Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

KennyJ

Re: YouTube

Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:14 pm

NOOOOOO!!!!!

This is terrible news. F*** Google! Not evil, my a**.

krisbee

Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:19 am

Well I suspect it is due to the commericals that have been cropping up before some videos on the website... which I hate. I know they deserve money for their efforts, but they can do a banner below the video and still be effective in my opinion...

Hopefully an official channel is around the corner - youtube is a big factor of my enjoyment of the roku.

Still, anyway we can telnet in and save a copy in case of disaster, and be able to upload it back if our box (or get a new one) if that ever happens?

kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:30 am

I hate to say it, but discussing workarounds on Roku's forum after an official copyright complaint take down is likely to just get the thread locked.
They have no choice.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R

TheEndless

Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:08 am

krisbee wrote:
I know they deserve money for their efforts, but they can do a banner below the video and still be effective in my opinion...?

A significant number of YouTube video views is via embeds on other sites, where a banner ad wouldn't be seen. Banner ads can also be easily blocked, whereas embedded ads can't.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

krisbee

Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:17 am

Hopefully they can come up with an official channel based on Nowhereman's work, (banner ads on search and menus), occasional ads when you are on for awhile like crackle, assuming this is the issue.

The YouTube channel was our second most watched channel, and with the connection to an account so we can watch favorites and who we were following, it was very useful without being intrusive.

davezatz

Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:28 am

krisbee wrote:
Hopefully they can come up with an official channel based on Nowhereman's work, (banner ads on search and menus), occasional ads when you are on for awhile like crackle, assuming this is the issue.

Not sure if money changes hands for YouTube TV licensing. Also to survive,the Channel must honor these settings. Perhaps it already does.

(I don't generate any significant revenue from YouTube, and make my content available to all platforms - so I have no vested interest. Well, I have a little vested interest as I enjoy the app. But who could be surprised with this outcome?)

KennyJ

Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:33 am

davezatz wrote:
krisbee wrote:

Not sure if money changes hands for YouTube TV licensing. Also to survive,the Channel must honor these settings. Perhaps it already does.

(I don't generate any significant revenue from YouTube, and make my content available to all platforms - so I have no vested interest. Well, I have a little vested interest as I enjoy the app. But who could be surprised with this outcome?)

I'm confused. How does the channel "honor" embedding? Embedding is HTML code on a page. Roku doesn't "embed" anything. As for the syndication, I think this is the only way for the Channel to work. It uses the .mp4 versions which were originally developed for the iPhone. So, I believe if a video is set to "no" then it wouldn't work on Roku just for technical reasons.

TheEndless

Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:35 am

EDIT: nevermind
Last edited by TheEndless on Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

davezatz

Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:38 am

KennyJ wrote:
I'm confused. How does the channel "honor" embedding? Embedding is HTML code on a page. Roku doesn't "embed" anything. As for the syndication, I think this is the only way for the Channel to work. It uses the .mp4 versions which were originally developed for the iPhone. So, I believe if a video is set to "no" then it wouldn't work on Roku just for technical reasons.

I have no idea how the Channel does what it does (and Google probably doesn't either), I'm just putting this out there for discussion as these are publisher options. Like I said, perhaps it's already covered - and what you say suggests that it could be.

scorpionkk

Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:13 am

I am new to Roku, tried to add youtube as private channel with code B8VVK. I am getting erros saying "The channel code provided is not associated with a valid channel."

Could any one suggest me how to get You tube added to Roku channel list? Code changed? is there any new one?

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:23 am

http://support.roku.com/entries/267177- ... oku-player

Please see the above referenced page.

In short, at the request of YouTube, the private channel is no longer available on Roku.

Thanks,
C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

stratcat96

Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:57 am

RokuShawnS wrote:
http://support.roku.com/entries/267177-can-i-access-youtube-on-my-roku-player

Please see the above referenced page.

In short, at the request of YouTube, the private channel is no longer available on Roku.

Thanks,
C. Shawn Smith

Shawn,

Do you know (or are allowed to say) if the already-installed channel will stop working at some point and/or if there is going to be something forthcoming to replace it?

ioan

Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:51 pm

Can we get the code? What if we add the channel in development mode? :-)
https://github.com/e1ioan/
http://rokucam.com

RokuChris

Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:07 pm

I will not be distributing the channel source code. The content provider has made their wishes clear and I will respect that, which is exactly what I said I would do a year ago should the current situation ever come to pass.

WardFamily

Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:31 pm

Just posted on Youtube Facebook page. (Please let Roku keep its Youtube Channel. Please!!!!!!!!! Thank You!) Go to Youtube page and like the post. Lets show them how much we want them on Roku. http://www.facebook.com/youtube?ref=ts&sk=wall
http://lindenalabama.net