Hi - I'm helping my mom set up her new Roku. I have one and understand how to set a Roku up.
On my mom's setup, everything is fine, except that the VOLUME is for some reason unresponsive on her receiver. Sound from the Roku plays at a fixed level - VERY LOUD - regardless of whether the receiver's volume is low, high, or even muted.
Some vital info:
1. She has an Insignia receiver, model # IS-HC040917. Has worked perfectly until now.
2. Brand new Roku HD. The network, netflix, pandora etc have all been connected and authenticated perfectly. Videos stream at HD quality.
3. I connected the Roku via analog L/R to the receiver's front "Video" jacks. Volume is not adjustable. Then I tried the "CD" analog jacks in the rear. Same problem.
4. An iPod plugged in to the front "Video" jacks works perfectly.
5. Roku is set to "Stereo" audio.
6. We've tried two different audio cables. The first was the one that came with the Roku (didn't plug in the yellow video part). Second cable was just L/R audio. Same problem with both.
Can anyone help? This completely defies my understanding. It's like the Roku audio signal is overriding all volume settings on the receiver.
She is going to get an optial cable next week, so we will try that when it arrives. But why would the Roku/receiver behave this way?