Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

jimre

Happy Beta Anniversary!

Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:29 am

Today marks one full year of 2.0 Beta, with no release date yet in sight. Woo-hoo!

GeneArch

Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:40 am

Were you waiting all year for that? An alarm set in your PC's or PDA's calendar? A post it on your bathroom mirror? A note on your refrigerator? A messenger service to deliver the reminder? A string tied around your finger?

:mrgreen:

skippy76

Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:35 am

And there was me thinking that Roku would surprise us with another BETA release.... and it's Friday too!!!!!

[Edit]
... grinch mode ...
Maybe if they spent less time adding Santa Hats to the Roku logo on the website and more time on development of the PB then the BETA would be GA by now...
... end grinch mode ...

chackett

Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:06 pm

Or, even better, less time on the SB and more time on the PB.
Roku HD1000 Rev B
Pioneer Elite 50" Plasma
Artison Portrait LCR
Polk 60ti L, R, LR, RR
Velodyne DD-18 Subwoofer
Yamaha RX-V2500
Motorola DCT-6412
Home Theater Master MX-3000

chackett

Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:17 pm

I'm trying to remain optimistic as long as the SB Radio has not shipped. Once it's out the door, I'm hoping development for the PB firmware will pick up.

If not, then I'll likely become as bitter and cynical as many (but not all) of the other users here seem to be, should I get more involved with recording my own HD video (something I'm not doing much of at the moment).

If I don't get involved with video, then I'll remain probably remain happy; the PB (with the help of soiaf, bpwwer, and TheEndless) is already a champ at playing my digital music files with playlists, etc. displayed on my plasma (which is the reason I got the PB rather than the SB in the first place). And the entire system seems much more stable than it was last September when I first got it, thanks to Roku (partially) and the aforementioned third-party developers (mostly).
Roku HD1000 Rev B

Pioneer Elite 50" Plasma

Artison Portrait LCR

Polk 60ti L, R, LR, RR

Velodyne DD-18 Subwoofer

Yamaha RX-V2500

Motorola DCT-6412

Home Theater Master MX-3000

sam.thorpe

Second Cousin

Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:58 pm

Yeah, this whole beta thing is a cruel joke. How long can you fake commitment to a product?

Here's my plea for the Roku PB team: Get back to the basics. Please make the photo and music capabilities stronger (it's why you moved any units in the first place), then rev the movie playback functionality and stop chasing native support of specific NAS devices and the concern with having an open platform and SDK. Relying on 3rd party developers to build the reason for buying your "platform" is dangerous.

Johnny consumer wants what he saw in the store to be fully functional. I'm feeling like a paid a bunch of money for a hobbyist hack device. I personally recommended this unit to 3 other friends who purchased this and I'm having to constantly apologize for the "tip." Most of them are now looking to the XBox 360 to be a convergence device for all of these things and ready to toss their PB.

Sorry for the negativity. But please make sure your product marketing and positioning is consistent with the goals of your product manager/development team. The box in the store suggested the PB had a full screen visualization feature for listening to music. Fulfill the product's destiny before we all give up on it.

Thanks.
Sam Thorpe

leenuxg33k

Re: Second Cousin

Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:07 pm

sam.thorpe wrote:
Yeah, this whole beta thing is a cruel joke. How long can you fake commitment to a product?

Here's my plea for the Roku PB team: Get back to the basics. Please make the photo and music capabilities stronger (it's why you moved any units in the first place), then rev the movie playback functionality and stop chasing native support of specific NAS devices and the concern with having an open platform and SDK. Relying on 3rd party developers to build the reason for buying your "platform" is dangerous.

If anything they need to improve the SDK! don't tell them to stop! Geesh!

They need the same SDK for their own apps anyway!

sam.thorpe wrote:
Johnny consumer wants what he saw in the store to be fully functional. I'm feeling like a paid a bunch of money for a hobbyist hack device. I personally recommended this unit to 3 other friends who purchased this and I'm having to constantly apologize for the "tip." Most of them are now looking to the XBox 360 to be a convergence device for all of these things and ready to toss their PB.

Then Johnny consumer was an idiot! He should have asked to see the flower thing in action. I agree it was unacceptable to have the visualizer on the box, I've never seen that thing anywhere!. But come on, I don't drop $300 on something that looks good on the box.

sam.thorpe

Granted

Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:22 pm

Certainly I understand that the underlying architecture needs to evolve in order to evolve the product's capabilities, but there is a considerable amount of time invested in publishing and supporting a SDK. I would rather see the time invested in stronger native functionality.

I bought the device early before these boards filled up, but absorbed the research and marketing that was available. Again, I was expecting to have a fully functional photo viewing and music listening device.

You're not really suggesting that I shouldn't expect more from a $300 product just becuase I didn't see a canned floor demo, and that therefore I should be content with the underwhelming nature of this product, are you?! :)
Last edited by sam.thorpe on Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sam Thorpe

leenuxg33k

Re: Granted

Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:06 pm

sam.thorpe wrote:
You're not really suggesting that I shouldn't expect more from a $300 product just becuase I didn't see a canned floor demo, and that therefore I should be content with the underwhelming nature of this product, are you?! :)

Did you not have 30 days to return the product? I would never expect a Company to fullfill future promises. Thats why I wish the SDK was more advanced* so the third party developers could make this what it can be. Roku has lost interest in this product and the SDK is the only thing saving it.

* - Ultimately I would be 99% happy if the SDK had the ability to have callbacks on the status of the video buffer.

sam.thorpe

Appreciate your position

Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:19 am

I kept the unit beyond 30 days because I was intrigued and believed in the potential of the product - and knew that it was a v1.0. Back to my first post, I'm grouching because I was operating under the reasonably logical assumption that there would be meaningful updates in semi-annual or annual cycles.

I can appreciate where your coming from. But in a sense, from my perspective, you're making my point. You're a Linux programmer, so you enjoy coding against the PB SDK. I'm a programmer, too, who has no desire to write an app for this unit. I just want what I thought I was getting (a complete product out of the box)...which now turns out to be a computer with linux OS, video card, 1080i output and an SDK.

(Which incidentally might actually be worth $300, but, again, shouldn't be positioned as a consumer product.)

So, back to the line: commit to the product or don't.
Sam Thorpe

leenuxg33k

Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:44 am

I can understand where you're coming from as well.. But I've learned it many times before to not buy something from a company based on future promises. You will always be dissapointed.

soiaf

Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:46 am

I too can appreciate where your coming from, many people just want to take it out of the box and have the system work (though theres really no network media device that really does that yet).

I'm a bit frustrated waiting for the Soundbridge radio to be launched, it was November, then December, now end January. Until thats out I think we're going to remain the forgotten product.

Things that I would like to see (I don't expect everyone to agree with my list! :) )

* Get version 2 finished!
* Fix the AAC codec (to allow playing from compact flash, and network stuttering problems). Also stop it crashing if someone accidently tries to play an Apple Lossless file using it.
* Include the FLAC and WavPack codecs as standard. They're small, free and provide good funtionality.
* Modify the SDK so sub-picture streams in videos are exposed (to provide support for subtitles)
* Support for DTS in videos
* Modify the SDK to provide information on the 'fullness' of the decoder buffer
* Allow flushing of the decoder buffer
* Fix the mime type functionality for Sonata to improve streaming functionlity (doesn't seem to work at the moment)

I'm aware that some of the video decoder issues may be dependent on underlying Xilleon funationality.

I then think that we could start looking at version 2.5 of the firmware :)
with
* Some more the the music functionality of the SoundBridge, possibly also supporting things like DRM from WMC etc.
* Better UPnP funationality
* Music Tag plugin model

pg_rider

Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:04 pm

soiaf wrote:
Things that I would like to see (I don't expect everyone to agree with my list! :) )

* Support for DTS in videos

I'd be happy with just this! And if we could somehow get support for .wmv video my faith in humanity will be restored!!!!! :D

soiaf

Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:52 pm

pg_rider wrote:
And if we could somehow get support for .wmv video my faith in humanity will be restored!!!!! :D

Well, with UPnP support, using something like Nero MediaHome already provides this.
Native support for WMV? The CPU is not really capable of doing this I'm afraid.

pg_rider

Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:01 pm

soiaf wrote:
pg_rider wrote:
And if we could somehow get support for .wmv video my faith in humanity will be restored!!!!! :D

Well, with UPnP support, using something like Nero MediaHome already provides this.
Native support for WMV? The CPU is not really capable of doing this I'm afraid.

Yeah, I've heard that before, and I think getting something like MediaHome working for me is beyond my capabilities.... :D