Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

srobertson2469
Topic Author

Mplay playback question and swap file

Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:12 am

I frequently play back some vob files that are being shared off a RedHat Fedora Core 4 server. Sometimes the same movie plays back w/o any issues, sometimes it drops audio or video. I can usually fix the problem by pressing the back 30 seconds button and than letting the movie resume.

Will creating a swap file on a CF card help eliminate these issues? Will mplay take advantage of a swap file on a CF card?

The roku and RH server are connected via 100MB Ethernet and a 4 port Linksys ethernet switch. I've made sure to not touch the RH server or configuration to make sure I keep the environment as stable as possible.

The mplay application is being hosted off a Windows XP share attached to the same network at 100MB as well.

I'm running the latest version of mplay and the 2.0.36 beta.

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Mplay playback question and swap file

Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:19 am

srobertson2469 wrote:
I frequently play back some vob files that are being shared off a RedHat Fedora Core 4 server. Sometimes the same movie plays back w/o any issues, sometimes it drops audio or video. I can usually fix the problem by pressing the back 30 seconds button and than letting the movie resume.

Will creating a swap file on a CF card help eliminate these issues? Will mplay take advantage of a swap file on a CF card?

The roku and RH server are connected via 100MB Ethernet and a 4 port Linksys ethernet switch. I've made sure to not touch the RH server or configuration to make sure I keep the environment as stable as possible.

The mplay application is being hosted off a Windows XP share attached to the same network at 100MB as well.

I'm running the latest version of mplay and the 2.0.36 beta.

I can't imagine the swap file would make a difference with video playback. Are you using the MPlayDVD.roku file or the MPlay.roku file to watch the videos? The former implements the -FixTS flag which is specifically designed to help eliminate audio glitches. If it's losing video as well, that would suggest that it's a network problem. Are you running wired or wireless, and are you doing anything else on the network when this happens? It's also possible that the smb changes in 2.0.36 are the culprit. Did you have the same problems with earlier versions of the Roku firmware?

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

srobertson2469
Topic Author

Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:27 am

EndLess,
Sorry for the delay in responding.....

I believe I'm using the MPlay.roku file but will confirm that tonight. My connection to my RedHat server is 100MB wired and the network is quiet except for the stream coming into the Roku.

As far as 2.0.36 being the culprit, I've had this issue with previous revs as well and have been pretty good with applying every rev as it comes out.

Since sometimes I can playback a movie w/o any issues and sometimes I playback that same movie w/issues I'm inclined to believe it's not MPlay. Is there anything I can trace while I'm playing back to help find the cause?

I'm not strong at all with the command line side of the roku and always use the GUI when I select the MPlay.roku file sitting out on one of my SMB shares. Not that it makes a difference, but the MPlay.roku file is sitting on a Win2000 machine at 100MB wired and the VOB files are on a RedHat 100MB wired server.

Thanks for your help!

dgburns

Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:05 am

On the Redhat machine try opening two terminal windows. Run 'top' locally in one, telnet to your Roku on the other and run 'top' once logged in. Then start a movie playing back from the Roku GUI at your TV.

Watch the CPU percentages on both, see if one or the other is maxing out.

Since you don't mention NFS, I assume your using the default SMB sharing. If so, from the top window on the Redhat machine you could try increasing the CPU priority of smbd. Look for which smbd entry is getting most CPU percentage, hit 'r' (for renice), then at the prompt enter the PID of that smbd and give it a nice of something like -8 (for higher CPU priority than most anything but the kernel).
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)
Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV
Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's
PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext
M1000 (upstairs)
HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)
Visco 32" LCD
AR 2.1 audio system
PS/2

srobertson2469
Topic Author

Sat Dec 17, 2005 5:57 pm

Endless,
I upgraded to your latest version and made sure I'm running the MPlayDVD with the -fixTS option. Things are working great now. Videos that use to cause problems now play just fine. I've tested these videos w/ and w/o a swap file with no difference in performance.

Before trying the MPlayDVD version, I did run the top command as recommended in another response to this thread to check the load on my RH server and the utilization was low. The MPlayDVD version did the trick.

Keep up the great work. I love the app!!!