Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

chackett

Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:55 am

rgwirtz wrote:
I've been trying to figure this out, so thanks for the tip, but could you walk me through how to do this? I open the smb.conf file with text edit? Then what do I do, add lines to format the buffer size? Sorry, I'm a linux newbie. Thanks.

I don't know if Text Edit will work; the file has to have the proper line returns or it won't work. I've always used nano, the Unix text editor built into OS X.

Here's what you do:
1. Open the terminal
2. Type "cp /etc/smb.conf /etc/smb.conf.back" (so that you'll have a backup copy if you hose things)
3. Type "sudo nano /etc/smb.conf" and enter your login password at the prompt (assuming you're an administrative user)
4. Add the following line somewhere in the [global] section at the start of the file:
socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_KEEPALIVE SO_SNDBUF=65535 SO_RCVBUF=65535
Make sure that it's all on one line by itself. You can cut and paste to do this, but you have to use the arrow keys to move the cursor around in the file. The above "socket options" should be on it's own line when you're done.
5. Hit Control-O (that's the letter o) and hit RETURN to write the changes out to smb.conf
6. Hit Control-X to exit nano.

At this point, you should either stop and restart windows file sharing, or reboot your mac, and you should be all set.

You can check your transfer speeds by telneting into the PB and doing a timed copy of a large file from one of the smb shares; there's a method in the unofficial faq.

Good luck; let me know if you have any other questions.
Roku HD1000 Rev B
Pioneer Elite 50" Plasma
Artison Portrait LCR
Polk 60ti L, R, LR, RR
Velodyne DD-18 Subwoofer
Yamaha RX-V2500
Motorola DCT-6412
Home Theater Master MX-3000

rgwirtz

Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:51 am

Thanks for the quick response. I'm having some trouble following the procedure you laid out. I opened terminal and logged in (I'm the admin so universal access). I logged in and got this message.

Welcome to Darwin!
tcsh: Cannot open /etc/termcap.
tcsh: using dumb terminal settings.

Am I missing something that's not installed? I can't seem to find a directory on my hard drive that is "etc".

chackett

Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:00 pm

rgwirtz wrote:
Thanks for the quick response. I'm having some trouble following the procedure you laid out. I opened terminal and logged in (I'm the admin so universal access). I logged in and got this message.

Welcome to Darwin!
tcsh: Cannot open /etc/termcap.
tcsh: using dumb terminal settings.

Am I missing something that's not installed? I can't seem to find a directory on my hard drive that is "etc".

I'm not exactly a unix expert either. I'm not sure why you're getting the error message when you open a shell, but I'm guessing that it will still work; you're not trying to do anything fancy.

Also, when you say you "logged in", what do you mean? You should just double-click on the Terminal application and start from there in the window that opens up.

The /etc directory is a hidden directory at the root level of your hard drive; you can't see it in the GUI. If you just type in the command I listed, it should work. The leading slash is very important; it tells the shell to start at the root directory of your hard drive, not in your user home directory (which is where you start out by default).
Roku HD1000 Rev B

Pioneer Elite 50" Plasma

Artison Portrait LCR

Polk 60ti L, R, LR, RR

Velodyne DD-18 Subwoofer

Yamaha RX-V2500

Motorola DCT-6412

rgwirtz

Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:30 pm

Well, the reason I actually thought I needed to login was that when I tried the command line to just make the backup copy of the smb.conf file, I got this message? What am I missing? Is there some permissions thing I'm not aware of? Thanks.

cp: /etc/smb.conf.back: Permission denied

chackett

Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:45 pm

rgwirtz wrote:
Well, the reason I actually thought I needed to login was that when I tried the command line to just make the backup copy of the smb.conf file, I got this message? What am I missing? Is there some permissions thing I'm not aware of? Thanks.

OK, sorry; I didn't think you'd be blocked from just copying the file.

You have to type sudo first (ie "sudo cp /etc/smb.conf /etc/smb.back:) and then type in your password.

The system won't let you modify important files unless you're the root user; you can become the root user on a temporary basis by adding "sudo" before every command. I think it actually grants you root privileges for a defined period of time, so that you don't have to type "sudo" over and over again, but I'm not sure about that. You don't have to issue many commands, so it's probably easier to just type it.
Roku HD1000 Rev B

Pioneer Elite 50" Plasma

Artison Portrait LCR

Polk 60ti L, R, LR, RR

Velodyne DD-18 Subwoofer

Yamaha RX-V2500

Motorola DCT-6412

chackett

Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:45 pm

rgwirtz wrote:

OK, sorry; I didn't think you'd be blocked from just copying the file.

You have to type sudo first (ie "sudo cp /etc/smb.conf /etc/smb.back") and then type in your password.

The system won't let you modify important files unless you're the root user; you can become the root user on a temporary basis by adding "sudo" before every command. I think it actually grants you root privileges for a defined period of time, so that you don't have to type "sudo" over and over again, but I'm not sure about that. You don't have to issue many commands, so it's probably easier to just type it.
Roku HD1000 Rev B

Pioneer Elite 50" Plasma

Artison Portrait LCR

Polk 60ti L, R, LR, RR

Velodyne DD-18 Subwoofer

Yamaha RX-V2500

Motorola DCT-6412

rgwirtz

Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:01 am

Thanks! It worked great, and SlimRoku is much faster now.

chackett

Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:28 am

rgwirtz wrote:
Thanks! It worked great, and SlimRoku is much faster now.

Cool; it's great to get the chance to help someone else out, since I've received a lot of assistance from other users here.

What kind of transfer rates are you getting? You can use the "time cp" test to check it out, if you haven't already. I'm curious.
Roku HD1000 Rev B

Pioneer Elite 50" Plasma

Artison Portrait LCR

Polk 60ti L, R, LR, RR

Velodyne DD-18 Subwoofer

Yamaha RX-V2500

Motorola DCT-6412

GQStlyle

port 139 is closed

Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:41 pm

Anyone get this error after upgrading to the new firmware? I am having this issue, but only with one computer on the network, unfortunately it happens to be the computer with all my mp3, etc... I can access the same shares from other networked computers on the LAN just not from the PB to this specific computer. It worked fine before I installed SlimServer and upgraded the firmware. Firewall is not on and I have a LinkSys Router. I have not tried to downgrade the firmware to test if it is the firmware, was just hoping someone else had this issue or seen it somewhere where my searches have come up empty.

Any help/direction would be greatly appreciated.

Growe

Tue May 23, 2006 12:13 am

updated to 2.0.36 and the clocks and aquarium don't work... What is the answer. Everything else seems to work oK

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Tue May 23, 2006 5:13 am

Growe wrote:
updated to 2.0.36 and the clocks and aquarium don't work... What is the answer. Everything else seems to work oK

Well, the answer to clocks is in the sticky thread immediately below this one: http://www.rokulabs.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3468
I'm not sure about aquarium...

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

skifiend

Tue May 23, 2006 11:44 am

TheEndless wrote:
Growe wrote:

Well, the answer to clocks is in the sticky thread immediately below this one: http://www.rokulabs.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3468
I'm not sure about aquarium...

TheEndless

Aquarium works for me on 2.0.36 but not the Clocks ArtPack. Will try the update later.

skifiend

Wed May 24, 2006 7:56 am

skifiend wrote:
Aquarium works for me on 2.0.36 but not the Clocks ArtPack. Will try the update later.

Updated the Clocks ArtPack and it works fine with 2.0.36. The update required the Photobridge to reboot as when I first inserted the CompactFlash, the device became unresponsive. Granted, I switched the cards when it was off, so perhaps it was expecting the previous card...

The World Clock is pretty cool. I can verify that Aquarium, Nature and Clocks ArtPacks work fine with 2.0.36. I have to try the Classics ArtPack yet.

tjdebon

Wed May 24, 2006 10:49 am

skifiend wrote:
Updated the Clocks ArtPack and it works fine with 2.0.36. The update required the Photobridge to reboot as when I first inserted the CompactFlash, the device became unresponsive. Granted, I switched the cards when it was off, so perhaps it was expecting the previous card...

The PB is never actually swithed "off"; it only goes into pass-thru mode. Any application running on the CF card must be stopped before removing the ard or else the system will hang just like a PC woiuld hang if you ejected a disk it was using. If you have a swap file on the CF you must unmount that too. I think a script was posted for doing that.

mjt5282

Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:40 am

since the web site was re-arranged, the http://www.rokulabs.com/developers/... URLs all don't work, so you can't download firmware upgrades at this moment. (the formatup.rok files)
PB1000 Rev. A (X3), PB1000 Rev. B (X3), SlimServer 6.5.4 + Nero MediaHome (for transcoding to MPlay)