Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

 
User avatar
lion7718
Topic Author
Posts: 641
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:01 am

Target's 'Ticket' video download and streaming service

Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:52 pm

Roku 2 XS: 3100X Version 7.2.0 Build 4100-02
Roku 1 SE: 2710X Version 7.2.0 Build 4100-06
 
User avatar
jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 4273
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:51 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Contact:

Re: Target's 'Ticket' video download and streaming service

Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:52 pm

Getting a little overcrowded, isn't it?
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
 
User avatar
lion7718
Topic Author
Posts: 641
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:01 am

Re: Target's 'Ticket' video download and streaming service

Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:26 pm

Yep, with all these deals being made...either they'll all have the same movies or we might have to install 5-6 different channels to see everything.
Roku 2 XS: 3100X Version 7.2.0 Build 4100-02
Roku 1 SE: 2710X Version 7.2.0 Build 4100-06
 
User avatar
KennyJ
Posts: 4051
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:18 am
Location: Lawndale, CA

Re: Target's 'Ticket' video download and streaming service

Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:32 pm

I guess it's no different than having 5 different video stores in your neighborhood to choose from.
 
Gilgamesh
Posts: 4912
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:29 am
Location: Dayton TN

Re: Target's 'Ticket' video download and streaming service

Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:52 pm

As long as it is not simply a duplication of available titles, that is there is at least some uniqueness, then more is better.

Also as long as the various services avoid collusion on prices so there is actual competition then even duplication would be good.

Choice is almost always good as long as the video services do not start to look like the cereal isle at the market then this is quite good.
 
User avatar
jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 4273
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:51 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Contact:

Re: Target's 'Ticket' video download and streaming service

Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:59 pm

KennyJ wrote:
I guess it's no different than having 5 different video stores in your neighborhood to choose from.



But it seems pricing and selection for these "premium rental" channels is the same, the selection is very, very similar.

When I used to go to the video store, there were never more than one or two in the same neighborhood.. And if there were more, competition would weed out the weakest store.. The same will happen with these newcomers too, unless they do something to set themselves apart from the "tried and true" services like Amazon and Vudu..I do think more premium rental services will put more pressure on Netflix to possibly add premium per-movie rentals.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
 
User avatar
knuckle
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 4527
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:16 pm
Location: Florida,USA

Re: Target's 'Ticket' video download and streaming service

Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:32 am

I am waiting for amazon, netflix and hulu to combine and become Nuluflixazon 10 dollars,10 devices and all that streaming goodness plus free shipping on anything bought anywhere :D Till then, competition, real gotta beat the other guy,survival of the fittest type competition is a good thing
ROKU 3 4114AT076252
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV 2N002P050587 2WE012050587
ROKU HDMI STICK 5S35CF000124
all running wireless on a Technicolor C2000T
 
User avatar
KennyJ
Posts: 4051
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:18 am
Location: Lawndale, CA

Re: Target's 'Ticket' video download and streaming service

Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:45 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:
As long as it is not simply a duplication of available titles, that is there is at least some uniqueness, then more is better.

Also as long as the various services avoid collusion on prices so there is actual competition then even duplication would be good.

Choice is almost always good as long as the video services do not start to look like the cereal isle at the market then this is quite good.


I don't know for sure, but I suspect that pricing is set by the studios... which is why the pricing all seems to be about the same across the board. With digital sales and VOD, the providers don't have first sale doctrine which lets them sell/rent/etc at any price they want... they MAY have to answer to the studios about pricing, etc.
 
Gilgamesh
Posts: 4912
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:29 am
Location: Dayton TN

Re: Target's 'Ticket' video download and streaming service

Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:16 am

KennyJ wrote:
I don't know for sure, but I suspect that pricing is set by the studios... which is why the pricing all seems to be about the same across the board. With digital sales and VOD, the providers don't have first sale doctrine which lets them sell/rent/etc at any price they want... they MAY have to answer to the studios about pricing, etc.


If the pricing is not up to the ultimate seller then it sounds a LOT like price fixing.

However I think the apparent collusion is more the result of the studios charging everyone the same amount for the same content which is not price fixing.

The providers are probably hitting close to the same prices because they have just about the same fixed cost and all business schools use almost exactly the same formula to get their markup to create their desired profit margin.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests