Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

jerd
Topic Author

The silence is deafening

Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:30 pm

Hey all,

I have had a PhotoBridge for 9 months now. I bought it in February when the betas were rolling out one after another with significant communication from the Roku team. Up till today, I was a lurker in these forums.

9 months later, the silence around here from Roku is really beyond belief.

No one from Roku actively participates in the beta forum, let alone the general forum, where the only participation as of late was in response to complaints about RMAs. Normally I'd say I can't blame them for not caring so much about the beta forum, or letting the beta drag on for 11 months now (December 23, 2004 Patrick announced the 2.0 beta), but let's face it, how many people are NOT using 2.0.x? How useful is this box without it?

If I did not have any third party apps, I would be pretty pissed off that I ever bought this thing. With the third party apps, I am not pissed about it, rather just sad that this project has seemingly been abandoned by Roku. Any official reponse will say that they haven't abandoned it, yet all signs in fact point that way if you're a customer.

The third party apps that have been developed are GREAT (personally I use MPlay, SlimRoku, WeatherSix and Viper... and I'm sure the others are equally as great), and yet those developers who spend countless hours creating these great apps free of charge for us are limited by the lack of support and updates from Roku. API changes requested by those developers could make their apps infinitely better.

Anyway, to get to my ultimate point here, I only have one PhotoBridge, and now that I've got a significant library of DVDs ripped to my Infrant X6 (excellent NAS RAID box... great forums with active company involvement), I'm ready to stream my media throughout the house. HD1000's are nearly impossible to find (no thanks I don't want a refurb Rev A), although for $100 more I can get a HD1500 at my local Fry's that includes art packs I don't even want.

Next week I've got an Xbox 360 coming that retails for $399 (premium version with the hard drive).... the same price as the HD1500. The new MCE on the Xbox 360 supports streaming HD. At the same price, wouldn't I be crazy to go for a HD1500, or even a HD1000 at $100 less?

I realize I'm starting to write a book so I'll close this as quickly as possible. I don't care if Roku reads this or responds to it, and I don't care how many 'enjoy your crappy Xbox 360' replies I get. I'm just writing this in part to vent, but also in part to clarify how bungled the PhotoBridge product (project?) is right now. I don't see any other way to interpret it than Roku just doesn't really care about the PhotoBridge for one reason or another. It would be nice if they'd communicate that reason to the customers, but I've seen multiple requests for such go unanswered, as I'm sure this one will too.

davidd

Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:29 pm

I bought mine less than two weeks ago expecting to update the firmware.
I see less than a week ago RokuDave states its still a current product and current work is being done, and I bought it because it outputs HD properly.
I bought it knowing about the bugs etc, i guess i bought it at the right time.
I had a panic after the first few days but thanks to the endless and others im happy, your point about no roku presence in this forum is a jolly good one
Would be nice to know why the roku guys are keener on soundbridge and other non video devices and the PB seems to have been edged aside.
only roku knows.
Im happy, and when (i hope) roku bring out a HDMI device i will buy it.

Cheers

d

Roku HD1500 rev b
Sony Bravia LCD
Pioneer DVD
Yamaha Dts AV gear
Sky +
Sky HD........January !!

riyatch

Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:32 pm

i have had my HD1000 for over a year and was planning on purchasing a couple more for all the media areas in the house, but im thinking i will take my money else where at this point because im starting to lose faith that the hd1000 will ever live up to its potential. i actually am quite happy with the one i have but dont feel like supporting a product that the company really doesnt seem to care about.

WeeboTech

Dunno about this

Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:00 pm

I think they care.

They've showed me twice when my unit had trouble.

Perhaps they are just spread a little thin or are very busy.

I've seen progress and have gotten assistance when needed.

I do believe the HD1000 and successors have not achieved thier potential. At this point in time all we can do is make requests or move to another product.

I see alot of negative comments here, I'm sure it must be discouraging. From my experience I think they try hard. There's always room for improvement, but they still try hard.

We could have someone sitting here answering our questions, or sitting in the back corner programming..

MoJo

Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:00 pm

My only real gripe with Roku is with the disappearance of RokuDon. My assumption is that RokuAnthony put the kabosh on his posting, especially after the "best flower media player on the planet comment".

How RokuDon could go from a couple of months of extremely active forum posting (including meeting Marcello3d in person) to a single comment in the last 3 to 4 months (or more) is downright awful. Even the cascade forums are being ignored and important hints/requests from Marcello, Endless, Andy and other developers has fallen on deaf ears.

The Endless has taken on Roku tech support almost entirely on his own and for this the community is greatful. Shame on Roku.

Althought the other apps for the PB are awesome, if not for MPlay this unit wouldn't be worth a second glance. If the point here is to not let your competitors know what your up to, I think your missing the bigger picture.

Steve

soiaf

Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:29 am

MoJo wrote:
How RokuDon could go from a couple of months of extremely active forum posting (including meeting Marcello3d in person) to a single comment in the last 3 to 4 months (or more) is downright awful. Even the cascade forums are being ignored and important hints/requests from Marcello, Endless, Andy and other developers has fallen on deaf ears.

http://www.rokulabs.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4953

ojala

Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:57 am

I don't see myself buying useful products any longer but just supporting the US startup economy.

I bought the AudioRequest MP3 hd player a few years ago, very similar to HD1000 in that it had only the basic features implemented and took ages to implement even basic features, such as genre support. I even had to send the unit to Switzerland for audio card replacement because the original audio quality was so poor. Now the ARQ is in the basement doing nothing.

I bought the Roku HD1000 and thought it would be a marvel to play music and show videos. The basic software doesn't much more it did two years ago and if I installed a bunch of 3rd party products, I could get it to do some basic things. DVD watching? haha, dream on. I don't believe the unit will ever do subtitles, for example.

I was reluctant to buy any Roku product but last time in the US, I saw the HD1000 in Best Buy and I guess the athmosphere made be stupid and I bought it. Now the unit is in place, all my music is on the server but the flower unit cannot play much without skipping to the next track. It has soon been a year and no one in the family wants to use it any longer.

A few months ago I bought IntelliScanner's bar code reader with their Wine and Media softwares. The scanner sort of works, not a good one but occasionally it can read a barcode. From a dozens of DVD's it has been able to detect a few and I have yet to find a wine bottle it would recognize. Nice work.

I could put the devices up for sale on the local auction site but I still have some moral left and I don't like screwing people.

I need to start using drugs before I'll buy another product from a small US startup company. I guess the bubble made people blind and instead of making good products the only interest is to make the company look good enough for someone bigger to acquire.

Toots Mutant

Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:41 am

Bought a few ReplayTVs, only to see them get brokened/orphaned/screwed with/left in the hands of people who don't care.

Bought a couple of Rokus, only to see what we've been seeing.

With any luck, I'll have learned my lesson when shichi hits the market.

MoJo

Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:37 pm

Oh man... RokuDon is gone? Sigh....

dgburns

Re: Dunno about this

Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:32 am

WeeboTech wrote:
We could have someone sitting here answering our questions, or sitting in the back corner programming..

There's very little evidence here in the forum's that they do either....
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)
Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV
Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's
PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext
M1000 (upstairs)
HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)
Visco 32" LCD
AR 2.1 audio system
PS/2