Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

ddruker
Topic Author

It's Official - HD1000 Dead and Discontinued

Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:12 pm

http://www.rokulabs.com/support/HD1000discontinued.php

No surprise to any of the long timers following this forum, but Roku has finally admitted the HD1000 is a dead product. Thank goodness for all the great third parties supporting the product given Roku's abysmal failure of their multiple promises to deliver the now dead 2.0 software.

"Roku is no longer carrying PhotoBridge HD1000 or HD1500 products. Stay tuned for new product announcements in the PhotoBridge line in early 2007. If you are a current PhotoBridge customer looking for support, you’re in the right place!"
- Dan

improv

Re: It's Official - HD1000 Dead and Discontinued

Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:39 pm

About time they admitted what we all know.

Given their behavour what makes them think I would even be interested in another of their products?

By the way I love the line ...
"If you are a current PhotoBridge customer looking for support, you’re in the right place!"

What support? Roku please show me the support you have provided! Show me where you have been active in these forums. Show me where you have been active in helping the third party developers extend the life of YOUR product. Show me why any of us should be interested in future releases of the Photobridge line.

rvacha

Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:18 am

I think this is a good move for Roku, for several reasons. Luckily for me, I purchased the Photobridge - not the Videobridge - so mine still does the job it was intented to do.

Dan Smart

Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:38 am

rvacha wrote:
I think this is a good move for Roku, for several reasons. Luckily for me, I purchased the Photobridge - not the Videobridge - so mine still does the job it was intented to do.

I'm very happy for you, I wish I had been as clever as you. Some of us based our purchasing decisions on the advertising copy, box description, and statements made Roku executives, rather than on the one word product name, and we feel cheated.

My real concern is not that they've cancelled the HD1000, I can think of several very positive developments that may arise as result, the problem is how they've treated their customer base. They repeatedly refered to the fact that the HD1K was going back on sale in "Summer 2006", as proof of their commitment to the product, a product for which the latest software revision is over a year late by their most pessimistic estimate. These assertions of commitment are all we've heard since November of last year, and they still haven't updated us as to when we can expect a final release of version two of the software.

Personally I think their behaviour is despicable, it's increasingly obvious that they hope that this will blow over, and that we will all leave in disgust, at which point they will erase the history and move on. In fact it's obvious that they had been hoping that we had already given up and moved on, I guess they took the recent silence in the forums as evidence that that had happened, and hence that it was OK to shaft us... They may well be right...

You did know that the only reason it wasn't called the "MediaBridge" was that that name was already taken, didn't you...

Dan "But carry on feeling smug" Smart
4xM2000 2xM1000.

soiaf

Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:07 am

Dan Smart wrote:
Personally I think their behaviour is despicable, it's increasingly obvious that they hope that this will blow over, and that we will all leave in disgust, at which point they will erase the history and move on. In fact it's obvious that they had been hoping that we had already given up and moved on, I guess they took the recent silence in the forums as evidence that that had happened, and hence that it was OK to shaft us... They may well be right...

Amazing. I've just looked in the Roku General forum, and right now (though it may change soon) they've deleted the 'how Roku treats their customers' poll but yet left the 'svetlana looking for love' postings :lol:
You better be careful Dan, you might frighten some SoundBridge users :)

Dan Smart

Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:29 am

soiaf wrote:
Dan Smart wrote:

Amazing. I've just looked in the Roku General forum, and right now (though it may change soon) they've deleted the 'how Roku treats their customers' poll but yet left the 'svetlana looking for love' postings :lol:

What did I do? What did I say? I'm not scary or mean, I'm a big cuddly teddy bear, they must have me mixed up with someone else... :twisted:

Still, "Photobridge users looking for love" has a certain ring to it, doesn't it... I wonder how long that will stay up... 8)

I'm actually surprised that they haven't deleted the photobridge forums, or at least deleted the embarassing history...

Dan "Perhaps they want me to air my grievances in a more public forum" Smart
4xM2000 2xM1000.

dgburns

Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:58 pm

soiaf wrote:

Roku has always had a reputation in other forums for censoring nagative posts in these forums. I guess that's still true (though sad).....

David "expecting this post to be censored out too" Burns

dgburns

Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:01 pm

Dan Smart wrote:
I'm actually surprised that they haven't deleted the photobridge forums, or at least deleted the embarassing history...

I'm surprised too. I half expect every time I come here to find the PhotoBrdige sections totally blank, with their censorship of course blamed on some mysterious disk crash or some other such nonsense.

Dan Smart wrote:
Dan "Perhaps they want me to air my grievances in a more public forum" Smart

They have a pretty bad rep at AVSForum. Hmm...what's Japanese for "seven", methinks the bad press is gonna need new company name for whatever new product they promise for 2007.
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)
Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV
Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's
PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext
M1000 (upstairs)
HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)
Visco 32" LCD
AR 2.1 audio system
PS/2

dgburns

Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:02 pm

Dan Smart wrote:
They repeatedly refered to the fact that the HD1K was going back on sale in "Summer 2006"

Um, I believe before "Summer 2006" it was "Early 2006", and before that it was "before Christmas", and before that.....

M1000 (upstairs)

Visco 32" LCD

AR 2.1 audio system

PS/2

Dan Smart

Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:17 am

soiaf wrote:

I suspect that I'm going to be banned soon, following up a RokuAnthony post in "SoundBridge General" is probably going too far. I tried very hard to be reasonable though, I even omitted my signature.

If I (and all my posts) disappear soon, it was nice knowing you guys (the customers and RokuMike at least)...

I note that they still haven't deleted all the spam.

Dan "Whiner" Smart
4xM2000 2xM1000.

dgburns

Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:52 am

Dan Smart wrote:
I note that they still haven't deleted all the spam.

I see RokuPatrick can respond to a post there about how to pronounce the name of the company, but the spam survives...

And of course, not a peep in reply to any of us "whiners". :cry:

M1000 (upstairs)

Visco 32" LCD

AR 2.1 audio system

PS/2

Topper

Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:53 pm

An apology from Roku would have been nice, instead we get left with nothing but a cold shoulder and beta firmware.

Pretty sad that no one from Roku even had the balls to mention something in this forum, just sit and watch the pot stew, eh?

Coming early 2007: More empty promises!

Btw, I own 4 Photobridges and am quite glad I steered everyone away who saw them and liked the idea. Thanks Roku for fully reinforcing my gut feeling.

Dan Smart

Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:09 pm

Is there anyone here who is uncomfortable with my ongoing efforts to get Roku to answer the simple question: "What is the status of version 2 of the PhotoBridge software"? I believe their tactic of simply ignoring us is quite possibly the rudest thing I have ever experienced a company do, and I am personally determined not to let them get away with it, but I also don't want to embarass or cause discomfort to the rest of you.

Personally I believe that there is nothing to lose, that if they were really planning to produce an update they would have announced that fact.

My next step is probably an open letter to RokuAnthony, although given his lack of response to the current postings, I'm not it's worth the effort. If they continue to ignore me, I intend to start writing letters to tech and AV publications detailing what's happpened, and see if that publicity wont produce a response.

I just don't understand why they think that this is good policy...

Dan "Baffled Whiner" Smart
4xM2000 2xM1000.

Steve Martin

Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:13 pm

I'm still waiting for the iPhoto shared library support that was promised a couple of years ago. :cry:
Steve Martin

dgburns

Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:11 am

Dan Smart wrote:
Is there anyone here who is uncomfortable with my ongoing efforts to get Roku to answer the simple question: "What is the status of version 2 of the PhotoBridge software"?

No complaint here.

I sent a PM (I was nice, I think) to RokuAnthony several days ago. No response. I don't think a "open letter" would do any good, since they apparently don't read the PB forums at all, and ignore all posts about the PB in any of the other forums. :(

David "waiting to be kick-banned" Burns