Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

aceface

Re: Is Roku planning to "end-of-life" the HD1000?

Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:40 pm

stevepetersen wrote:
This thread has sort of become a review of the xbox 360, but I would really like to hear a response from Roku on the original topic - what is the roadmap for this product?

It's already been a long wait for that ROKU response my friend, just cruise the other PB HD1000 forums and you will see for yourself.
Out of frustration and excitement explains the reason for the XBOX 360 thread that another product may possibly come along and equal the potential of the PB HD1000.
Unfortunately for us frustrated ROKU fans, Steve Criz has appropiately provided the answer.
Last edited by aceface on Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SOLD!! ROKU rev.A w/swap card w/rewired PSU
XBOX360
SONY 3000ES Digital Receiver
SONY 37" Plasma
Ethernet & Wi-Fi Network
Verizon FiOs
WIN XP & MAC OS X
Buffalo Technologies Link Station server

meteo

Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:14 pm

I too am waiting...I would love to order a Photobridge but am waiting for some evidence of future support. If there was some indication that a new version was on it's way especially if there was some digital video out (DVI or HDMI), I would get one today. I just don't want to purchase something that is already obsolete with no future.

rcolbert

Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:59 pm

xwing wrote:
rcolbert, is this dlink 520 functionally equivalent to the roku hd1000 or the iodata avel linkplayer for streaming video over a lan? does it play .vob files? looking forward to your feedback.

I didn't like the Dlink all that much either, and returned it promptly. I had no issue reencoding my VOB's to MP4 if that was what it would take. I liked the idea that MS media would be better supported. I was disappointed in their seeming lack of compatibility with Nero MediaHome even though the device claims to follow the uPnp spec, and also experienced a few lock-ups.

That said, it's going to have to be something else moving forward. I expect that Denon will release a network media player in the next year of so (or some rumors have it anyway) and in the meantime, I'll probably make do with either an Xbox360 or repurpose some PC parts I have and build a MCE PC or some variant thereof.

HD transport streams were never my goal. I wanted untethered access to a DVD library stored on my home network, along with the basics like pcitures and music.

My overall impression is that the traditional companies (i.e. Denon, Kenwood, Sony, etc.) may have missed the boat so far, but are starting to warm up to the idea of network media players. Until a top-tier consumer product hits the shelves, this niche will likely remain the domain of crappy off-brands or gaming consoles. It's so sad, because it's easy to imagine a perfect product and yet no one is executing on it. When that happens, there is a great market opportunity that is simply being missed right now.

However, even without a media player at all right now, I don't miss the hassel and frustration of the HD1000, and now that DL DVD disks are approaching the $3.50 range even at Best Buy, my trusty ol' Denon DVD player is looking mighty good these days.

And the fact that my HD1000 sold for near-list price was a nice surprise.

dgburns

Re: Is Roku planning to "end-of-life" the HD1000?

Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:47 am

Steve Criz wrote:
just in case someone at Roku has a revelation and releases V2 software that turns this boulder littered goat track that I've negotiated so far, into a smooth as butter super highway?

There's exactly ZERO indication in either the web site or these forums that there's absolutely ANY future beyond what's available right now. None.

I keep coming back hoping...but now I pretty much just keep coming back for what the 3rd party developers are doing. If it were any other kind of product, the indications would lead one to believe the PhotoBridge is an orphaned device. :x :( :x
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)
Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV
Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's
PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext
M1000 (upstairs)
HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)
Visco 32" LCD
AR 2.1 audio system
PS/2

wrk24wheel

Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:19 am

I must say I am getting a little dissapointed with this product. I started out with an XBox modded to use XBMC (xboxmediacenter.com) as a nice small media center. I am not a gamer so I really don't care about it for the game aspect. At the time I bought this, XBMC was great, but it was no roku.

A friend of mine told me about the HD1000 so I bought one. It was head and tails above the XBOX. However, things have changed. XBMC has far exceeded the HD1000 in every aspect. As of the latest CSV release, I have replaced my HD1000 with another modded Xbox. The development team is great. Releases are weekly and the program consistently gets better. It is not the easiest thing to mod and setup initially, but then again, neither is the HD1000 in it's current form. I hate to completely give up on Roku, but it does look as if development for the HD1000 is not where they are putting their resources.

bscrivener

Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:51 am

I got my roku last night (rev a refurb for $199) and I don't know what you are talking about being hard to setup or use.

This thing is great. I'm already watching my DVD collection off of my nslu2 network share with mplay. It took me about 30 minutes to get to this point.

1. put 2.0.34 firmware on CF card
2. put CF card in roku
3. reboot roku, wait a few minutes
4. add network share
5. run mplay
6. watch movies

How hard is that?

XBOX mods are neat, but buying the box, mod chips, performing the mods and installing the custom code is nothing like using this. I'm already pleased with my purchase.

Bo

dgburns

Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:22 am

bscrivener wrote:
XBOX mods are neat, but buying the box, mod chips, performing the mods and installing the custom code is nothing like using this. I'm already pleased with my purchase.

Neat, sure, and also consider NO XBMC will every be able to output TRUE 1280x720 or 1920x1080 hidef video. The hardware's just not capable. XBMC is cool if you're still using a standard def TV, but once you've bought a HDTV, feeding it with SD input sucks.

M1000 (upstairs)

Visco 32" LCD

AR 2.1 audio system

PS/2

WiFiSpy

Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:14 pm

the US xbox360 can play PAL 1080i/50 HD videos

I too have not used my beloved roku since I got the 360 :cry:

the only thing the roku does that the 360 cant is: play multipart HD .ts's seamless.

-Tyler

I watched a 24Mb/s HD movie with zero dropouts via the 360. something that the roku could never do.

if the roku could pass DTS then i would drop the 360 in a second.
:D
I love my Roku HD1000 REV. A :)

davidd

Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:39 am

jerd wrote:
cutecasper wrote:
I'm reseller for Roku in Germany.
My information is as follows (from the european importer):

Roku has changed manufacturer for HD1500 and will not be able to deliver units to germany/europe before February 2006.

Bye... Casper.

Assuming this is true (not questioning credibility, just taking it with a grain of salt), why couldn't Roku just post that on these boards with so many people wondering why units weren't available? Forgive me, but I don't see any reason to keep that information from customers. Perhaps there is more to the story? Hardware upgrades/modifications? One can hope.

On the other hand, if that's not true.... who knows. :roll: Am I crazy for still holding out hope that the Roku overlords will throw us PhotoBridge people a bone?

I bought mine last month on next day delivery.
Im in the uk and ordered it direct from the roku website.
Roku HD1500 rev b
Sony Bravia LCD
Pioneer DVD
Yamaha AV gear
Sky +
Sky HD........January !! if they release it as promised! - they didnt, now they want £300 !!!
Roku, maybe its time for the mini mac core duo ???

dgburns

Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:55 am

WiFiSpy wrote:

I'd get a 360 if it had digital video output (DVI, HDMI, etc.). But since it doesn't, and would appear from the teardown reports I've read that there's no physical support inside (i.e. there'd either have to be some add-on or some "next generation" 360), I've already got a high-priced analog video only playback device (the Roku) and don't need another. Holding out hope PS/3 will deliver with digital video out capability.

M1000 (upstairs)

Visco 32" LCD

AR 2.1 audio system

PS/2

jor

Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:08 pm

has xbox360 been opened up yet?

I read some of the vague pronouncements from MS about how hack proof it would be. They didn't really say why they were opposed to the practice, presumably about selling the units 'for a loss' if you're not going to buy game titles as well.

dgburns

Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:58 am

jor wrote:
has xbox360 been opened up yet?

Opened up physically, yes, a couple sites on the web had internals documented on launch day.

I haven't seen that anyone's been able to hack it's OS, yet....

M1000 (upstairs)

Visco 32" LCD

AR 2.1 audio system

PS/2

jerd

Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:28 am

dgburns wrote:
Opened up physically, yes, a couple sites on the web had internals documented on launch day.

I haven't seen that anyone's been able to hack it's OS, yet....

For those who haven't seen it, the step-by-step disassembly by Anandtech:

http://www.anandtech.com/systems/showdoc.aspx?i=2610

Steve Criz

Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:55 pm

dgburns wrote:
WiFiSpy wrote:

I'd get a 360 if it had digital video output (DVI, HDMI, etc.). But since it doesn't, and would appear from the teardown reports I've read that there's no physical support inside (i.e. there'd either have to be some add-on or some "next generation" 360), I've already got a high-priced analog video only playback device (the Roku) and don't need another. Holding out hope PS/3 will deliver with digital video out capability.

What's so wonderful about Digital connection over Analogue? I'm running DVI from my HD 'set top box' to my 83cm Sharp Aquos LCD HDTV, and I'll be buggered if I can see any improvement over Component connection. Wasn't worth the cost of the DVI cable!! Oh... it does free up a component input for the X-Box360, so that's a positive.

As for HDMI... check out the cost of conversion cable to get your HDMI player to connect to a non-HDMI viewing device. YIKES!!! so you decide to get the HDMI enabled HDTV, and pay more for the privilege... then you find that you want to play something that's not HDMI 'compliant', namely doesn't return royalties to Sony... and guess what? It doesn't play! Cool!! That definitely makes it a must have! Yay, general rejoicing because the consumer has been duped yet again. "Praise whatever Lord you want to thank" go the company executives "that the mosh of humanity has more cash than cogniscence".

Bring on the next round of promised improvements. I can't wait to hear what the next generation of connection will bring to a format that isn't even close to semi-saturation of the market place. Strange how 'Snake Oil' doesn't smell like 'Snake Oil' when it's called a digital connection format.