Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

 
Tabascoman
Topic Author
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:50 pm

Roksbox and Synology - I'm going nuts

Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:36 am

I'm trying to get my new Roku HD-XR connected to my Synology DS209. No luck with any media (photos,video or Music.)
When I click an icon for Music, Pictrues or Video I see the Roksbox splash with box at the bottom of the screen. Then I'm sent back to the selection screen landing on the Picture Icon every time.

No errors popping up
Not using XML file or Root folder
Media Location and folder names are correct including case.
I can see my files on the server from computer using browser at http://192.168.2.124/photos
Root folders and XML names removed from Media Settings
Tried adding port extension (:8080) Yes, is on port 80
Searched forum and cannot find anything to help. (I'm not saying it isn't there)
 
WilDD
Posts: 864
Joined: Fri May 29, 2009 6:32 pm

Re: Roksbox and Synology - I'm going nuts

Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:45 am

Tabascoman wrote:
I'm trying to get my new Roku HD-XR connected to my Synology DS209. No luck with any media (photos,video or Music.)
When I click an icon for Music, Pictrues or Video I see the Roksbox splash with box at the bottom of the screen. Then I'm sent back to the selection screen landing on the Picture Icon every time.

No errors popping up
Not using XML file or Root folder
Media Location and folder names are correct including case.
I can see my files on the server from computer using browser at http://192.168.2.124/photos
Root folders and XML names removed from Media Settings
Tried adding port extension (:8080) Yes, is on port 80
Searched forum and cannot find anything to help. (I'm not saying it isn't there)


Since you aren't getting any error messages, it looks like it is finding your server. It looks like you aren't using a media root folder, so the Media Root Folder should be blank. The Photo Folder Path should be photos.

Also, with photos, make sure your photos are in at least one folder below your photos folder (ex. photos\vacation 2010). Roksbox uses the second level folder as a top level category.
 
Tabascoman
Topic Author
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:50 pm

Re: Roksbox and Synology - I'm going nuts

Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:21 am

Thank You WildD- Second level did it.

At least I know for sure it's seeing the server now.

Now to see if there is a way for me to use the media server UPnP files so I do not have to duplicate my movies files in the webserver. Maybe the Alias will work.

This Roku box is cool and the Roksbox seems like a great tool.

Thanks Again!!
 
thehomelessguy
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:59 pm
Location: Pittsburgh
Contact:

Re: Roksbox and Synology - I'm going nuts

Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:11 pm

Two things with the synology diskstation.

1st the apache web server is set up by default with directory listing disabled. This needs to be changed so that Roksbox can parse the directory (unless you are using the .xml method).

Simply create a .htaccess file (unix line endings) in your web directory with the following text:

Options +Indexes



That's all the file needs (the one line). Now a directory listing will be made for the folder /web when there is no index.html file.


Next log in as root into your synology server and create symbolic links for the various folders for example (my sole raid volume is labeled volume1). Capitalization does matter. The following should work with the default label names in Roksbox. You also need to delete the .xml files (leave those spots blank) as well as the subdirectory listing.

cd /volume1/web/
ln -s /volume1/web/video/ Videos
ln -s /volume1/web/photo/ Photos
ln -s /volume1/web/music/ Music

This worked great for me. This seems to be a dead thread but let me know if it helped.
 
greubel
Posts: 692
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:21 pm

Re: Roksbox and Synology - I'm going nuts

Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:39 pm

You should try Chaneru for a simple setup for streaming. It does movies, playlists, slideshows and your music. Compatible with iTunes and iPhoto. Setup involves download, unzip and 1 click to start. Includes it's own web server. Next to ZERO setup ! Plus the guy will custom fit it for your needs !

http://www.chaneru.com
 
philsoft
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 4320
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 6:26 pm
Location: Midland, Michigan
Contact:

Re: Roksbox and Synology - I'm going nuts

Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:22 pm

Please stop it.
 
sheppoor
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:17 am

Re: Roksbox and Synology - I'm going nuts

Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:27 am

I just got my Synology DS209 up and running with symbolic links so my UPnP shares are intact. Thanks, this thread was very helpful. I've got a few items of advice / corrections for anyone else who stumbles across this thread.

Put the .htaccess file in the /web/Media/ directory instead of the /web/ directory. Other applications you may put on your NAS in the /web/ directory probably shouldn't have directory browsing turned on.

At least some versions of the Synology software have following symbolic links turned off by default (probably a good best practice from a security standpoint). After much exploring on the Synology forums I found the answer, but turning it back on is a pain. You might not need to do this step but I did. Connect via ssh or telnet as as root, browse to /usr/syno/etc/ and edit the smb.conf file. There you need to add three lines in the General section.
follow symlinks = yes
wide symlinks = yes
unix extensions = no
And then reboot your NAS.

I have a correction for the paths for creating the symbolic links. First, you want the links in the /web/Media/ as opposed to the /web/ directory itself (assuming you want to follow the Roksbox defaults). Second, the source of the links doesn't include /web/ in the path. The correct commands are:
cd /volume1/web/Media
ln -s /volume1/video/ Videos
ln -s /volume1/photo/ Photos
ln -s /volume1/music/ Music
Roku HD via Ethernet, 10/100 SMC EZ Switch, Xincom Twin WAN Router, 12MB downstream via Comcast (primary). Chanels: Netflix, TWiT, Revision3, Roksbox
 
somefoolonline
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:22 am

Re: Roksbox and Synology - I'm going nuts

Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:08 pm

Thanks to everyone posting on this thread...I almost went mad trying to get my DS207 to work, until I found this thread. Everyone's input on this finally gave me the breakthrough I needed to get up and running. The advice on here was invaluable to any struggling Synology NAS users, so thank you for taking the time to post!

In the end, it was well worth the gnashing of teeth to get Roksbox working with Synology. So much so I finally felt comfortable enough to pay for RoksBox today.

One question for other Synology users, have you found a way to hide the @eaDir folders? I get these folders that are hidden when connecting via PC but RoksBox displays them. They seem to duplicate content so guessing they are some kind of index file used by Synology.

Perhaps an ignore folders with "??" option would be a good option to submit for a future release but wanted to see if anyone else had any solutions to this already.
 
WilDD
Posts: 864
Joined: Fri May 29, 2009 6:32 pm

Re: Roksbox and Synology - I'm going nuts

Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:50 pm

somefoolonline wrote:
Thanks to everyone posting on this thread...I almost went mad trying to get my DS207 to work, until I found this thread. Everyone's input on this finally gave me the breakthrough I needed to get up and running. The advice on here was invaluable to any struggling Synology NAS users, so thank you for taking the time to post!

In the end, it was well worth the gnashing of teeth to get Roksbox working with Synology. So much so I finally felt comfortable enough to pay for RoksBox today.

One question for other Synology users, have you found a way to hide the @eaDir folders? I get these folders that are hidden when connecting via PC but RoksBox displays them. They seem to duplicate content so guessing they are some kind of index file used by Synology.

Perhaps an ignore folders with "??" option would be a good option to submit for a future release but wanted to see if anyone else had any solutions to this already.


There is currently no way to hide these when using the directory structure option. Roksbox shows pretty much everything it sees. What do the names of these folders have in common? I can have Roksbox ignore these as long as they aren't likely to be something that someone would name a folder.
 
somefoolonline
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:22 am

Re: Roksbox and Synology - I'm going nuts

Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:06 pm

There is currently no way to hide these when using the directory structure option. Roksbox shows pretty much everything it sees. What do the names of these folders have in common? I can have Roksbox ignore these as long as they aren't likely to be something that someone would name a folder.


Thanks for the quick reply and sorry for the delayed response, I have been out of the country.

The folders that I am asking to ignore are specific to Synology as an NAS and I cannot imagine that blocking these specifically would affect any other user but that was why I thought it might be safest if perhaps in setup there were a user input that could allow the user to add the folders they wanted ignored, but a hardcoded option would work for me as well.

The two folders would be:

#recycle
@eaDir (this linkhttp://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/16413-ignore-eadir-folders-in-media-scanner/ is from another synology user on @eaDir folders and explains what he found).

I would not expect that these being ignored specifically would cause non synology users any issues and would make the browsing for synology users much cleaner.

Thanks again for considering the idea and truly appreciate the work you have put into Roksbox already! Also, like the new font on the logo.
 
somefoolonline
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:22 am

Re: Roksbox and Synology - I'm going nuts

Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:19 pm

What do the names of these folders have in common?


Sorry, just to clarify. These @eaDir folders exist in every folder created on a synology NAS that has content in it, so they show up in every level with content when using Roksbox. So if it were possible to just ignore "@eaDir" specifically this would eliminate them all from showing.

The "#recycle" will only appear in folders that have had items deleted so tend to appear more sporadically. They can be removed but will reappear next time something it deleted from the folder. Again an ignore for "#recycle" would eliminate these from showing and should not affect other users.

Hope that helps clarify things a bit better.
 
WilDD
Posts: 864
Joined: Fri May 29, 2009 6:32 pm

Re: Roksbox and Synology - I'm going nuts

Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:56 pm

somefoolonline wrote:
What do the names of these folders have in common?


Sorry, just to clarify. These @eaDir folders exist in every folder created on a synology NAS that has content in it, so they show up in every level with content when using Roksbox. So if it were possible to just ignore "@eaDir" specifically this would eliminate them all from showing.

The "#recycle" will only appear in folders that have had items deleted so tend to appear more sporadically. They can be removed but will reappear next time something it deleted from the folder. Again an ignore for "#recycle" would eliminate these from showing and should not affect other users.

Hope that helps clarify things a bit better.


See if version 1.17.2 fixes it (enter and exit the channel store if you don't already have it).
 
somefoolonline
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:22 am

Re: Roksbox and Synology - I'm going nuts

Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:25 pm

See if version 1.17.2 fixes it (enter and exit the channel store if you don't already have it).


Worked perfectly...thanks so much looks much better now! Really appreciate the quick response!
 
somefoolonline
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:22 am

Re: Roksbox and Synology - I'm going nuts

Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:51 am

See if version 1.17.2 fixes it


Well it did fix it but seems that 1.17.3 brought the @eaDir back. Perhaps you had to remove the changes made in 1.17.2, to ignore the @eaDir and #recycle folders, because it ended up adversely affecting other users but thought I would let you know that they are back just in case it was inadvertant.
 
WilDD
Posts: 864
Joined: Fri May 29, 2009 6:32 pm

Re: Roksbox and Synology - I'm going nuts

Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:45 am

somefoolonline wrote:
See if version 1.17.2 fixes it


Well it did fix it but seems that 1.17.3 brought the @eaDir back. Perhaps you had to remove the changes made in 1.17.2, to ignore the @eaDir and #recycle folders, because it ended up adversely affecting other users but thought I would let you know that they are back just in case it was inadvertant.


I think the problem is that I only made the fix for videos, and not music or photos. Try it with 1.17.4. Hopefully it all works now.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: m_a_s and 35 guests