Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

l10ns12n
Topic Author

Roku 2 + WRT54GS = Connect/Update fail

Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:09 pm

Sorry about bringing this topic up again. I have searched and read the forum threads, but couldn't find how to resolve the issue I am having. I spent about 6 hours today with several Roku Support Operators live chatting with them online as I tried out several things to get it working.

I am new to Roku. Saw it at a relatives place and wanted to try it out.
So, I got a Roku XD this morning.
1. Plugged it in and tried to connect to my wireless router
Router -> (Linksys WRT54GS) running in pppoe mode to a westell mstatea adsl2+router modem running in bridged mode.
Router running in WPA security, firewall enabled, ssid not broadcasting.
2. I configured the wireless info, saw the 3 green lights show up (wireless, local network, internet) on the TV screen and got to the software update page.
3. Clicked on software update and waited for about 5 min or so as the Progress went from 0% to 92% in steps of 4 or 5. Once it got to 92% it consistently would error out with "Can't connect to Roku ... " and report " ... error Code: 011 ..."

Got on a internet live chat with Support Operator (I went through about 5 of them over a 6 hour period, trying to explain to them all the things I had tried before and trying out various things they suggested). Here they are (in no particular order, but generally how I recall it from this morning)
1. unplug/replug the Roku 2 XD for 2 min and retry
2. hard reset by pushing on the reset button for 20 secs (roku would simply start restarting after about 6 or so secs and do nothing different based on the length of time the reset button was pushed down for.)
3. hard reset by pushing on the reset button for 30 secs
4. hard reset by pushing on the reset button for 40 secs
5. hard reset by pushing on the reset button for 60 secs
6. disable firewall, turn off roku, router, modem in that order, wait for a few minutes, start modem, router, roku in that order. then retry.
7. add DNS (208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220), and then attempt several of 2-6 above.
8. Move the Roku player away from the TV and try to turn on/turn off and retry.
9. Guided me into the "Secret screen" and attempted update software from there. Got a different error (error code:005) after progressing to the same 92%.

Wireless Mac Filter was disabled all through. Roku 2 XD didn't have a ethernet port, so couldn't attempt trying wired update as suggested in some other threads, nevermind that my TV is downstairs in the living room and there is no close-by wired output port and there is no TV where the router/modem is. :-(
The conclusion after the 6 hour grueling exercise was that my router firmware might be outdated and would need an upgrade. Cisco/Linksys no longer releases firmware updates for the WRT54GS model (v1.1) that I have. I was astonished of such a response given I have a few PC's (windows, mac, linux), Wii, Android and Apple phones, all neatly and decently sharing the same router + modem setup for several years w/o trouble.

I went back and returned the Roku 2 XD back at the store for a refund. Guessing I might have just gotten a bad player, in the evening went to another store and got a Roku 2 XS.
Tried all the steps above and same result. I will give the Mac Filtering and DMZ tomorrow. I don't know how I can accomplish the wired update step given the TV and router + modem are on different floors.

If anybody (one of the Roku moderators like Shawn or Ryan) has any ideas how to solve this, it would be great. I would have guessed since this has come-up before, Roku would have a solution for this already.

Still excited and looking forward to getting the Roku working but need HELP!

DerekHelps

Re: Roku 2 + WRT54GS = Connect/Update fail

Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:16 am

Can you try going to a friends house for initial setup to see if you can complete the update and then see if the unit works once the update is complete?
Netgear WNR2000v2
Linksys WRT54G with DD-WRT Firmware acting as Client Bridge
Soundbridge M2000/M500/R1000
Roku 2 XS 3100
-------------------------------------------------
It's all in the <sup>details</sup>

microlady

Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:32 am

I see the above are good suggestions for you to try. This is just a FYI post saying...I have
a Linksys WRT54GL that is working fine with my old Roku N1000.

I think your router should be okay. It does sound like a type of Settings problem maybe.
Don't give up on your router.
Original Roku Model N1000,bought 2008 (2014 still works perfectly)
2014 new owner of Roku 3500 (HDMI) streaming stick
2016 new owner of Roku 3600 (HDMI) streaming stick

l10ns12n
Topic Author

Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:38 am

trekkeriii wrote:
Try disabling firewalls and security temporarily on the Router as well.

Tried these. No luck. Same "error Code:011" issue persists. :-(

l10ns12n
Topic Author

Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:40 am

DerekHelps wrote:
Can you try going to a friends house for initial setup to see if you can complete the update and then see if the unit works once the update is complete?

Thanks for the suggestion. Will keep that on my list of options to try out.

RickRansom

Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:12 am

I've had a WRT54G that lasted me for some good years until I had to upgrade it. If your Roku is gonna work with a different router, chances are it may also work when you take it back to your place. If it does, you may need to look into investing in a new router in the future. I'm now running a Cisco E3000 and have been happy ever since I may the jump. :mrgreen:
Retired
- Now works at Riot Games

l10ns12n
Topic Author

Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:35 am

Update
After juggling a bunch of things, I was able to move my modem down to where the TV was, reset the modem so it was back in non-bridge/regular mode, run a super long phone cable to connect my modem to a phone jack, ran another super long ethernet cable to connect my modem to the roku device and stretched the A/V cable full length to connect the roku to the TV. Once, I had this setup, the Roku updated and went past the 92%, gave an activation code which I had to enter into my computer for which I had no more ethernet ports available. When I switched the one ethernet port on the modem between the roku and ethernet, I got stuck in a new activation code loop.
At this point, I disconnected the modem from the roku device, turned it back into bridge mode, connected back to the router and then wirelessly accessed both the roku and my laptop and was able to proceed through the rest of the steps to get all working. :-)

Thanks for the tips from several folks on various threads on the forum. I feel accomplished!