Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

mig_akira
Topic Author

Roku almost exclusively for offline content

Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:58 am

Hello everyone!

I live in Brazil, and here we don't have access to Hulu, Pandora, etc, only Netflix. But I am planning on purchasing a Roku 2 XS, the only one that has an USB port. I want to play movies that are on my external HDD.

How well can Roku handle recorded movie files? Can it play 720p MKV? Or H.264? Does it have support for .srt subtitles?

Can I organize my files in folders (like 'vacations', 'parties', etc) or something like it?

A friend of mine told me to buy an Apple TV and use iTunes to stream movies to my TV, or even the new AirMirroring that supports macbooks, but I don't know...maybe roku 2 XS would be a better solution!

Thanks!!

KennyJ

Re: Roku almost exclusively for offline content

Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:02 am

I love Roku, but would not recommend it for playing offline content. It's strength is online content.

I would look at something else, like WD TV Live (http://wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=330) or Popcorn Hour (http://www.popcornhour.com/onlinestore/ ... nItemId=47)

DBDukes

Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:21 am

mig_akira wrote:
A friend of mine told me to buy an Apple TV and use iTunes to stream movies to my TV, or even the new AirMirroring that supports macbooks, but I don't know...maybe roku 2 XS would be a better solution!

Can't speak to Brazil, and content restrictions there, but my daughter, currently in Germany, has issues with iTunes streaming content to her Apple TV. Using iTunes content from her laptop via Apple's Home Sharing hasn't been a problem, though, as long as she has Internet access for Apple TV to validate her Home Sharing account.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com
-------------------------------------------------
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

castalla

Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:46 am

I'd avoid the WD TV smb - it stinks. Buggy firmware - each update version brings new woes. Avi files stutter and lose sync. Other formats I've tried seemed okay. The user interface is clunky, and slow. You can't add any apps or plugins - you get what WD want you to have. The only advantage is that you don't need a specific server running to see files on a NAS or fileserver.

The major disadvantages of the Roku are that you need to run a fileserver program on the device where the files are, plus a 'player' like Mymedia on the Roku, and the file type is limited to mp4.

tensen

Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:47 am

mig_akira wrote:
How well can Roku handle recorded movie files? Can it play 720p MKV? Or H.264? Does it have support for .srt subtitles?

Generally no on the MKV. It does play some files, but not just anything in that format. Yes, it handles .srt fine.

ronfelder

Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:14 pm

Try using Plex. I'm now using it to stream movies from my hard drive. Works great and the app and server software is free.
Roku 2100x, (2) Roku2 3100x ,Roku 2720X .FIOS Quantum modem router, Verizon FIOS 50/50, LG HDTV 42LH90, Pioneer VSX-920 Audio/Video Multi Channel Receiver

mommom

Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:57 pm

You could use Plex,but then you have to run a pc as a server,so why not just use an htpc and be done with it?
If you don't want to run an htpc,the blueray player is a good option.