Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

IlkkaNisula
Topic Author

Roku cant play MPEG2 TS files correctly

Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:00 am

Hi,

I just bought Roku photobridge 1500. I wan't to use it to play recordings recorded with Nebula DVB-T PCI card and Nebula software (windows).

Roku cannot play MPEG TS files in original broadcast format. Also MPlay applet fails to play the files. Is there any way to get the file to play correctly withouth transcoding it?

Here is a sample file from Finnish TV in MPEG2 TS format:

http://nixu.netholic.com/roku/Alias.mpg

I have latest 2.x beta release in use since I need to have PAL support.

KevMcK

Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:11 am

The file you posted doesn't appear to be a valid transport stream...
No sync bytes, and the Cisco stream analyzer reports no PAT, PMT, or PCR.

It looks more like a program stream, though some of my PS tools don't like the format much either -- when I split the file down to elementary streams, the video ES doesn't appear to be MPEG-2.

Windows media player will play your clip, though my decoder suggests that it may be MPEG-4 video.

I'm travelling this week and I'm limited to the testing I can do from my laptop, but if you think this clip is a valid MPEG-2 TS, I could try running it through the video lab when I'm back in the office on the 30th.

Kev

IlkkaNisula
Topic Author

Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:19 am

Yes this is a valid MPEG2 TS recorded withouth any transcoding. I can demux the same video with project-x and then author it to DVD-video disk with withouth any transcoding.

soiaf

Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:26 am

I guess you're seeing the same thing I get, the built-in player does try to play it, but with bad picture break-up and it seems to 'skip' parts of it.

I'd suggest sending a PM to RokuDave as hes looking for 'problem' video clips, this would seem to meet that criteria.

I tried playing it using Nero MediaHome (so UPnP to the PhotoBridge) and it played fine.

IlkkaNisula
Topic Author

Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:22 pm

How did you manage to get Nero mediahome working?

I tried also the evaluation version of Nero Media home CE and could not get roku to play/show anything except my MP3 files and photos?

Edit: OK I figured it out. My dual athlon MP 2100 machine doesn't have enough cpu power to transcode the file on the fly :).

Nero mediahome CE doesn't seem to support dual processors and transcoding is done in one thread only. The one thread is since taking only 49% of my total CPU load. I guess the same applies also to newest hyperthreading machines which show two virtual processors...

Well I have to wait for RokuDaves answer since I dont yet have enough power to transcode files on the fly with excisting non-optimal software like Nero mediahome.

Do you know any other software that can do transcoding with using less CPU power, VLC? What about UPnP server implementation for VLC?

soiaf

Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:51 pm

Well, I have the full version of Nero, but I would have thought the evaluation version would be fine.

Once I've added the folder where my video files are to MediaHome (top icon on left hand side, 'shared directories') then I start the MediaHome server.

A few seconds later when then icon appears for Nero on the PhotoBridge desktop, I go to
'Browse' -> 'All Videos' ->'By folder' -> my folder -> and select Alias

I don't think I do (or ever did) anything more than that, it just works fine.

IlkkaNisula
Topic Author

Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:03 am

I got Nero working (see edit on my previous post). I just have too slow CPU.

I was wondering how do you see the filenames on Roku? I browsed the videos by folder and did not get any filenames visible, just empty thumbnails and error message on top of them saying stating something like "error happened during accessing this device". I could start playback from those thumbnails, but have no idea what thumbnail is what.

I have 100 videos, 7000 photos shared with nero media home CE evaluation version to roku. I wonder if Roku has some limit in number of files on UPnP server...

soiaf

Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:40 am

As I mentioned, I have the full Nero package (latest version) and my PC has an X2 4400+ so I probably have enough raw speed as well.
I certainly can see the file names etc.

VLC could certainly play your file fine (for me anyway), so it should be able to transcode/stream to the PhotoBridge (maybe using something like MPlay HTTP mode). I've never tried this though...