Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

mega1026
Topic Author

New Netflix UI make Roku king of Netflix?

Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:54 pm

I got a TiVo on my main tv about a month ago and I unhooked my beloved Roku since TiVo did most of the same functions. In time I learned how lacking the Netflix and Amazon apps on TiVo were. Yesterday I put a new tv in my bedroom and hooked up my beloved Roku again. I got the new UI and I love love love it. The old UI was leaps and bounds past TiVo, except TiVo had the search and could do 1080i. My bedroom tv is 720p, and my Roku looks great on it. The new netflix is amazing. I have little experience with Xbox, and none with Wii or PS3 and the countless tvs and Blu Ray players that have Netflix.

But regardless, I would have to assume this new UI is hands down the best available for Netflix right?

cwniles

Re: New Netflix UI make Roku king of Netflix?

Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:03 pm

eh, I am sure a case could be made for some of the other options....especially the more expensive ones.

For 99 bucks tho? yeah, pretty hard to beat the Roku. I am completely satisfied with mine.
Roku 2 XS>HDMI>Denon AVR-361>HDMI>Samsung 2333HD
Scientific Atlanta Cable Modem DPC2100R2 >Dynex DX-E402 Router (no wifi)
USB>Seagate Barracuda 7200 SATA 1TB in dock.
Roku S/N 13A16H000141

jcmolet

Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:54 pm

I have used Netflix on my Roku DVPs, a PS3, a Wii and Samsung BD players and for my money, the new Netflix UI on Roku is the best when you combine functionality/features and appearance.

mega1026
Topic Author

Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:18 pm

not counting the price, what more could you ask for in a Netflix app? Just Netflix here, not the fact that TiVo DVR's and Xbox plays games, but just Netflix function alone, what more could there be? a qwerty remote maybe..

aegl

Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:33 pm

cwniles wrote:
eh, I am sure a case could be made for some of the other options....especially the more expensive ones.

For 99 bucks tho? yeah, pretty hard to beat the Roku. I am completely satisfied with mine.

$140 at Costco will buy you a Samsung Blu ray player that can also do Netflix, Pandora and Youtube.

Roku's $99 price point is no longer such a clear winner.

KennyJ

Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:39 pm

aegl wrote:
cwniles wrote:

$140 at Costco will buy you a Samsung Blu ray player that can also do Netflix, Pandora and Youtube.

Roku's $99 price point is no longer such a clear winner.

$40 cheaper is still competitive -- especially if you already own a BD player. I imagine that the Samsung doesn't have Wi-fi either.... I have a Insignia BD Player with wi-fi that plays Netflix and Pandora. My Roku is far superior to it.

-LD

Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:19 pm

KennyJ wrote:
I have a Insignia BD Player with wi-fi that plays Netflix and Pandora. My Roku is far superior to it.

I have the same player (wifi model). I paid $129 on sale. I would definitely agree the new Netflix UI is far superior to the Insignia UI. But the prior Roku Netflix UI was certainly much worse. For strictly Netflix, it's a toss-up really. But Roku is getting some good additional channels lately, which does give them an advantage.

Narsh

Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:25 am

It's getting there. This update is definitely a huge improvement.

In future, I like to see related/similar videos for the current title, as well as cast and crew added to the main search (and hyperlinked credits in the description). I don't know if any other Netflix box has those functions yet.

jcmolet

Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:54 am

Narsh wrote:
It's getting there. This update is definitely a huge improvement.

In future, I like to see related/similar videos for the current title, as well as cast and crew added to the main search (and hyperlinked credits in the description). I don't know if any other Netflix box has those functions yet.

Hyperlinked to where? The Roku DVP doesn't have a browser...and if we're lucky it never will.