Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

dj7675
Topic Author

Twonkyvision UPnP Soon?

Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:00 am

I have been looking into Twonkyvision and I see the Soundbridge is on their list of supported devices for music. I don't see the Photobridge as a supported media player. I am assuming this is because 2.0 is still in beta. Once 2.0 is final will the photobridge work with Twonkyvision and be on their list of supported media players?

I downloaded and installed 3.1 trial and it works to a certain extent. It does not see .ts files for example. It would be great to hear from Roku on some sort of timeline for 2.0 final and what will be in it.

Darin

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Twonkyvision UPnP Soon?

Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:50 am

dj7675 wrote:
I have been looking into Twonkyvision and I see the Soundbridge is on their list of supported devices for music. I don't see the Photobridge as a supported media player. I am assuming this is because 2.0 is still in beta. Once 2.0 is final will the photobridge work with Twonkyvision and be on their list of supported media players?

I downloaded and installed 3.1 trial and it works to a certain extent. It does not see .ts files for example. It would be great to hear from Roku on some sort of timeline for 2.0 final and what will be in it.

Darin

I've got Twonky working fine with my PhotoBridge. It occassionally shows an error when opening a folder, but the contents are still available. All of my TS files show up as well. One thing I had to do to get Twonky to scan for the videos was to explicitly specify "V|" before the videos folder when setting up the content directories. Once I did that, all of the files showed up on the PhotoBridge.

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

dj7675
Topic Author

Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:06 am

That is good to hear. I will give it a try. Now if Mplay would open as the video player instead of the default so I could ff/rew :) .

Darin

dj7675
Topic Author

Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:46 am

TheEndless wrote:
dj7675 wrote:

Darin

I've got Twonky working fine with my PhotoBridge. It occassionally shows an error when opening a folder, but the contents are still available. All of my TS files show up as well. One thing I had to do to get Twonky to scan for the videos was to explicitly specify "V|" before the videos folder when setting up the content directories. Once I did that, all of the files showed up on the PhotoBridge.

TheEndless

Not to sound like an idiot, but sometimes you just can't help it unfortunately :oops:
Couple more questions....
1-Which page and what field on the twonky conguration page
2-When you say specify "V|" before the video folders, what does that mean?

Since I have both a terastation and an Infrant X6, twonky might be very useful.

Thanks again.

Darin

TheEndless

Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:55 pm

dj7675 wrote:
Not to sound like an idiot, but sometimes you just can't help it unfortunately :oops:
Couple more questions....
1-Which page and what field on the twonky conguration page
2-When you say specify "V|" before the video folders, what does that mean?

Since I have both a terastation and an Infrant X6, twonky might be very useful.

Thanks again.

Darin

1) On the Content page of the configuration interface, in the Content Locations dialog.
2) If you currently have "C:\My Videos", specifying it as "V|C:\My Videos" will tell Twonky to only scan it for video files. I think it's supposed to scan for all media types if you don't specify one, but I couldn't get it to catalog any of the videos without adding the "V|" part.

Also, on the Status page, under "Served Content Items" it should show you how many video files have been cataloged.

TheEndless
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

dj7675
Topic Author

Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:30 pm

I am running 3.1 trial. Music is working fine. In the twonky admin it shows the correct number of videos. It also shows the correct number of videos on the roku. However, when I select browse on the roku, then videos, then all videos, it gives an error on the roku : "An error occurred when scanning this device" and shows no video files. The default on the trial I downloaded has the option already in there to specify just video files.

Any other ideas on whey I don't see the .ts files with twonky?

EDIT: As a test I placed an mpg file and it does display and play the mpg file fine, just not any of the .ts files.

Darin

TheEndless

Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:15 pm

dj7675 wrote:
I am running 3.1 trial. Music is working fine. In the twonky admin it shows the correct number of videos. It also shows the correct number of videos on the roku. However, when I select browse on the roku, then videos, then all videos, it gives an error on the roku : "An error occurred when scanning this device" and shows no video files. The default on the trial I downloaded has the option already in there to specify just video files.

Any other ideas on whey I don't see the .ts files with twonky?

Darin

Have you tried going through Videos/Folders instead of Videos/All Videos? Seems the Roku chokes on the folders with a lot of items in them when using Twonky. I don't see this problem when using TVersity, Windows Media Connect, or Nero MediaHome. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like any of those will run on the Infrant. Is the built-in UPnP server not working for you, or did you just want to try a different server?

TheEndless

dj7675
Topic Author

Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:56 pm

The music portion of twonky is able to do quite a bit more than the built in infrant server. The other problem is the I can't seem to play .flac files file the infrant one and I can with the twonkyvision. For video the built in one works great for video though. I believe I have tried going into videos/folders but I will check again.

Thanks again.

Darin

WeeboTech

Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:23 am

TheEndless wrote:
I've got Twonky working fine with my PhotoBridge.

With what Application?
I do not remember seeing any options in the standard music player.

dj7675
Topic Author

Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:53 am

The twonkyserver share is listed with the other shares. When you select it it will show photos/videos at the top and the number of music right below it. When you select music it will give you quite a few options to sort your music such as genre, artist, album, song name etc... The other thing it will do is scan any playlists as well. If I remember correctly the infrant music looks like the built in player's options of just the artists/albums if I remember correctly. With Twonky's server it is a bit like using slimroku or sonica in that you have more options to see your music. It is of course not nearly as cool as either sonica or slimroku. For examply you can't select individual songs to que up and play. One thing I haven't tried yet is if either the Infrant or Twonky will use photo metadata from a program like adobe's photo album. That would be a great way to sort photos on the Roku.
If Mplay could browse UPnP shares it could be very nice having video sent via http instead of samba. I really need FF/REW and many of the other features of MPlay for video so I can't really use UPnP for Recorded HD yet. But sounds like UPnP for Mplay might be an option at some point.

Darin

TheEndless

Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:12 pm

dj7675 wrote:
But sounds like UPnP for Mplay might be an option at some point.

Very soon... ;)

TheEndless

dj7675
Topic Author

Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:16 pm

Cool. That is great news.

Darin

dj7675
Topic Author

Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:05 am

I sent Twonkyvision an email regarding the problem with .ts files and the problem is they didn't think that the Roku could play .ts files. So I referred them to a link on Roku's website that says it does support it. Hopefully they can fix that so it can handle video as well. What is nice about twonky is it runs on so many different systems.....--Darin

Email from Twonky:

Hi,

in general we support .ts files, but the Roku can not handle them.

We do not transcode video files.

Sorry
The TwonkyVision Team

TheEndless

Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:36 am

dj7675 wrote:
I sent Twonkyvision an email regarding the problem with .ts files and the problem is they didn't think that the Roku could play .ts files. So I referred them to a link on Roku's website that says it does support it. Hopefully they can fix that so it can handle video as well. What is nice about twonky is it runs on so many different systems.....--Darin

TS files show up on the Roku with my install of Twonky. I have a feeling that whatever is causing the error is what's preventing the files from showing up for you. I'll do some more testing with Twonky to see if I can find out what's actually causing the error. It might just be a timeout issue...

TheEndless

dj7675
Topic Author

Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:40 am

Thanks for looking at it. There might be a possibility to make it work better.....I received another reply from twonky and they need some information regarding the roku see their email below. As I don't have any idea what they are talking about, your input would be greatly appreciated and I can pass it along to them. If it would be more helpful to email them directly they have been very responsive at support@twonkyvision.com.

"We would need a packet dump (ethereal) when the Roku starts to stream the video from its own server.
We need to know the mime type it expects for .ts files as this seems to be different to other clients.

Thanks
Christian Gran"