Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Derail
Topic Author

Can't downgrade from .36

Mon Dec 26, 2005 8:03 am

Lots of buffering while trying to play music and the unit will not give up this version. No matter what version I put on the CF card it will just run forever without ever actually changing the firmware.

Derail
Topic Author

Re: Can't downgrade from .36

Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:32 pm

Derail wrote:
Lots of buffering while trying to play music and the unit will not give up this version. No matter what version I put on the CF card it will just run forever without ever actually changing the firmware.

Not everybody at once now.

soiaf

Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:50 pm

Are you sure you're using format.rok? (theres also a upgrade.rok)

http://www.rokulabs.com/developers/2.0.34/formatup.rok

And this is the same card you used to get to 2.0.36 in the first place?
And what does 'run forever' mean exactly?
You're holding the power button down for at leat 6 seconds with the card in the slot with the new firmware version (on the card) and then what happens?

Derail
Topic Author

Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:54 pm

soiaf wrote:
Are you sure you're using format.rok? (theres also a upgrade.rok)

http://www.rokulabs.com/developers/2.0.34/formatup.rok

And this is the same card you used to get to 2.0.36 in the first place?
And what does 'run forever' mean exactly?
You're holding the power button down for at leat 6 seconds with the card in the slot with the new firmware version (on the card) and then what happens?

Upgraded from the "Check for Latest Software" button.

What I meant by run forever is that with the formatup.rok on the CF Card the unit flashes the "Busy" light and the TV screen displays loading OS. I let it do this for 6 hours and it never loaded or downgraded the OS. Pulled the card and the OS finished loading and it was still the .36.
I have tried three different cards all of which I have used before in this unit. I have also tried several older versions of firmware to roll back to.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

soiaf

Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:27 am

Derail wrote:
Any ideas would be appreciated.

Sounds like it should be working alright. The only thing I can suggest doing is sending a PM to RokuPatrick or RokuDave in case they have any ideas.

dgburns

Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:07 am

Maybe, while you have .36 running, try plugging in the CF card with the older firware version on it, and see if the OS recognizes the card and can read the file. You'd have to telnet into your Roku and then access the CF Card mounted in /tmp/Volumes. See if you can 'cp formatup.rok /dev/null'.
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)
Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV
Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's
PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext
M1000 (upstairs)
HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)
Visco 32" LCD
AR 2.1 audio system
PS/2

Derail
Topic Author

Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:31 pm

dgburns wrote:
Maybe, while you have .36 running, try plugging in the CF card with the older firware version on it, and see if the OS recognizes the card and can read the file. You'd have to telnet into your Roku and then access the CF Card mounted in /tmp/Volumes. See if you can 'cp formatup.rok /dev/null'.

What are the commands after I get logged in on the HD1000.

Derail
Topic Author

Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:56 pm

# ls
Swap.roku formatup.rok swapfile
# formatup.rok
bash: ./formatup.rok: cannot execute binary file
# ls -l
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 638 Dec 26 00:14 Swap.roku
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 15581184 Dec 29 09:45 formatup.rok
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 30671872 Dec 26 06:24 swapfile
#

Is this normal when trying to execute the formatup.rok? Or is this the reason my unit will not roll back to an older firmware? :shock:

dgburns

Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:15 pm

Not sure.
I don't know if the upgrade procedure needs write access to the file on CF? Also don't know if the formatup.rok needs to be the only file on the card?

I suppose you could TRY:
remove the swap.roku and swapfile
do a 'chmod 777 formatup.rok'
do a HARD reboot (i.e. pull the power cord and plug back in)

M1000 (upstairs)

Visco 32" LCD

AR 2.1 audio system

PS/2

Derail
Topic Author

Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:02 pm

dgburns wrote:
Not sure.
I don't know if the upgrade procedure needs write access to the file on CF? Also don't know if the formatup.rok needs to be the only file on the card?

I suppose you could TRY:

Well, I would like for you to explain to me what that command is. It worked but I don't know why.

dgburns

Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:07 pm

Derail wrote:
dgburns wrote:
Not sure.

I suppose you could TRY:

Well, I would like for you to explain to me what that command is. It worked but I don't know why.

<G>
It makes the file world readable, writable, and executable. I.E. Mode 7 (4 for read, + 2 for write, +1 for execute) for owner, group, and 'all'. So a new 'ls -l' command would show the file permission as '-rwxrwxrwx' versus your original '-rwxr-xr-x'. Strange it worked because according to your ls-l it was owned by root and owner had full read/write/execute permission. It was a shot in the dark that perhaps the upgrade process (or downgrade process in your case) doesn't run with root priveledge. Leads me to think that process runs as some other user, AND the process needs write access to the 'formatup.rok' file, which before doing the 'chmod' only user root could write to the file.

But glad it worked regardless.

M1000 (upstairs)

Visco 32" LCD

AR 2.1 audio system

PS/2

Derail
Topic Author

Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:31 pm

dgburns wrote:
Derail wrote:
dgburns wrote:
Not sure.

I suppose you could TRY:

<G>
It makes the file world readable, writable, and executable. I.E. Mode 7 (4 for read, + 2 for write, +1 for execute) for owner, group, and 'all'. So a new 'ls -l' command would show the file permission as '-rwxrwxrwx' versus your original '-rwxr-xr-x'. Strange it worked because according to your ls-l it was owned by root and owner had full read/write/execute permission. It was a shot in the dark that perhaps the upgrade process (or downgrade process in your case) doesn't run with root priveledge. Leads me to think that process runs as some other user, AND the process needs write access to the 'formatup.rok' file, which before doing the 'chmod' only user root could write to the file.

But glad it worked regardless.

Thanks again. Where can I learn more about the commands used on this unit? :D

dgburns

Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:58 pm

Derail wrote:
Thanks again. Where can I learn more about the commands used on this unit? :D

The Rokus OS is linux-based. You can begin your knowledge search grasshopper at www.linux.org. Probably info on the Roku-specific stuff would my in the developer docs???

M1000 (upstairs)

Visco 32" LCD

AR 2.1 audio system

PS/2