Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

larryg99
Topic Author

When will 2.0 be final?

Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:20 am

It must be really fantastic, with all the time it's taking to finish.

mlknez

Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:39 am

I have written several emails to the owner. He said "the new firmware will be finalized soon" up until December of 2005. After that time, he has not answered any of my emails. The main developer is no longer with the company and they are not manufacturing the product anymore. I believe that all of these point to an orphaned product. The firmware was more like alpha code at the last release because it was not even "feature complete". I have been hoping for an update like everyone else for quite some time, but it does not appear to be in the cards. Several companies are about to introduce competitive products, but it is too bad that Roku did not follow through on what was a very good offering at the time.

dj7675

Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:35 pm

Add me to the list of emails sent. I have sent a total of 3 or 4 at least. I am so surprised that I don't even get a canned response. Even better yet if it is not going to be produced and more, or the beta develped any more, simply saying so would be the right thing to do. The Photobridge, thanks to the 3rd party apps, I think may still be the best media player available. But it may not be for long. If it is the end of the PB, I wonder what is the advantage of not simply saying so? The delay is baffling as well as no response to emails, and the way the photobridge forums have largely been ignored.

Darin

leenuxg33k

Possible alternative

Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:51 am

I know we shouldn't talk about other products on this forum but I don't think this will be around much longer and I'd like to keep in touch with everyone here. ;-)

Buffalo has a product called the Link Theatre, having looked at the current implementation I think I'm still happier with my HD1000. But, there is a sub group at Buffalo called RevoGear which seems to be around to promote OpenSource hacking on Buffalo products. The Kuro box is one such item. http://kurobox.com They are currently working on the Kuro 3 which is being implemented with lots of feedback from the users. In the last irc session (Yes they actually get on irc and talk to their users!) they hinted that they would be working on the next version of the link theatre and would like it to be an open source project. Its still a ways off.. The kuro 3 will have to be completed first which should come out in late September.

It may not materialize into anything, but I've seen a lot more effort from RevoGear in the last week then I've seen from Roku in the last year.

I'm just hoping to follow the current developers (Marcelo, The Endless, Andy, etc) to whatever product t they move to.. And if I can help find that platform then all the better. ;-)

WeeboTech

Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:07 am

dj7675 wrote:
I am so surprised that I don't even get a canned response. Even better yet if it is not going to be produced and more, or the beta develped any more, simply saying so would be the right thing to do.
Darin

They're probably very busy with focus on the money makers at the current time. I would assume they would tell us if it's a dead product because that is what they did with the M2000.

All posts have been in regards to continuing the product.

Although the silence does make you wonder.
That was the precursor to the demise of the audiotron.

dj7675 wrote:
The Photobridge, thanks to the 3rd party apps, I think may still be the best media player available.

I think the photobridge has enourmous possibilities. It just needs more attention and participation.

larryg99
Topic Author

Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:04 am

I just don't like the not knowing. How much development would it really take just to finish 2.0? I thought that it was almost complete. I wish that we could get a definite answer one way or the other.

Hutch

Re: Possible alternative

Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:23 pm

leenuxg33k wrote:
I know we shouldn't talk about other products on this forum but I don't think this will be around much longer and I'd like to keep in touch with everyone here. ;-)

I agree. As people's power supplies die with the HD1000 (as mine recently did) many will see no other choice but to move on and where else can current Roku owners talk about alternatives?

I'm torn between finding a replacement product and putting in a new power supply. The problem is, I really love the HD1000! I can't find another product out there that has all the features I'm looking for. I'm set up with a linksys SLUG so I don't want any product that requires software to be running on a PC. I just want it to feed off any network share - plus I want to be able to play movies (thanks Marcelo) as well as audio.

Does anyone have a site that compares the latest gadgets out there? I know of engadget and other sites, but I'm curious if a current HD1000 owner knows if there is anything out there truly up to par with the HD1000.

Hutch

pkeegan

Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:41 am

Hutch wrote:
Does anyone have a site that compares the latest gadgets out there? I know of engadget and other sites, but I'm curious if a current HD1000 owner knows if there is anything out there truly up to par with the HD1000.
Hutch

Try http://www.avsforum.com they have a section on digital media streamers.

Many of the streamers are unable to stream from NAS units at a high enough
rate for HD.
Some have poor user interfaces. Not very user friendly.
Some can play ripped DVDs with subtitles and menu options.
Take a look.

jor

Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:41 pm

it worth remembering that the Kuro project disappeared for several *months* and is still a faint shadow of the Slug efforts, despite much more potent hardware. Buffalo is not an innovator. And I'm still pissed about the huge run of 300g HGs with the faulty flash.

dgburns

Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:01 pm

Hutch wrote:
but I'm curious if a current HD1000 owner knows if there is anything out there truly up to par with the HD1000

Not that I've found, and I've been looking at every new box that comes along. The Photobridge has it's faults, is useless without firmware and 3rd-party upgrades, and can be flower frustrating (especially for non hacker types), but nothing out there yet that would make me scrap the PB for something else.
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)
Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV
Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's
PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext
M1000 (upstairs)
HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)
Visco 32" LCD
AR 2.1 audio system
PS/2

Hutch

Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:15 pm

dgburns wrote:
Not that I've found, and I've been looking at every new box that comes along. The Photobridge has it's faults, is useless without firmware and 3rd-party upgrades, and can be flower frustrating (especially for non hacker types), but nothing out there yet that would make me scrap the PB for something else.

Yep - I totally agree. I just purchased a new power supply to repair mine. I did some reserach over the last week or so and there really isn't anything out there that can compete in my opinion and if you factor in price.... forget about it! (I guess considering you can't buy them anymore price shouldn't factor in!)

Hutch

rnugent

Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:39 am

Can you post a link to a source for the power supply? I've gone through 2 now. I'd like to not junk this box if at all possible.

Ray

Hutch

Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:20 pm

rnugent wrote:
Can you post a link to a source for the power supply? I've gone through 2 now. I'd like to not junk this box if at all possible.

Ray

This is probably a thread you should read:
http://www.rokulabs.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2261

There are links to how-tos as well:
http://frequal.com/roku/PowerSupplyRepl ... Guide.html
http://rev-a-dead-roku-club.blogspot.com/

I haven't replaced mine yet - still waiting on the parts, but it's the cheapest and most importantly the most logical (imo) path right now. I think roku was bleeding edge 3 years ago - there are probably going to be solid immitators pretty soon - just nothing yet as far as I can tell. (Although it's subjective and hard to keep track of course.)

Hutch

XIONG1

Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:03 am

I have to say looks very good .