Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Drjasper
Topic Author

Roku 3 Volume control

Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:59 pm

I am baffled as to why the controller cannot be used to control the TV volume. I understand and love the feature of the headphone jack, but to not have an option in settings to control TV volume is extremely perplexing to me. Please add this support soon as having to constantly work 2 remotes is well very annoying.

Thank you,

Dr Jasper.....

dwanthny

Re: Roku 3 Volume control

Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:16 am

Drjasper wrote:
I am baffled as to why the controller cannot be used to control the TV volume. I understand and love the feature of the headphone jack, but to not have an option in settings to control TV volume is extremely perplexing to me. Please add this support soon as having to constantly work 2 remotes is well very annoying.

This feature most likely won't exist any time soon since none of the Rokus have any audio control built into the boxes. The only solution is to buy a universal remote such as one of the Harmony models. This will allow you to control multiple devices from a single remote.

Drjasper
Topic Author

Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:13 am

I see your point, however when you plug your earphones into the controller it disables the audio to the TV, indicating audio access and control. Does that make sense......should be an easy step to add level to what's already architected.....

dwanthny

Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:26 am

Drjasper wrote:
I see your point, however when you plug your earphones into the controller it disables the audio to the TV, indicating audio access and control.

Audio control as in on/off not volume up/down.

Drjasper wrote:
Does that make sense......should be an easy step to add level to what's already architected.....

But what you think is "architected" doesn't exist.

philsoft
** Valued Community Member **

Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:26 am

Drjasper wrote:
I see your point, however when you plug your earphones into the controller it disables the audio to the TV, indicating audio access and control. Does that make sense......should be an easy step to add level to what's already architected.....

I doubt it will happen any time soon. Roku has historically put simplicity as a top priority. While this may seem simple to some, others will find that adding more options, makes things too complex.

djmccormick

Fri May 24, 2013 6:20 pm

philsoft wrote:
I doubt it will happen any time soon. Roku has historically put simplicity as a top priority. While this may seem simple to some, others will find that adding more options, makes things too complex.

Then why is this on the remote?

Seems like the simplest thing would be for the volume controls to work. I just bought two units and am pretty bummed that I can't control the volume using the Roku remote. When I use these buttons I just get a speaker icon with an exclamation point next to it and the volume doesn't change.

philsoft

Fri May 24, 2013 6:30 pm

That is volume for the headphones, not the TV.

djmccormick

Fri May 24, 2013 6:44 pm

I was just pointing out that having the ability to control the volume would simplify usage further for users, not complicate it. The buttons are there and the device understands my intention to control the volume when I press them, showing the speaker and exclamation point as an indication. There is the ability to control the volume of the sounds the device makes as you scroll through and select items, but no ability to control the volume of media playback.

Now, I don't understand the technical limitations preventing volume control on the Roku 3, but there must be some. I can't imagine a product designer that would leave volume control off the remote but invest so much in adding a headphone jack -- something that's useful, sure, but much less useful than volume control would be.

TheEndless

Fri May 24, 2013 8:52 pm

djmccormick wrote:
I was just pointing out that having the ability to control the volume would simplify usage further for users, not complicate it. The buttons are there and the device understands my intention to control the volume when I press them, showing the speaker and exclamation point as an indication. There is the ability to control the volume of the sounds the device makes as you scroll through and select items, but no ability to control the volume of media playback.

Now, I don't understand the technical limitations preventing volume control on the Roku 3, but there must be some. I can't imagine a product designer that would leave volume control off the remote but invest so much in adding a headphone jack -- something that's useful, sure, but much less useful than volume control would be.

Most likely because, particularly with digital audio, the Roku just passes the signal through to the receiver or TV. Changing the volume would require the signal to be pre-processed by the Roku, which could introduce a whole host of new issues. They could probably fairly easily add it to the stereo audio output, but then they'd have a support nightmare explaining why 5.1 audio isn't volume adjusted. Volume control should be handled by the device that has the speakers connected to it.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

rwmnau

Fri May 31, 2013 11:35 pm

I understand that it passes auto through when it's digital, but the Roku3 has a setting where I can change audio from 2-channel to Surround Sound - in this case, I'm telling the device that my destination audio is analog and no further processing will occur, so I'd expect audio volume to work in this case. If I set it to surround, then pass it straight through, but two-channel audio should respect the volume control on the remote, not just the headphones.

An otherwise awesome device without a single complaint from me, but this is moderately annoying.

trekkeriii

Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:16 am

rwmnau wrote:
I understand that it passes auto through when it's digital, but the Roku3 has a setting where I can change audio from 2-channel to Surround Sound

Your telling Roku to change from one Audio Track to another (the streams have different audio tracks as well as different video tracks), which is very different than doing any decoding. I've always had to deal with changing volume based on whether I am listening to a music MP3 track versus listening to a Dolby Digital track on my Stereo Receivers. If I forget to turn my volume down after watching a 5.1 sound show to listen to an MP3, I get a nice scare.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert

rwmnau

Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:40 am

Ah - I didn't realize that was just the stream preference, rather than telling the Roku to mix for that speaker layout. In any case, I'd pay for a remote that was exactly like the remote that came with it, but with IR on it that did TV volume and power, and that's it. I suppose I'll just resign to using two remotes for now, and wait for the hopes of the other device owners to lead to some kind of enhancement :)

namad

Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:10 pm

a tv remote controls volume via IR.
a roku 3 uses radio to control it's device.

a roku 3 nor it's remote generate an IR signal. as such your tv can never receive a faked volume adjustment signal from the roku 3, ever.

all that said there's no reason the roku couldn't adjust the volume inside itself before passing the information along, but having the actual volume menu overlay appear on the tv screen won't ever happen.

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:19 pm

C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan