I too can appreciate where your coming from, many people just want to take it out of the box and have the system work (though theres really no network media device that really does that yet).
I'm a bit frustrated waiting for the Soundbridge radio to be launched, it was November, then December, now end January. Until thats out I think we're going to remain the forgotten product.
Things that I would like to see (I don't expect everyone to agree with my list!
* Get version 2 finished!
* Fix the AAC codec (to allow playing from compact flash, and network stuttering problems). Also stop it crashing if someone accidently tries to play an Apple Lossless file using it.
* Include the FLAC and WavPack codecs as standard. They're small, free and provide good funtionality.
* Modify the SDK so sub-picture streams in videos are exposed (to provide support for subtitles)
* Support for DTS in videos
* Modify the SDK to provide information on the 'fullness' of the decoder buffer
* Allow flushing of the decoder buffer
* Fix the mime type functionality for Sonata to improve streaming functionlity (doesn't seem to work at the moment)
I'm aware that some of the video decoder issues may be dependent on underlying Xilleon funationality.
I then think that we could start looking at version 2.5 of the firmware
* Some more the the music functionality of the SoundBridge, possibly also supporting things like DRM from WMC etc.
* Better UPnP funationality
* Music Tag plugin model