Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

kklier

Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:41 pm

whats missing is some Play4Sure support....

DougM

Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:01 am

dgburns wrote:
I think you're right about "early on the curve" and "not working in your favor". The PhotoBridge was (and probably STILL is) too far ahead of high enough home saturation of truly HD capable TV's.

What other shipping products exist out in the market place today that one can buy now that will show JPEG and WMA on TV and HDTV via a home network?

Thanks for the advice.

mlknez

Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:07 pm

There are many available. Which one you want is dependent on your needs.

Here is a link on the AVS forum that shows a few. Be wary, most of the folks there don't know what they are talking about and the features they say exist or don't exist is largely incorrect.

jor

Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:46 pm

what's funny is how many of these new products are repeating the same mistakes/lessons we already know.

Like Pixel magic shipping a device that can't stream HD over the network (smb), but worked fine via nfs in the lab. But because they didn't want to support nfs, not in the release. NAS support had a cute unicode bug too.

For people who are willing to run a PC server, lots of ways to provide content. But if you're running a PC anyway, why not plug it directly into the TV?

soiaf

Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:01 pm

jor wrote:
Like Pixel magic shipping a device that can't stream HD over the network (smb), but worked fine via nfs in the lab. But because they didn't want to support nfs, not in the release. NAS support had a cute unicode bug too.

But at least they're releasing firmware upgrades :wink:
They even have published a roadmap - with FLAC support 8)

But the PhotoBridge is still a great box, for me the SDK, 3rd party support etc.is fantastic. I just wish Roku would stop ignoring it.. :cry:

jor

Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:52 pm

it could turn out ok, but when they're struggling to match the roku 2 years ago, I have my doubts. I see them joining Buffalo Tech in the list of failed replacements before someone makes a fully capable STB that will do the various mpg4 and wmv formats in addition to mpeg2 as the hd1000 does.

Gerald

Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:43 pm

jor wrote:
it could turn out ok, but when they're struggling to match the roku 2 years ago, I have my doubts. I see them joining Buffalo Tech in the list of failed replacements before someone makes a fully capable STB that will do the various mpg4 and wmv formats in addition to mpeg2 as the hd1000 does.

Struggling to match?

Since when has the Photobridge had full DVD menu support?

Interestingly, the "cute unicode bug" you referred to in your previous post was fixed in a firmware update that was released within hours (literally) of your post.

Personally, I reckon that says quite a lot about the relative level of support that the two companies give, have given, and will give, their respective products...

jor

Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:34 am

Gerald wrote:
Interestingly, the "cute unicode bug" you referred to in your previous post was fixed in a firmware update that was released within hours (literally) of your post.

Sure, but they had to go out and buy a buffalo just to find out what people were talking about.

And it still won't stream HD over a network connection. Like I said, struggling to match. Given time, maybe it will be worth considering.

dgburns

Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:52 am

jor wrote:
Sure, but they had to go out and buy a buffalo just to find out what people were talking about.

I guess the point was at least THEY are doing something about problems with their product? Unlike some....

That product LOOKS to be killer for what I want. Their roadmap claims NFS support coming soon, so perhaps with that it'll become worthwhile to try it out.

I looked through their forum some, but couldn't seem to locate a SMB streaming limit. We've got post after post here where people have run tests and such, but couldn't more info on this streaming over LAN issue over there?
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)
Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV
Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's
PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext
M1000 (upstairs)
HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)
Visco 32" LCD
AR 2.1 audio system
PS/2