Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering
Topic Author

Roku USB Channel becomes Roku Media Player

Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:25 pm

Just a heads up: the Roku USB Channel has become the Roku Media Player channel, now with DLNA support ;)

Enjoy!

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

thetick

Re: Roku USB Channel becomes Roku Media Player

Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:59 pm

Any more technical details then what's at the channel store? http://www.roku.com/channels/#!details/ ... dia-player

I'm just wondering if this channel is needed with Plex since there is a Plex channel to play media? DLNA is great to know for future purchases (don't have any DLNA compliant devices yet). I only run the Plex Media Server (no other media servers) so I'm curious what new features this channel provides me?
TheTick
Roku 3 for Pokeman TV
PC/Chromecast for all other media
Verizon FIOS

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering
Topic Author

Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:16 pm

This will work with Plex Media Server, and should work with most/all other media servers you may be using. It also works with the USB port.

Since the Plex Roku channel now costs $4.99 (I believe) for new subscribers, it's another (free) alternative.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------

thetick

Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:23 pm

RokuShawnS wrote:
Since the Plex Roku channel now costs $4.99 (I believe) for new subscribers, it's another (free) alternative.

Yikes... Glad I got it was free. Hopefully upgrades to are grandfather free for those who originally installed the free version.
TheTick
Roku 3 for Pokeman TV
Verizon FIOS

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering
Topic Author

Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:24 pm

thetick wrote:
RokuShawnS wrote:

Yikes... Glad I got it was free. Hopefully upgrades to are grandfather free for those who originally installed the free version.

They are.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------

Stromm

Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:42 pm

I'd like to know more info on the DLNA requirements too. Sadly, not all DLNA implmentations are the same.

It's weird. I have a D-Link NAS-325 with a share called MEDIA. Under that is Music, Video and Photo. Opening Video gives Movies and TVShows. Under Movies is a folder for genre, then a single folder for each movie. For TVShows, there's a folder for each show, then season, then the season's episodes witihn that.

I'm looking for things like...
What folder structure is expected.
What file name format is expected.
What file types and encodings are supported.

Tivoburkee

Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:24 pm

I'm happy for everybody else, but this upgrade messed me up good. I have music on micro SD cards, have them inserted into card reader, which is plugged into the usb port. I used be able to hit play and it treated all 700 songs as one file. Now they are grouped in boxes, each box is treated as a separate file. Enter the box, play, than you need to back out of the box, pick a different box and play it. I hate this. :(

lion7718

Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:35 pm

Stromm wrote:
What file types and encodings are supported.

It only supports what Roku supports...if you go into the channel & click on Help, it will pretty much tell what you asked.
Roku Stick: 3600X Version 7.6.0 Build 4112
Roku 1 SE: 2710X Version 7.6.0 Build 4112
Roku 2 XS: 3100X Version 7.5.0 Build 4099 (Retired)

cjcox

Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:28 pm

It found my plex server. Of course listing all 600 movies or so took a while to load... but seems "ok"... not as good as native roku app, but still... interesting. Channels didn't work.. but ok for videos, music, etc.

thetick

Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:34 pm

The Roku Media Player just states videos from Plex are corrupt, my photos are displayed fine. Same videos play fine with Plex channel and Plex RAR channels. Any suggestions? This channel is listed as a Roku owned channel so do need to contact Roku support or is this forum adequate?
TheTick
Roku 3 for Pokeman TV
Verizon FIOS

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:54 pm

thetick wrote:
The Roku Media Player just states videos from Plex are corrupt, my photos are displayed fine. Same videos play fine with Plex channel and Plex RAR channels. Any suggestions? This channel is listed as a Roku owned channel so do need to contact Roku support or is this forum adequate?

I'm not 100% sure how Plex's DLNA interface works, but it probably doesn't know that it needs to transcode videos to the Roku, so if your videos aren't in a native Roku format, they're unlikely to play via the Roku Media Player. You're much better off using the native Plex app.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

lion7718

Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:46 pm

Plex is Plex, I use Plex & their channel...as it should be.
The new Roku Media Player is like all the other Roku USB channels out there...I liked the old Roku USB better cause it only showed what I had at that moment in whatever folder I had it in...I have 48 folders to look at now, trying to remember which has a video in it.
So with 48 folders if I had 3 videos I saw just the 3 folders, where as now I see them all...just more work for me. :lol:
Roku Stick: 3600X Version 7.6.0 Build 4112
Roku 1 SE: 2710X Version 7.6.0 Build 4112
Roku 2 XS: 3100X Version 7.5.0 Build 4099 (Retired)

Breezelaters

Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:06 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!

I've been waiting for this feature for years and can finally rid myself of my WD TV Live. DLNA support has been one of the largest shortcomings for me and this will cement my decision to upgrade to the roku 3 from my two 2 XS's.

Please keep up the great work and bring us the updated netflix interface that supports profiles next!

RokuDale
Roku Engineering

Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:02 pm

When using Plex as a Media Server make sure you are using Plex version 0.9.8.17 or later. There are special profiles included with that Plex release that tell it what to play direct and what to transcode.

RokuDale
Roku Engineering

Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:04 pm

From the first screen that comes up, select 'help' and it will give you some information on supported formats.