Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

tjdebon
Topic Author

No music after upgrading to 2.0.36

Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:21 am

I upgraded to 2.0.36 via the web. I've cleared and rescanned the shares and reloaded soiaf's codecs and rebooted ad nauseum - :? - but I have not done a full reset.

Sonata/Listen can play an mpg file from the CF card. Sonata/Listen seems to constantly rebuffer trying to play an MPG from SMB share. And it hangs/crashes trying to play any m4a files anywhere. WMA didnt work either. Sonica can scan and build the database but won't play m4a's (haven't tried mpgs).

I'm using a wireless g bridge and router, don't recall the brands/models.

Photo and slideshow seem to work fine, except when Listen crashes a share or... Sometimes when I refresh the SMB share directories it returns "no valid meda files exist". SlimRoku and WeatherSix work OK (at least for hte few seconds I tested them).

Any advice/input would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Tom

chackett

Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:47 am

Have you checked your transfer speeds? The same thing happened to me after I upgraded, and it turned out I was getting SMB transfer speeds of around 0.7 Mbps instead of 26 Mbps. I'm still not sure what happened, but downgrading to 2.0.35 and re-upgrading to 2.0.36 seemed to fix the problem.

To check your speeds, telnet into the Photobridge and type the following:

time cp mnt/smb/yourserver/yourshare/somebigfile dev/null

When you get the response (in seconds), divide it into the number of bits in the file and you have your transfer speed. It should probably be a big enough file that your transfers take a minute or so.
Roku HD1000 Rev B
Pioneer Elite 50" Plasma
Artison Portrait LCR
Polk 60ti L, R, LR, RR
Velodyne DD-18 Subwoofer
Yamaha RX-V2500
Motorola DCT-6412
Home Theater Master MX-3000

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Re: No music after upgrading to 2.0.36

Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:56 am

tjdebon wrote:
:? - but I have not done a full reset.

I'm still running 2.0.34, because I don't see any reason to update. So I can't say from personal experience, but...

Per the 2.0.35 instructions (http://www.rokulabs.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=28833&highlight=#28833):
**NOTE** If you do the network upgrade you will need to reset to factory defaults (press Setup/System Information/Factory Reset) in order to see the user interface strings in the Music Player application.

So, if you're upgrading from 2.0.34 directly to 2.0.36 a reset is probably necessary. I don't know if that would be the case with a 2.0.35->2.0.36 upgrade or not.

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

tjdebon
Topic Author

Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:48 am

aaaw! :oops: Thats it. :oops: I upgraded from 2.0.34 directly to 2.036 and hence overlooked the need to reset. It was therapuetic to write out the message and think through all the possible issues/steps. That's when I realized I hadn't done the reset. I'll do that tonight. Thanks for pointing out my oversight.

P.S. I'll also check transfer speeds.

tjdebon
Topic Author

Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:54 pm

Bad news. Factory reset did NOT fix anything. Same symptoms -- plays mpg fine from CF card, rebuffers every few seconds from an SMB share, hangs whenever trying to play an m4a music file.

A 130,789 KB file transferred in 94.434 seconds --> about 11MB/sec transfer speed over a wireless G bridge.

I'm reverting back to 2.0.34 and will wait for rev 37.