Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

cutecasper
Topic Author

Help needed to implement font with german umlaut

Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:24 pm

Hi everyone.

I need a little help on how to get and implement a font that supports german umlaut (üöä = ue, oe, ae) and other special characters like ß (= double-s).

I find it very annoying that the file-listings (i.e. in sonata mp3-player) are ruined by these stupid boxes the hd uses instead of the german characters.

Any help is appreciated.

Bye... Casper.
--
You never run out of things that can go wrong... (Murphy)
--

soiaf

Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:42 pm

There was a discussion about this is one of the Sonica threads, heres the start of it

http://www.rokulabs.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=22698#22698

but I forget what the conclusion was (you'll have to dig a bit I'm afraid).

I have umlaut etc. showing correctly in Sonica (can't test in Listen/Sonata as these are FLAC files, different tagging system).

Edit: Looks like this was the conclusion

http://www.rokulabs.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=23448#23448

cutecasper
Topic Author

Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:05 pm

Hoi soiaf.

Thanks for your reply.

I have significant problems usind Sonica with my 150.000+ mp3files, and I like the clearly arranged look of the built-in player, so I'm not using Sonica. To be honest: I didn't manage to get it running only one time. (on the complete library! :( )

After reading the discussion, I'm convinced this is a Roku-developers issue then, right?!

---

It's interesting that the HD swallows up the next two characters after the special character, and sometimes adds extra words from other lines at the end of the titles.

So for example:
line1 "Der Anfang",
line2 "Die Türme" and
line3 "Die falsche Versuchung"
ends up in displaying
"Die T[]e", or sometimes
"Die T[]esche Versuchung" in line2.

Scrolling up and down over this line2 sometimes changes the display to
" Die T[]efang"

If this is a multi-byte encoding problem, it sits very deep in the code, I guess.

Bye... Casper.
--

You never run out of things that can go wrong... (Murphy)

--

soiaf

Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:18 pm

150,000 :shock:

I think Sonica uses the same basic fonts and underlying code for displaying text as Sonata, so if it works in Sonica, it should work in Sonata.
As I mentioned I use FLAC (and WavPack) as my formats, so if I want to see proper tags I have to use Sonica (well, I like using Sonica :) )

You are correct that to support your tags as is would probably require Roku to do some development/modification, unless you want to start re-editing the tags on your files in the format that the PhotoBridge expects/wants.

As a test, you should try looking at the tags in MP3tag (link in the above posting). It'll probably show them correctly, but it would be good to check.
They (the MP3tag developers) are definitely aware of umlaut etc. :wink: