Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

RokuDave

***NEW*** 17-Nov: Beta 2.0.36 now available

Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:39 pm

Greetings PhotoBridge Fans, We are pleased to announce our next beta software release, version 2.0.36.

If you are running 2.0.28 or later, you may upgrade to this beta automatically on screen from "Setup/Software Update", otherwise you must use the traditional compact flash method of upgrading. (See http://www.rokulabs.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2904 for details). You may use the traditional compact flash method of upgrading using the following URL:
http://www.rokulabs.com/developers/2.0.36/formatup.rok. The SDK has not changed and may be downloaded from: http://www.rokulabs.com/developers/RokuHD1000_SDK2.0.34.zip
The only change in this beta is a performance improvement:
    SMB throughput increase: Thanks to Jason at Infrant Technologies for the patch to smbfs that increased the segment size!
We appreciate your patience and are glad to provide these small enhancements in response to your requests.

Enjoy,
The Roku Team
Last edited by RokuDave on Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

soiaf

Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:34 pm

Just did a (very) rough test of the speed (averaged over a number of runs).
I seem to have gone from about 25 Mbit/s to just above 29 Mbit/s, so quite a nice performance increase.

Thanks for that!

Detonate

Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:36 pm

Good news!

soiaf, how the heck were you getting 25mbit off of SMB before this upgrade?

Now if I could just get my wife to turn off "The OC" I could go test this out!

Donald

Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:01 pm

Detonate wrote:
Now if I could just get my wife to turn off "The OC" I could go test this out!

Me too! Damned be Tivo! Damned!

soiaf

Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:35 am

Detonate wrote:
soiaf, how the heck were you getting 25mbit off of SMB before this upgrade?

If you look at this posting, you'll see you can test SMB speeds with copying a large file (to /dev/null to reduce/remove disk I/O related issues).

http://www.rokulabs.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2566

I did these tests with neither the PC nor the Roku doing anything else, so they are best conditions, but still a very good indicator of overall performance,

Detonate

Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:20 am

Well, I'm not sure what the contents of that post are supposed to reflect.

I judge my performance from mplay, as that really all that matters. And unfortunalty this firmware upgrade did not fix anything as far as streaming MPEG-2 over 18mbps.

soiaf

Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:02 am

Detonate wrote:
Well, I'm not sure what the contents of that post are supposed to reflect.

I'm talking about raw speed transfer, the new update is definitely an improvement.
I didn't say that it would result in perfect video playback.

I for example have a video clip that does work ok with VLC, but doesn't work correctly on the PhotoBridge even over HTTP - which is a lot faster than SMB or NFS on the PhotoBridge.
If you have video playback issues I would suggest you do the same thing that I did, contact RokuDave and arrange to send him a video file that you're having problems with.

chackett

Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:24 am

I must have really bad karma. I installed this update last night (using the automatic update feature) and it completely hosed transfers off of SMB shares. I can still see everything, and browse through the directories and files (either through the GUI or by telnet), but even Sonata (which is usually very robust) is choking on trying to play an mp3 file; constant rebuffering (every few seconds). If I try to run the timing test by telnetting into the Roku, it just hangs up (or the transfers are VERY slow, I've never had the patience to let it run more than a few minutes with a 100 MB file).

I've tried doing a reset to factory defaults and deleting all account information and setting up the shares again, but it didn't help. At this point, I'm going to have to buy a card reader because I can't even copy the 2.0.35 update file over my network onto the card in the Roku so that I can revert to the previous firmware.

Anyone have any ideas on what the problem may be? Or any suggestions on commands I can run when I telnet into the Roku that might provide some clues as to what's going on?

I'm sharing off of a dual-GHz PowerMac G4, 1.5 GB RAM, running 10.4.3.

woodysd

Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:47 am

chackett -- You're not alone there buddy. To others I would upgrade with caution!!! My Roku was blazingly FASTER with 2.0.35. After installing the upgrade via the online method the time it takes for it to scan media is horrific. MPlay, SlimRoku struggle to open. Music plays unstuddered, but I can't browse the menu tree to even do anything.

Suggestions of what went wrong or if there's a cfg file I can verify that got updated. What exactly does this new version change? An executeable, cfg file?

Please advise,
Thanks

RokuDave

Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:30 am

woodysd wrote:
What exactly does this new version change?

The only changes in this new version are:
    * patch to smbfs in kernel to use larger segment size
    * version string change
The patch also enables a new smbmount option, so if you are intrepid you could revert your segment size to 4096 by adding the string "segment=4096" to the list of smbmount options in your smbprefs file. For example:
+//centipede/audio:sockopt=SO_RCVTIMEO=10,lfs,port=139,guest,username=guest,rw,ip=192.168.0.177,segment=4096
That's the theory, anyway. I haven't tested it very thoroughly.

Dave

Jowi

Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:41 am

RokuDave wrote:
woodysd wrote:

* version string change
The patch also enables a new smbmount option, so if you are intrepid you could revert your segment size to 4096 by adding the string "segment=4096" to the list of smbmount options in your smbprefs file. For example:
+//centipede/audio:sockopt=SO_RCVTIMEO=10,lfs,port=139,guest,username=guest,rw,ip=192.168.0.177,segment=4096

Dave

Hey Dave,

thanks that you have added my german translation. Now i dont have to merge the translations every time after an update. :D

Jowi
M740 AV 2.2.24b + Roku PhotoBridge + Zensonic Z500 -> Fritz!Box Fon WLAN 7050 -WDS- Fritz!Box Fon WLAN 7170 -> Buffalo LinkStation mit Twonkyvision 3.1.

chackett

Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:44 pm

RokuDave wrote:
woodysd wrote:

* version string change

Dave

I'll give that a shot before I try reverting to 2.0.35. Any chance that a larger segment size could cause some sort of problem with the SMB implementation in OS X?

RokuDave

Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:49 pm

chackett wrote:
Any chance that a larger segment size could cause some sort of problem with the SMB implementation in OS X?
Unlikely, but I suppose it is something to consider. A network dump might be illuminating.
Dave

chackett

Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:56 pm

RokuDave wrote:
chackett wrote:
Any chance that a larger segment size could cause some sort of problem with the SMB implementation in OS X?
Unlikely, but I suppose it is something to consider. A network dump might be illuminating.
Dave

Is that something you could talk me through (figuratively speaking, of course)?. I'm a complete newbie at Unix. If it's just a matter of typing in a few commands and capturing the output, I'll do it and post the results (or send them to you in a PM).

leenuxg33k

Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:39 pm

chackett wrote:
RokuDave wrote:
chackett wrote:
Dave

Is that something you could talk me through (figuratively speaking, of course)?. I'm a complete newbie at Unix. If it's just a matter of typing in a few commands and capturing the output, I'll do it and post the results (or send them to you in a PM).

does tcpdump or ethereal come with osx? If so its real easy to use tcpdump.

tcpdump -s 512 -w networkdump.bin