Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Jelte
Topic Author

Getting the IP back (without reboot)?

Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:59 am

Hi there,

I've been playing around with my PB for a few weeks now, and have been trying to get SlimRoku and MythRoku to work. I'm slowly getting there, but I have a more generic problem.

Every now and then, my Roku (perhaps because something crashed), loses its network connection. When this happens the thing first seems to become unresponsive, but that is purely because it can no longer access the samba drives (where all apps and media are stored).

Clearly I have to work out what is causing this, but I have a more generic question: Right now i have to physically remove the power cable for a reboot. And rebooting seems the only thing that gets the network back up.

Since the thing is effectively running linux, surely there's a better way than a reboot. So two main questions:

1- is there a way to effectively do an ifdown eth0; ifup eth0; ?
2- if not, is there a better way to do a reboot?

I've been thinking about writing a script that will do both of those things, compiling them into an *.app (how?), and putting them on a CF card.... That way when it gets its nickers in a twist, I can run either or from the cf card to get a working system. Rather than having to pull out cables etc...

System:
- Photobridge HD1500 rev B
- wired (router: USR 9106)
- connected to a samba machine

Are there any 'reboot' / 'reset network' third party apps already ?

/Cheers,
JElte

soiaf

Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:23 am

You don't have to pull the plug to reboot, if you hold the power button down for about 5 seconds that also will do a reboot.

From the command line of the PhotoBridge there is a reboot command. If you want a little app to reboot your machine, you would make a simple text file (called something like reboot.roku - the .roku being important so the PhotoBridge sees it as an application) and place this on a compact flash card.

The contents of this text file would be very simple, just something like:
/sbin/reboot

but if you search the forms for 'reboot' you should other people who've done this.

Jelte
Topic Author

ah...

Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:29 am

That's very useful thanks! I'm lazy though, and the 5 sec power button trick doesn't seem to work from my remote, so I'll write that little reboot script :-)

glad to see getting scripts on the main menu is as easy as renaming the extension!

Still, rather nasty to just reboot for the sake of network config... might have a look around and see if I can get the network up from the commandline...

thanks!

soiaf

Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:43 am

If you want to play around on the command line, have a look in the
/usr/local/bin

directory, theres various commands like smbremount in there.

davidd

Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:22 am

If you just want to restart networking just do

/etc/init.d/network restart
Roku HD1500 rev b
Sony Bravia LCD
Pioneer DVD
Yamaha AV gear
Sky +
Sky HD........January !! if they release it as promised! - they didnt, now they want £300 !!!
Roku, maybe its time for the mini mac core duo ???

Jelte
Topic Author

Thanks!

Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:25 am

Thanks a lot guys... i have the reboot working just fine (not that it was hard ;-)), and the networking restart is ready to be tested... as soon as it loses it again, we'll see if it worked..

On to mythroku problems now ;-)

dgburns

Re: ah...

Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:37 am

Jelte wrote:
the 5 sec power button trick doesn't seem to work from my remote

Correct, it doesn't work from the remote. It's the "power button" on the front of the box.
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)
Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV
Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's
PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext
M1000 (upstairs)
HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)
Visco 32" LCD
AR 2.1 audio system
PS/2