Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

turbodog
Topic Author

Is Roku planning to "end-of-life" the HD1000?

Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:24 am

The reason I ask is that the symptoms are all there and VERY closely parallel my own experience working for a software company as we struggled with killing off a product line. To wit:

- a year old beta with little or no production release in sight
- no forum for user feature requests (as exists for the Soundbridge)
- no response to questions with respect to the HD1000 future
- sketchy support for advertised features
- Is there a product roadmap? Product Manager? If so, and I
missed it, what's next for the HD1000?
- I'm fishing here, but like many small tech companies, a need to satisfy investors and centralize focus on a core area with demonstrated success (ie. SoundBridge).

Before you jump all over me, I love my HD1000. But let's face it, it isn't ready for prime-time. If you are willing to deal with the "management overhead" of keeping it running/making it work, no problem. But my dad is not a hack, and unless it "just plain works", it ends up gathering dust on a shelf (like the one I bought him).

I truly appreciate the support and openness Roku has shown in developing this product, but I can't help but feel a debate/discussion is underway at Rokulabs regarding "just what to do" with the HD1000.

But I hope and pray I am wrong.

RokuMike, RokuPatrick, RokuEngineering - you folks are great and I appreciate your support. Any chance we might hear from RokuCEO?

aceface

Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:28 pm

BTW - Has anyone bought the XBOX 360 and how does it function as a media center????
SOLD!! ROKU rev.A w/swap card w/rewired PSU
XBOX360
SONY 3000ES Digital Receiver
SONY 37" Plasma
Ethernet & Wi-Fi Network
Verizon FiOs
WIN XP & MAC OS X
Buffalo Technologies Link Station server

Steve Criz

Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:55 pm

aceface wrote:
BTW - Has anyone bought the XBOX 360 and how does it function as a media center????

I'd like to know that as well...

Maybe those who have bought the X-BOX 360, are too busy using their units and couldn't be bothered even checking back in here - even to gloat. :(

jerd

Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:50 pm

I have a 360 (pre-ordered in August), and it does seem to stream videos just fine, but I have not installed Windows XP MCE yet to try the other functions (such as the DVR functions).

The reason I haven't installed XP MCE yet is because of the one feature I was hoping the 360 would have and the one feature I really want out of my Roku: it cannot stream DVD images, therefore, no DVD menus or navigation. You can only rip the DVD and play it back as a normal video file, as you can with the Roku.

Needless to say, my excitement for the 360 extender functions is subdued, and I probably won't get excited again until they have CableCARD tuners for Windows Vista MCE next year.

Still waiting for the elusive 'perfect' media streamer. The Roku is SO close. If they could just implement the features in the SDK that TheEndless has requested, we could have DVD menus and navigation support. :roll:

BTW... streaming DVD image support was specifically excluded by Microsoft because of the implied support of bypassing DVD encryption to rip the images to a hard drive. This was cited as one of the reasons Microsoft is supporting HD-DVD over BlueRay. This type of use would be allowed and supported by the format. Who knows what BlueRay will bring, as everyone is declaring BluRay the winner already. The 360 also does not (yet) support streaming discs from the Sony 300 disc DVD changer/XP MCE that was just released, although it sounds like it might be supported soon.

I have high hopes for this http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000370051638/ (they are claiming streaming DVD image support with full support of DVD menus and navigation) but it's not available yet and gosh, it would really look out of place with the rest of my equipment (what were they thinking??).

Also, there are lots of rumors about Apple getting into this space in January, but as with all Apple rumors, could be completely false, and could be very underwhelming if you have sky-high hopes. My guess is Apple would have the same issues as Microsoft with DVD image streaming since they want to stay friends of the entertainment industry.

I REALLY want to love the HD1000, I hope one day soon it becomes an important project for Roku again. The lack of support for the HD1000 actually caused me to skip buying a SoundBridge and go with the 'slimmer' competition.

Bottom line (my opinion of course): 360 is great for games, but no need to rush if you want the Media Center Extender features, unless you don't care about DVD menus/navigation and encrypted HD.

Have I rambled on enough now? :wink:

swingnstar

Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:59 pm

Great review and comments. Thanks very much.

cutecasper

Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:54 am

My comments to XBOX360:

My x-Box360 was loud, it dit NOT play HD video and it ended up with an overheated CPU. I'm waiting for repair since 10 days...
--
You never run out of things that can go wrong... (Murphy)
--

cutecasper

Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:07 am

I'm reseller for Roku in Germany.
My information is as follows (from the european importer):

Roku has changed manufacturer for HD1500 and will not be able to deliver units to germany/europe before February 2006.

Bye... Casper.
--

You never run out of things that can go wrong... (Murphy)

--

Zoxxo

Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:26 am

I have the 360 and I did load the media extender software. It plays well enough, but the performance as a media extender was kind of wonky. At first I could navigate through the media menus and play my music, videos, etc., but after a couple of minutes the menu navigation lagged so bad it became unusable. This happened several times and enough for me to stop using the 360 as a media extension.

I'll stick with Roku, which has had a much better track record for me...

Z.

jerd

Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:44 am

cutecasper wrote:
I'm reseller for Roku in Germany.
My information is as follows (from the european importer):

Roku has changed manufacturer for HD1500 and will not be able to deliver units to germany/europe before February 2006.

Bye... Casper.

Assuming this is true (not questioning credibility, just taking it with a grain of salt), why couldn't Roku just post that on these boards with so many people wondering why units weren't available? Forgive me, but I don't see any reason to keep that information from customers. Perhaps there is more to the story? Hardware upgrades/modifications? One can hope.

On the other hand, if that's not true.... who knows. :roll: Am I crazy for still holding out hope that the Roku overlords will throw us PhotoBridge people a bone?

dgburns

Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:22 am

jerd wrote:
why couldn't Roku just post that on these boards

Not with that kind of detail and no follo-up to resulting questions, but Roku HAS posted about units not being available in stores for a while.
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)
Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV
Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's
PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext
M1000 (upstairs)
HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)
Visco 32" LCD
AR 2.1 audio system
PS/2

dgburns

Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:25 am

cutecasper wrote:
My x-Box360 was loud, it dit NOT play HD video and it ended up with an overheated CPU. I'm waiting for repair since 10 days...

Gee...other than the loud comment, you could be talking about the Photobridge! :oops:

But seriously, how could MS be so blind to technology to have released the 360 without any digital video ouput???!!???? Brain dead......

M1000 (upstairs)

Visco 32" LCD

AR 2.1 audio system

PS/2

dgburns

Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:28 am

jerd wrote:
Who knows what BlueRay will bring

I doubt the issues will be any different, though BluRay does bring totally new concepts to content protection whereas HD-DVD seems to be just re-hashing older ideas. :?: :shock: :?:

Yup, that TViX is ugly...but....

M1000 (upstairs)

Visco 32" LCD

AR 2.1 audio system

PS/2

aceface

Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:47 am

dgburns wrote:
cutecasper wrote:

Gee...other than the loud comment, you could be talking about the Photobridge! :oops:

But seriously, how could MS be so blind to technology to have released the 360 without any digital video ouput???!!???? Brain dead......

Cutecasper did you get the core system??? I've heard of the chipset overheating. HD specs below:
Xbox 360 High Definition Details

The folks here at Xbox® have taken a bold step by declaring that all games that appear on the Xbox 360™ video game system will support high-definition resolutions up to 720 progressive scan and 1080 interlace. It's important to note the difference between this policy and that of the original Xbox® console. With games on the original Xbox, developers had the option to support HD graphics, but Xbox 360 demands that all games feature high-definition options. To clear up some confusion, here are a few key points to bear in mind regarding high-definition support on Xbox 360.

* You do not need a TV that supports high definition to use the Xbox 360 system. Like all consoles before it, Xbox 360 works perfectly on standard-definition TVs (the resolution for standard def is 480 interlace).
* The high-definition support for Xbox 360 is dynamic, so even if a game is designed with 720p in mind, but your TV only supports 480p or 1080i, Xbox 360 runs the game in the best resolution your TV offers (up to 720p and 1080i).
* If you do plan on running games in high definition with your HDTV, you'll need the Xbox 360 Component HD AV Cable, which comes standard with the Xbox 360 system (not the Xbox 360 Core System) and is sold separately as well.
* If you're using the Xbox 360 VGA HD AV Cable to connect your Xbox 360 console to a computer monitor or TV monitor with a VGA connection, you'll have the opportunity to select from a variety of resolutions. They are:
o 640 x 480
o 848 x 480
o 1024 x 768
o 1280 x 720 (equivalent to 720p)
o 1280 x 768
o 1280 x 1024
o 1360 x 768
* Whether using the Xbox 360 Component HD AV Cable or the Xbox 360 VGA HD AV Cable, you'll find the resolution settings in the System menu on the Xbox 360 Dashboard. Select Console Settings in the System menu, and then select Display to find all your resolution options.

Xbox 360 offers unprecedented support for high-definition gaming, yet it remains flexible as well. Whether using a standard definition TV (480i), an HDTV with only one progressive scan option, or an HDTV with every available option (up to 720p and 1080i), or even a computer monitor, Xbox 360 will employ the best resolution your TV or monitor can display.
SOLD!! ROKU rev.A w/swap card w/rewired PSU

XBOX360

SONY 3000ES Digital Receiver

SONY 37" Plasma

Ethernet & Wi-Fi Network

Verizon FiOs

WIN XP & MAC OS X

Buffalo Technologies Link Station server

museumsteve

Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:32 pm

I have an Xbox360 and MCE PC. I had a few issues at first but a bit of jiggery pokery and it's lush :)
The media extender works flawlessly and after reading a few forums I installed HDTVpump onto my MCE PC and 360 now stream TS stuff very nicely. Infact one thing that really stood out was that some of the TV shows I watch (Prison Break for example), where commercials have been edited out, the Roku would always lose audio (using Mplay), the 360 does not :) At the moment it is only good for single files but all mine are so I'm happy.
I dont think I would part wth my Roku (I have 2) but this was a nice surprise none the less :)

mlknez

Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:10 pm

museumsteve, do you need a xp pc running mce to stream to a 360 or can you mount an smb share (like the hd1000) and stream without a pc?