Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

jerd

Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:20 pm

mlknez wrote:
museumsteve, do you need a xp pc running mce to stream to a 360 or can you mount an smb share (like the hd1000) and stream without a pc?

To use the Media Center Extender functionality in the 360, you need Windows XP MCE, however, you can also stream videos to the 360 through the Media blade using Windows Media Connect in a standard version of XP.

EDIT: I stand corrected, museumsteve correctly points out this is currently NOT possible, you can only stream music and view pictures through a Windows Media Connect/Xbox 360 combination.
Last edited by jerd on Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zoxxo

Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:25 pm

mlknez wrote:
museumsteve, do you need a xp pc running mce to stream to a 360 or can you mount an smb share (like the hd1000) and stream without a pc?

You can stream from an XP box or an MCE box. You'll need to download software from Microsoft to get either box up and running. The difference between the two is that an XP box will give you a basic UI from the 360, and the MCE box will load the MCE interface (on the 360) that you would normally see on the MCE box.

Z.

Steve Criz

Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:45 am

museumsteve wrote:
I have an Xbox360 and MCE PC. I had a few issues at first but a bit of jiggery pokery and it's lush :)
The media extender works flawlessly and after reading a few forums I installed HDTVpump onto my MCE PC and 360 now stream TS stuff very nicely. Infact one thing that really stood out was that some of the TV shows I watch (Prison Break for example), where commercials have been edited out, the Roku would always lose audio (using Mplay), the 360 does not :) At the moment it is only good for single files but all mine are so I'm happy.
I dont think I would part wth my Roku (I have 2) but this was a nice surprise none the less :)

Dude... That's music to my ears!! A PAL HD watcher who can verify that the 360 works with PAL HD.

The Roku was knocked flat on it's face with PAL HD up unitl this very last Beta version, which - while I can now watch HD edits of my FX-1e HDV material - has unique bugs that have knocked out the networkability of the unit. What Roku giveth with one hand; Roku taketh away with the other. :(

Just one query - are you watching High bitrate HD (on or above 19.3Mbit) via your X-Box360? That's the real test. Anything that's broadcast is likely to be around the 12-13Mbit mark, or 720p 25 rather than 1080i 50 - so any further info of what you're actually pumping to screen via the 360 would be very worthwhile.

museumsteve

Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:54 am

I'll test some 'heavy' files over the weekend and let you know :)

As for XP..you cannot use XP for videos at all through 360, if you use XP and wmc/wmc2 it only allows streaming of pictures and music, definately not videos.

Steve Criz

Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:54 am

museumsteve wrote:
I'll test some 'heavy' files over the weekend and let you know :)

As for XP..you cannot use XP for videos at all through 360, if you use XP and wmc/wmc2 it only allows streaming of pictures and music, definately not videos.

Ahhhh... you've just answered one of my biggest concerns regarding the OS to be able to stream videos to the 360.

Bit of a bummer that MCE has to be running to do so. I really didn't want to go mucking around with installing a new OS just to get the functionality.

Thanks for the 'heads up!!'

museumsteve

Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:42 am

Yeah, it's naughty as it's only done to get people to buy MCE when they've already purchased XP.

mlknez

Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:11 am

Is it possible to stream video from an MCE box to a xbox 360 if the drive is network attached to the MCE box?

museumsteve

Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:43 pm

I'm gonna try some variations this weekend. I have a MCE PC, an XP machine and a Win 2003 server all on the network so will try different options.

museumsteve

Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:53 pm

yay..couldn;t wait to try this one so I created a shortcut on my MCE PC pointing towards a folder on my XP machine on the network..Xbox360 MC played it perfectly (and it was a TS file).
Lots of fun tonight for me then ;)

rcolbert

Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:06 pm

MY HD1000 is EOL in 5 more days:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Roku-Photobridge-HD ... dZViewItem

This is now sitting in my garage waiting for me to install (probably tonight):

http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=1&pid=438

From buy.com with a 30-day retrun policy. If it doesn't work out either, then I'll be building an MCE PC or figure something else out.

xwing

Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:53 pm

rcolbert, is this dlink 520 functionally equivalent to the roku hd1000 or the iodata avel linkplayer for streaming video over a lan? does it play .vob files? looking forward to your feedback.

dgburns

Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:23 am

rcolbert wrote:
This is now sitting in my garage waiting for me to install (probably tonight):

http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=1&pid=438

From buy.com with a 30-day retrun policy. If it doesn't work out either, then I'll be building an MCE PC or figure something else out.

I guess it depends what you're going to want it to do. It doesn't support AC3 or DTS audio, so it's not going to be much good for playing back much of any HD TS files, let alone DVD VOB files. From the specs, it seems almost wholly focused on MS WMV/WMA data, with a smattering of other type support. It is also unlike the Photobridge in that it requires you to install "server software" on a Windows (only) PC, so no connecting to files on Linux or OSX machines.

For the guy that was looking for something with PCM audio support though, maybe this be the ticket?

On the flip side, nice to finally see a box with HDMI support! If only it wasn't so MS-centric.... :(
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)
Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV
Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's
PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext
M1000 (upstairs)
HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)
Visco 32" LCD
AR 2.1 audio system
PS/2

drew138

Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:13 am

museumsteve wrote:
Yeah, it's naughty as it's only done to get people to buy MCE when they've already purchased XP.

I suspect it is more to get people to upgrade to Vista next year.

stevepetersen

Is Roku planning to "end-of-life" the HD1000?

Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:00 am

This thread has sort of become a review of the xbox 360, but I would really like to hear a response from Roku on the original topic - what is the roadmap for this product?

When is a real 2.X release going to be available, complete with up-to-date documentation?

Will it provide full UPnP support for images and videos?

Will it support an integrated media playback experience? I appreciate the open platform aspect of this product, but IMHO the core functionality of this product (playing audio, video, images, internet radio) should be integrated into an application provided by Roku. This is essential for the product to compete with the fierce competition on the horizon (and it will be fierce). At the point where this product has a competitive user experience, the availability of third-party apps will push it into a category where other products can't compete.

Roku, don't squander this opportunity - from the other products I have evaluated in the market (I have XP-MediaCenter, XBOX-based Media Center Extender, NAS, twonkyvision, Soundbridge and Photobridge technology in my home, and I have evaluated other MCE technology) this product has a chance at being a market leader.

I almost love my Photobridge. Push that next release out there. The market is yours if you want it.

Steve Criz

Re: Is Roku planning to "end-of-life" the HD1000?

Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:21 pm

stevepetersen wrote:
This thread has sort of become a review of the xbox 360, but I would really like to hear a response from Roku on the original topic - what is the roadmap for this product?

When is a real 2.X release going to be available, complete with up-to-date documentation?

Will it provide full UPnP support for images and videos?

Will it support an integrated media playback experience? I appreciate the open platform aspect of this product, but IMHO the core functionality of this product (playing audio, video, images, internet radio) should be integrated into an application provided by Roku. This is essential for the product to compete with the fierce competition on the horizon (and it will be fierce). At the point where this product has a competitive user experience, the availability of third-party apps will push it into a category where other products can't compete.

Roku, don't squander this opportunity - from the other products I have evaluated in the market (I have XP-MediaCenter, XBOX-based Media Center Extender, NAS, twonkyvision, Soundbridge and Photobridge technology in my home, and I have evaluated other MCE technology) this product has a chance at being a market leader.

I almost love my Photobridge. Push that next release out there. The market is yours if you want it.

From what you've written - it appears you already have some idea of the frustration of those who had such hopes for the Photobridge 1000.

Some of that disillusion ends up being expressed through discussion of competitive products, most of which were only on the drawing board at the time of the Roku's release.

If Roku's roadmap for the product matched that of those early purchasers we would not even be discussing competing products. There's an uneasy air of lethargy and resignation permeating the responses from those at Roku who could have made the attempt to provide us with the HD media player that was intially hyped.

How far along a road must you go before you realise that it's no longer a path, but a uncared for over-ambitious project that now leads nowhere.

From roku's standpoint, the Soundbridge is a much better product. It deals with delivering only one thing - Audio, and as such it doesn't have to deal with the bizarre array of formats, data rates, resolutions, software and hardware combinations that a HD (and therefore SD by backward comaptability requirements) Video/Still Image and Audio network player has to cope with.

Wouldn't you be a little embarrassed if you had got caught up in your own hype, only to find out that your product would only reach a fraction of the touted abilities for a very small number of people? Only natural really to put that product onto the 'back-burner'...

The true frustration as a HD1000 owner is that if these new HD capable media player type products give the true fault free HD playback I've dreamt of from my Roku... should I hold off, just in case someone at Roku has a revelation and releases V2 software that turns this boulder littered goat track that I've negotiated so far, into a smooth as butter super highway?

I suspect Roku will be doing exactly what most of us will be doing - waiting to see what happens...