Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

davezatz

Re: Setup to Record?

Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:31 am

jeffrok wrote:
davezatz wrote:
Again, a good number of digital media scenarios have not been legally tested in court in regards to the sometimes contradictory DMCA and earlier Fair Use precedents. However, I will say Roku will get nailed before any individual customer does. Did the NCAA work a licensing deal with them to stream basketball? Or how about the vast majority of content made available within Newscaster?

The stuff you're referring to is made available for free via the web- the channels you're questioning are just passing it thru to the Roku, presented identically as they were on the web. There's no "stealing" going on if it's already free to all all to stream.

I didn't claim it was stealing. However, it is subverting the content from its intended purpose and I'm willing to bet many of those providers have language which prohibits that. And online content is rarely free for all to stream - there's advertising material that surrounds the video, whatever metrics they choose to run, regional restrictions, etc. Roku may be too small or these providers may not care. But it's a point worth making when someone suggests archiving content for personal use is illegal or immoral. We just don't know...

destruk

Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:25 pm

If you are a teacher, the RIAA has approved the camcorder method of recording content from media. What you do is set up your camcorder, point it at your TV Set, play back the material, and there is your copy. If you are not a teacher, they don't want you doing that either. So there is your current answer.

Village Idiot

Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:59 pm

destruk wrote:
If you are a teacher, the RIAA has approved the camcorder method of recording content from media. What you do is set up your camcorder, point it at your TV Set, play back the material, and there is your copy. If you are not a teacher, they don't want you doing that either. So there is your current answer.

I never learned anything like that when i was in school. Those sneaky teachers.
How's the picture and sound quality when you do that ? I don't own a camcorder.

DeftOne

Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:18 pm

destruk wrote:

Why would the RIAA (Recording Industry Association of America), which is the trade organization for music labels, have any say in what you can or can not do with regards to recording video? Perhaps you meant the MPAA (Motion Picture Association of America)?
Roku2 XS (13A166000325) HDMI to LG 42" LCD 1080p (42LH30)
Roku XDS (K0A073000137)
Netgear WNDR3400 (all Rokus wireless)
25 Mbps

destruk

Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:46 pm

Quite correct - I don't like either of them as they are telling me what I can and can't do with my own equipment. But here is their video.
http://vimeo.com/4520463