Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

hugo husti
Topic Author

PAL video modes and ecp

Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:58 pm

I am using version 2.0.36 and I like to switch to the new PAL video modes with ecp but I do not get it to work. Tried several ways like
# ecp system videomode PAL Composite 576i 50Hz
but it's not working. The problem is, that I have no idea how the syntax should look like for the PAL modes.
Has anybody ever successfully done this?

Or is there another way to programmatically switch to PAL modes?

I just wonder why there is no support for PAL 576i 50Hz on the component output? Will this be included in a future release?

hugo

dgburns

Re: PAL video modes and ecp

Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:00 pm

hugo husti wrote:
Will this be included in a future release?

Apparently you missed all the threads talking about the death of the Photobridge...

Hopefully someone PAL savvy can explain how (IF) you can do what you're trying to do.
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)
Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV
Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's
PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext
M1000 (upstairs)
HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)
Visco 32" LCD
AR 2.1 audio system
PS/2

hugo husti
Topic Author

Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:15 pm

Well, I did not miss this information, but I can not believe that its true :cry: (see my new signature)

Unfortunately, I discovered another problem with PAL. It is not possible for me to connect both component and s-video together, because than there will be a shadow in the higher resolutions (like 720p) on component signal (and also VGA) that makes the picture unviewable.
And on the other side, I can not use the composite connection, because it is shared with the component Y connector and that is not so on my projector. Of course I might reconnect each time I like to view PAL content, but that’s not really a good solution. :(
On the other hand my projector is not able to use the progressive PAL modes like 576p or 720p. Therefore the simple 576i resolution on component would be the best/only solution for me. But this one is missing. :cry:

Even if the HD1000 is already dead, might there be a small chance that someone at Roku adds this mode as a "bugfix" in the latest beta?

Hugo
History of all MPEG products that I bought over the years
(except of DVD players)
REALmagic H+ Card
3DFusion DVD Card
REALmagic X-Card
ROKU HD 1000...
And they all have the same bad feature:
they are not supported any more!

dgburns

Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:48 pm

You're only supposed to connect to ONE of the outputs. Not all of them.
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)

Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV

Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's

PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext

M1000 (upstairs)

HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)

Visco 32" LCD

AR 2.1 audio system

PS/2

hugo husti
Topic Author

Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:29 pm

Now I found a solution. Its not really perfect, but it's working. So here is what I've done:
I just split the Y connector into two with a simple phone splitter plug and then connected one cable to the Y connector of the component input and the other one to the composite connector input. Luckily this does not degrade the component signal (which I use now for NTSC based content), at least I did not see much differences. On the other hand the composite signal (for the PAL based content) is not really pleasant but as I said, it's woking and I can use it this way.

I also have a solution for the problem how to switch to PAL modes programmatically - thanks to TheEndless!
See the following thread:

http://www.permanence.com/roku/forums/Default.aspx?g=posts&m=141

Hugo