Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

artroku
Topic Author

dead Roku??

Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:28 am

I rebooted my HD 1000 after it said it could not find media in my share.
Instad of rebooting, the screen started flashing green/red..quickly, and now it won't turn on.

I unplugged the power cord and tried again. same thing.
The power light never turns on.

Is there any hope for this?

I've used this for 18 months without any problems.
(well ventilated)

thanks

andy

Re: dead Roku??

Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:10 am

artroku wrote:
I unplugged the power cord and tried again. same thing.
The power light never turns on.

Is there any hope for this?

It seems likely you have a dead power supply. If you can answer yes to all of these questions it is almost certain:

* Does the power light stay off always?
* Is the unit cold even after being plugged in for a long time?
* Does the component pass-through not work?

For a dead power supply on an out-of-warranty unit, you can either pay Roku to do it ($75 when I checked in December) or do it yourself. If you are inerested in the DIY route, I have posted some instructions here:

http://frequal.com/roku/PowerSupplyRepl ... Guide.html
Andy Oliver
LiveSpy: Watch Live Webcams:http://frequal.com/LiveSpy/roku/index.html
VncSix: Web Surfing+:http://frequal.com/roku/VncSix/index.html
SongInfo:http://frequal.com/roku/SongInfo/index.html

artroku
Topic Author

Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:26 am

Yeah....sounds like I'm t he newest vicitim.
I already emailed Roku.

I's funny, I've built a whole system around the HD1000 that links everythign to the main TV and receiver in the living room (DVD jukebox on PC, all our photos, music on PC that goes through the HD1000 to the 2-zone speaker system and all my rooms, HDTV PC card, etc.)...this unit just went dead and I feel totally burned, yet addicted to this thing. I've had it setup 18 months without a problem and need it fixed ASAP.
Such a love-hate relationship, I wish Roku would pump this up and market it as a digital convergence machine. They should have or should rename it the VIDEObridge, or PCbridge or something that doesn't link it to PHOTOS.
So many reviews I'e read say 'why would I spend $300 on a photo viewer'. In reality...it does so much more. Anyone that has ever seen it in action in my setup has been totally floored. My Sony HDTV and receiver are interegrated into every media file I have. My whole house is integrated for that matter. It's such a great product. Oh well.

(By the way, the 3rd party apps you guys wrote like Mplay are great - if any of you re reading this)

As far as I can tell this is the best/only unit on the market.

I'll just have to suck it up and wait for his to get fixed and I think i'll unplug it after every use to save the Power Supply next time.

RidinRon

Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:26 pm

I found and used andy's instructions. I bought a Morex power supply from logicsupply.com and I'm now up and running again. Had to drill a couple of holes in the case. It came with a 12V DC input connector, so I didn't have to buy one. Ordered the power supply on Friday and it was here on Thursday. Here is a photo of the completed power supply

mcornwell

Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:37 pm

Does it run any cooler with the aftermarket PS? Mine isn't dead yet, but at the termperature that my unit runs, I wouldn't be surprised if it gave up the magic smoke any day.

RidinRon

Runs Cooler

Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:21 pm

I measured the temperature of the case after streaming music to my Bose stereo for four hours, and it measured 86 deg F at the warmest point. I placed a screen over the hole where the AC plug was. This may let the case run cooler.

ned7077

Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:58 pm

The day I read this thread, mine died. I can't believe it. I used it a few days ago without a problem, but tried to look at some photos and nothing. At least I knew what the problem was. The inside cover of my rev. a has black soot like a capacitor popped, I hope it's just a PS and nothing more. Thanks to Andy and RidinRon for the PS info.

RidinRon, which Morex supply did you order, the 60W?

ned7077

Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:28 pm

Please disregard my questions as I found the mother dead PS thread and read through several of the posts there.

marvod

Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:54 pm

So mine just died this weekend. Same symptoms but its not the Power supply. I opened the case and took a volt meter to it and the power supply is working.

BTW, I had the PS replaced by ROKU about 10 months ago.

Does ROKU still repair these?

Burkhardi

Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:10 am

marvod wrote:
So mine just died this weekend. Same symptoms but its not the Power supply. I opened the case and took a volt meter to it and the power supply is working.

BTW, I had the PS replaced by ROKU about 10 months ago.

Does ROKU still repair these?

Yes, Roku still replaces the power suppllies last I knew. last I heard, it was free for warranty and $75 for out of warranty.
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku