Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

 
dpkilleen
Topic Author
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:45 am

No Blockbuster?

Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:52 am

I'm a very new user and obviously didn't do enough homework before buying :( I'm very disappointed to find that Roku apparently doesn't have a Blockbuster channel. Is that coming?

Thanks

dpkilleen
 
User avatar
jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 4273
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:51 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Contact:

Re: No Blockbuster?

Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:01 am

When the Roku box was first released, it was called "The Netflix Player".. Roku and Netflix still have a very close relationship, and I doubt they are going to let Blockbuster in on the game.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
 
jambandit7
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:09 am
Location: North Carolina

Re: No Blockbuster?

Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:08 am

jeffrok wrote:
When the Roku box was first released, it was called "The Netflix Player".. Roku and Netflix still have a very close relationship, and I doubt they are going to let Blockbuster in on the game.



I agree...
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers
Roku2 XD- 3050X/HDMI/Composite Audio
Roku XD-Composite A/V
Roku XD-HDMI
Roku2 4210RW-HDMI
 
User avatar
KennyJ
Posts: 4051
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:18 am
Location: Lawndale, CA

Re: No Blockbuster?

Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:20 am

jeffrok wrote:
When the Roku box was first released, it was called "The Netflix Player".. Roku and Netflix still have a very close relationship, and I doubt they are going to let Blockbuster in on the game.


It's certainly possible, though. Although Blockbuster's offerings aren't much different (if at all) from Amazon.com.

I have Blockbuster on my BD Player, but only used it to spend the $5 they gave me for signing up. I almost always use Amazon via Roku.
 
CalvinMcGowan
Posts: 346
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:44 am

Re: No Blockbuster?

Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:23 am

jeffrok wrote:
When the Roku box was first released, it was called "The Netflix Player".. Roku and Netflix still have a very close relationship, and I doubt they are going to let Blockbuster in on the game.

Why not? Roku added Amazon VOD to their lineup of content providers, as well as several others like Hulu+, BigStar, Drive-In Classics, DreamTV, etc., and I wouldn't mind seeing Blockbuster VOD added too. Increased choices is a good thing, eh?
 
RokuPatrick

Re: No Blockbuster?

Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:09 am

dpkilleen wrote:
I'm a very new user and obviously didn't do enough homework before buying :( I'm very disappointed to find that Roku apparently doesn't have a Blockbuster channel. Is that coming?

Thanks

dpkilleen


While we don't offer Blockbuster, we do offer Amazon Video On Demand. After a brief survey of Blockbuster's VOD offerings, Amazon:
- Has a much larger selection
- Has High-definition video
- Has 5.1 audio

Is there a feature or specific content that Blockbuster has that you're interested in? If you haven't already, take a look at the Amazon offering.
 
Munst
Posts: 103
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:33 am

Re: No Blockbuster?

Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:44 am

Blockbuster is already dead...they just don't know it yet.
 
Elvis Impersonator
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:19 pm

Re: No Blockbuster?

Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:04 am

Munst wrote:
Blockbuster is already dead...they just don't know it yet.


actually . . . I think they know . . .
http://arstechnica.com/media/news/2010/09/blockbuster-officially-going-bankrupt-for-really-real-this-time.ars
 
mkiker2089
Posts: 2803
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:03 pm

Re: No Blockbuster?

Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:34 am

Elvis Impersonator wrote:
Munst wrote:
Blockbuster is already dead...they just don't know it yet.


actually . . . I think they know . . .
http://arstechnica.com/media/news/2010/09/blockbuster-officially-going-bankrupt-for-really-real-this-time.ars


The still don't "know". They think they can come out of bankruptcy as the new Netflix and put everyone else back a peg. They even sold their name to a cash register company to put RedBox out of business.

If Blockbuster were a single human they would have been diagnosed as schizophrenic years ago and locked away where they can't hurt anyone anymore.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
 
dpkilleen
Topic Author
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:45 am

Re: No Blockbuster?

Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:52 am

RokuPatrick wrote:
dpkilleen wrote:
I'm a very new user and obviously didn't do enough homework before buying :( I'm very disappointed to find that Roku apparently doesn't have a Blockbuster channel. Is that coming?

Thanks

dpkilleen


While we don't offer Blockbuster, we do offer Amazon Video On Demand. After a brief survey of Blockbuster's VOD offerings, Amazon:
- Has a much larger selection
- Has High-definition video
- Has 5.1 audio

Is there a feature or specific content that Blockbuster has that you're interested in? If you haven't already, take a look at the Amazon offering.



No, nothing specific. My concern was mostly with the Blockbuster commercials that claim to release streaming DVD's the same day that the physical DVD's come out. Are you saying that Amazon VOD does the same thing? If so, then I'd much happier.

Thanks
 
hn333
Posts: 497
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:11 pm

Re: No Blockbuster?

Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:25 am

dpkilleen wrote:
I'm a very new user and obviously didn't do enough homework before buying :( I'm very disappointed to find that Roku apparently doesn't have a Blockbuster channel. Is that coming?

Thanks

dpkilleen


Blockbuster is dead :D
 
mkiker2089
Posts: 2803
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:03 pm

Re: No Blockbuster?

Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:04 pm

dpkilleen wrote:
No, nothing specific. My concern was mostly with the Blockbuster commercials that claim to release streaming DVD's the same day that the physical DVD's come out. Are you saying that Amazon VOD does the same thing? If so, then I'd much happier.

Thanks


Yes, Amazon gets the movies first. blockbuster is a pay per title system the same as Amazon, only more expensive and not quite as good.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
 
RokuPatrick

Re: No Blockbuster?

Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:06 pm

mkiker2089 wrote:
dpkilleen wrote:
No, nothing specific. My concern was mostly with the Blockbuster commercials that claim to release streaming DVD's the same day that the physical DVD's come out. Are you saying that Amazon VOD does the same thing? If so, then I'd much happier.

Thanks


Yes, Amazon gets the movies first. blockbuster is a pay per title system the same as Amazon, only more expensive and not quite as good.



Do note that standard for the industry, many movies are not available to rent and stream on the same day as DVD sales. In many cases, you can buy a digital copy when the DVD comes out and rent 30-60 days later. That's just how it is. Some studios do day and date rentals, however.
 
User avatar
jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 4273
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:51 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Contact:

Re: No Blockbuster?

Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:12 pm

CalvinMcGowan wrote:
jeffrok wrote:
When the Roku box was first released, it was called "The Netflix Player".. Roku and Netflix still have a very close relationship, and I doubt they are going to let Blockbuster in on the game.

Why not? Roku added Amazon VOD to their lineup of content providers, as well as several others like Hulu+, BigStar, Drive-In Classics, DreamTV, etc., and I wouldn't mind seeing Blockbuster VOD added too. Increased choices is a good thing, eh?


My GUESS is that when Netflix and Roku partnered up, they agreed to not let their fierce (at the time) competitor, Blockbuster to be a Roku developer. As unfair as that might sound to Blockbuster, these partnerships happen all the time.. I can't get the NFL Sunday Ticket on my cable box, for the same reasons.. Agreements..
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
 
mkiker2089
Posts: 2803
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:03 pm

Re: No Blockbuster?

Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:36 pm

jeffrok wrote:
CalvinMcGowan wrote:
jeffrok wrote:
When the Roku box was first released, it was called "The Netflix Player".. Roku and Netflix still have a very close relationship, and I doubt they are going to let Blockbuster in on the game.

Why not? Roku added Amazon VOD to their lineup of content providers, as well as several others like Hulu+, BigStar, Drive-In Classics, DreamTV, etc., and I wouldn't mind seeing Blockbuster VOD added too. Increased choices is a good thing, eh?


My GUESS is that when Netflix and Roku partnered up, they agreed to not let their fierce (at the time) competitor, Blockbuster to be a Roku developer. As unfair as that might sound to Blockbuster, these partnerships happen all the time.. I can't get the NFL Sunday Ticket on my cable box, for the same reasons.. Agreements..


I doubt that's the reason. Blockbuster just hasn't made a channel. Roku has a public SDK so all they have to do is make one and distribute it. If someone really wants it they should contact BB and see if a compatible stream is sent. From there it's either up to that user to finance a channel build or try and convince BB to build one.

When Netflix and Roku split ways BB still didn't have streaming so no one knew what was coming.

One question, is Blockbuster actually behind the streaming or is it another deal like the Kiosks?
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BillC225, EnTerr and 2 guests