Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

 
stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 3432
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:22 pm
Location: Ice Planet Hoth
Contact:

Re: Setup to Record?

Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:47 am

ApK wrote:
kc8pql wrote:
Why would you want to record something when you can stream it any time you want anyway?


Streaming doesn't work when there are net issues, streaming doesn't work in the car (or various other locations where you might want to watch), some streaming content gets taken away from you before you get to it.
Not saying that all these things are all applicable to, say, the terms of use of Netflix or Hulu+ or AVOD, but as a general answer to the question, that's why I might want to record streaming content. Any or all of those reasons are why locally stored content will be around for some time yet in spite of "on demand" streaming growth.


Of course all those reasons are very valid for why someone would want to, but a good analogy for why someone can't would be like computers at the public library. The library offers computers for the public to use and go on the internet, but you can't take them home in case you want to go on the net when the Library is closed.
 
ApK
Posts: 286
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:00 am

Re: Setup to Record?

Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:09 am

stratcat96 wrote:

Of course all those reasons are very valid for why someone would want to, but a good analogy for why someone can't would be like computers at the public library. The library offers computers for the public to use and go on the internet, but you can't take them home in case you want to go on the net when the Library is closed.


The legalities or ethics of "can't" depend on the specific content you're streaming. As I said, it was a general answer to the question. Even on Roku, there are channels that provide content that we would be free to copy as we see fit.

And some libraries even leave their wifi up when they're closed...we used to have gangs of teenagers hanging out all night in front of the 7-Eleven with cigarettes and beer, now we have them in front of the library with netbooks and iPods. :)
 
stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 3432
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:22 pm
Location: Ice Planet Hoth
Contact:

Re: Setup to Record?

Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:14 am

ApK wrote:
stratcat96 wrote:

Of course all those reasons are very valid for why someone would want to, but a good analogy for why someone can't would be like computers at the public library. The library offers computers for the public to use and go on the internet, but you can't take them home in case you want to go on the net when the Library is closed.


The legalities or ethics of "can't" depend on the specific content you're streaming. As I said, it was a general answer to the question. Even on Roku, there are channels that provide content that we would be free to copy as we see fit.

And some libraries even leave their wifi up when they're closed...we used to have gangs of teenagers hanging out all night in front of the 7-Eleven with cigarettes and beer, now we have them in front of the library with netbooks and iPods. :)


flower cyber punks lol
 
davezatz
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:01 am
Contact:

Re: Setup to Record?

Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:15 am

kc8pql wrote:
No, you can't legally record streaming content from the box. It's copy protected. Roku's forum isn't the appropriate place to discuss illegal methods.


That's a pretty broad generalization and there are a variety of digital media scenarios that haven't yet been legally tested.

As far as the original question, to stream remotely I'd try something like a Slingbox. To record for later playback, you could indeed use a VCR with Roku or any sort of DVD-burning equivalent. You probably even have an older TiVo record from the outputs. But for me, it seems like too much hassle.

Incidentally, I've uploaded a number of videos to YouTube... which you can view through Roku's non-sanctioned YouTube app. Yet no advertising revenue can be generated for me via that method. So who's swiping whose content at that point? ;)
 
robertm
Posts: 2665
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:06 pm

Re: Setup to Record?

Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:31 am

ApK wrote:
stratcat96 wrote:

Of course all those reasons are very valid for why someone would want to, but a good analogy for why someone can't would be like computers at the public library. The library offers computers for the public to use and go on the internet, but you can't take them home in case you want to go on the net when the Library is closed.


The legalities or ethics of "can't" depend on the specific content you're streaming. As I said, it was a general answer to the question. Even on Roku, there are channels that provide content that we would be free to copy as we see fit.

And some libraries even leave their wifi up when they're closed...we used to have gangs of teenagers hanging out all night in front of the 7-Eleven with cigarettes and beer, now we have them in front of the library with netbooks and iPods. :)



But if you are talking about public domain content why wouldn't you just find a copy and download it? Streaming would be one of the last ways I would want to use to obtain content.
 
ApK
Posts: 286
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:00 am

Re: Setup to Record?

Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:42 am

robertm wrote:
But if you are talking about public domain content why wouldn't you just find a copy and download it? Streaming would be one of the last ways I would want to use to obtain content.


I'm not talking about any specific content, but as one of several possible answers: The same reason you might watch it over a Roku in the first place instead of just plugging your PC into your TV, ie, purpose built entertainment systems are sometimes more convenient. You see something you like for the car or whatever while browsing your Roku on TV, it'd be nicer to press "record" on the remote and walk away rather than jumping through whatever PC hoops you might otherwise have to go through.
 
robertm
Posts: 2665
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:06 pm

Re: Setup to Record?

Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:54 am

ApK wrote:
robertm wrote:
But if you are talking about public domain content why wouldn't you just find a copy and download it? Streaming would be one of the last ways I would want to use to obtain content.


I'm not talking about any specific content, but as one of several possible answers: The same reason you might watch it over a Roku in the first place instead of just plugging your PC into your TV, ie, purpose built entertainment systems are sometimes more convenient. You see something you like for the car or whatever while browsing your Roku on TV, it'd be nicer to press "record" on the remote and walk away rather than jumping through whatever PC hoops you might otherwise have to go through.


You can burn a video file to a DVD pretty easy. I'd rather do that than have all the equipment I might need to burn it directly from a stream at who knows what quality since I have walked away.
 
Desert Dingo
Posts: 239
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:47 am

Re: Setup to Record?

Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:04 am

Village Idiot wrote:
Desert Dingo wrote:
ZZzzz...boring. Time to put a 'lock' on this forum issue.
By the way, on issue of reselling cars...they are not a copyright issue.


If you're bored please try another thread. There's plenty of them.
No one is violating any rules to warrant a lock up.
Some of us are enjoying this thread. And everyone is being very respectful of each other.


You are perfectly correct...and that is what I was doing. This person had 5-6 comments within a short time span. All were negative and placed to incite. They were reported as such by a number of people and that 'poster' has been banned.
 
jp1
Posts: 149
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:58 am

Re: Setup to Record?

Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:58 pm

If you are only interested in logistics and not concerned with legality or morality then there are always ways to accomplish what you want. The problem is that these companies aren't ever going to make it convenient for you to do so. You can argue that fact until you are blue in the face but it won't change a thing.

I agree with you about content that you actually own by the way but nothing except for the Amazon Video on Demand purchases falls under that category on the Roku, and as already mentioned by someone else you do have options to easily download additional "copies" of that content.

You are free to make up your own mind about what laws you want to follow and what ones you would like to break as long as you are willing to assume the risk of punishment when/if you are caught. You can have a digital copy of nearly anything that is offered on the roku with very little effort and just a little bit of knowledge. The choice is yours to make.

Just don't expect them to come up with solutions that make it easier for you. It doesn't matter if you even have some ethical or moral ground to stand on the simple fact is that no company will jump on board with developing some kind of solution that will decrease their profits in some way. Especially if the current laws and solutions protect them in some way from having to do so.
 
kumasuki
Posts: 1561
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:45 pm
Location: San Diego

Re: Setup to Record?

Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:20 pm

jp1 wrote:
I agree with you about content that you actually own by the way but nothing except for the Amazon Video on Demand purchases falls under that category on the Roku...

Nothing except Amazon? What about Big Star, EzTakes, Zinemaya, or FlixFling (to name a few) all of which offer titles for purchase.
--------------------------------------
Roku XDS; DSM-520; HDX1000 w/1TB drive; Neuros; Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR; HDHomeRun; Vudu; VuNow HD; Boxee Box
 
Village Idiot
Posts: 1068
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: Setup to Record?

Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:39 pm

Desert Dingo wrote:
Village Idiot wrote:
Desert Dingo wrote:
ZZzzz...boring. Time to put a 'lock' on this forum issue.
By the way, on issue of reselling cars...they are not a copyright issue.


If you're bored please try another thread. There's plenty of them.
No one is violating any rules to warrant a lock up.
Some of us are enjoying this thread. And everyone is being very respectful of each other.


You are perfectly correct...and that is what I was doing. This person had 5-6 comments within a short time span. All were negative and placed to incite. They were reported as such by a number of people and that 'poster' has been banned.


I don't know who you are referring to and it doesn't really matter.
This is a pretty good thread about recording video's.
A lot of good info is coming out because of this thread.
It shouldn't be locked up just because you're bored with someone's post.
Members shouldn't be banned just because a clique doesn't like them.
I would love to record a few shows but its not worth a legal hassle.
And apparently its not that easy to do either.
 
texashildy
Posts: 202
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:03 pm

Re: Setup to Record?

Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:55 pm

Ooh, cool, I'm part of a clique!
Cable Cut Feb. 1, 2011 & not looking back
Roku 3, Roku XDS, & OTA via outdoor antenna
Netflix since 2007, Amazon Prime since 2012
Yes, I have Hulu+ & I like it, thank you very much.
 
Village Idiot
Posts: 1068
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: Setup to Record?

Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:18 pm

texashildy wrote:
Ooh, cool, I'm part of a clique!


LOL you wish.
 
davezatz
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:01 am
Contact:

Re: Setup to Record?

Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:59 am

jp1 wrote:
If you are only interested in logistics and not concerned with legality or morality then there are always ways to accomplish what you want. You are free to make up your own mind about what laws you want to follow and what ones you would like to break as long as you are willing to assume the risk of punishment when/if you are caught.


Again, a good number of digital media scenarios have not been legally tested in court in regards to the sometimes contradictory DMCA and earlier Fair Use precedents. However, I will say Roku will get nailed before any individual customer does. Did the NCAA work a licensing deal with them to stream basketball? Or how about the vast majority of content made available within Newscaster?
 
User avatar
jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 5523
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:51 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Contact:

Re: Setup to Record?

Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:17 am

davezatz wrote:
jp1 wrote:
If you are only interested in logistics and not concerned with legality or morality then there are always ways to accomplish what you want. You are free to make up your own mind about what laws you want to follow and what ones you would like to break as long as you are willing to assume the risk of punishment when/if you are caught.


Again, a good number of digital media scenarios have not been legally tested in court in regards to the sometimes contradictory DMCA and earlier Fair Use precedents. However, I will say Roku will get nailed before any individual customer does. Did the NCAA work a licensing deal with them to stream basketball? Or how about the vast majority of content made available within Newscaster?


The stuff you're referring to is made available for free via the web- the channels you're questioning are just passing it thru to the Roku, presented identically as they were on the web. There's no "stealing" going on if it's already free to all all to stream.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 28 guests