Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

vnazario

Re: So Long, Justin.tv

Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:46 am

thetick wrote:
I never understood why Roku allowed the Justin TV channel which was blatantly distributing content they obviously did not own. I guess if the illegally distributed content comes and goes and other amateur content is available Roku just looks the other way.

Yea how dare that evil Google company shutdown our free illegally distributed videos! It's as bad as the evil government taking away our unemployment benefits after 2 years.

We live in a pathetic time , where everyone wants everything for nothing. Unlimited entitlement and no self responsibility...

Hi:

Come on, let's be real here!!! I'm sure you enjoyed watching stuff from this channel like the rest of us. Probably not legal but was available free for everyone to enjoy. This channel always had something good "mainstream" to watch. I will miss it and will have to find other ways to enjoy the same content.
vnazario

2xRoku2 XS,Roku1+SE,Logitech Revue GoogleTV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini+EyeTV DVR+RabbitTV+PLEX+Kodi,TiVo Premiere,Sony BluRay+streaming apps,Equiso Android TV,FireTV,Nexus player,Simple.TV Local TV:QAM from ISP coax line. PLEX+unsupported apps

kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:48 am

I never understood why Roku allowed the Justin TV channel which was blatantly distributing content they obviously did not own.

Most likely because they never received a complaint from a copyright owner about the channel. Roku isn't a cop. They don't go looking for infringment,
but they do take action when a legal content owner complains.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R

Schmye Bubbula

Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:00 am

Parting shot, posted yesterday (Aug 5, 2014)

I suppose Justin.tv's spin-off, Socialcam, won't fill in the vacuum.

Loss of Justin.tv is a severe blow to those here, like myself, who used it daily. Let's keep this thread open, in case a viable substitute emerges. (It certainly won't be USTREAM or livestream.)

I think I'll miss breezyy123 the most!
– –
Roku 3 (4200) purchased for $22.93 on clearance at Office Depot > Bleiden HDMI-to-Composite converter > old 4:3 CRT TV (now in another room, as I have acquired a modern LCD flat screen TV, March 2017)

R.I.P. Roku XD|S (2100), Feb 2011–Apr 2016

vnazario

Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:25 am

Schmye Bubbula wrote:
Parting shot, posted yesterday (Aug 5, 2014)

I suppose Justin.tv's spin-off, Socialcam, won't fill in the vacuum.

Loss of Justin.tv is a severe blow to those here, like myself, who used it daily. Let's keep this thread open, in case a viable substitute emerges. (It certainly won't be USTREAM or livestream.)

I think I'll miss breezyy123 the most!

Hello:

Someone in another thread suggested: Vaughnlive.TV as a Justin.TV alternative. I haven't been able to check it out (I'm at work now) so maybe one of you guys can check it out and post here what they think about it. If it is worth while it can be seen on a computer or other OTT box/device that supports browser (GoogleTV, Boxee Box, Android, iOS). Maybe a Roku developer can create a channel for it.
vnazario

2xRoku2 XS,Roku1+SE,Logitech Revue GoogleTV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini+EyeTV DVR+RabbitTV+PLEX+Kodi,TiVo Premiere,Sony BluRay+streaming apps,Equiso Android TV,FireTV,Nexus player,Simple.TV Local TV:QAM from ISP coax line. PLEX+unsupported apps

Schmye Bubbula

Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:52 am

^ Bingo! A big thanks and tip o' the hat to vnazario!! Vaughn Live — [V] LIVE — looks to be a promising alternative! Take a look under the "Misc" section. Some streams are already displaying, "Welcome JTVers."

Hey, TheEndless... hey, nowhereman...
– –
Roku 3 (4200) purchased for $22.93 on clearance at Office Depot > Bleiden HDMI-to-Composite converter > old 4:3 CRT TV (now in another room, as I have acquired a modern LCD flat screen TV, March 2017)

R.I.P. Roku XD|S (2100), Feb 2011–Apr 2016

vnazario

Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:07 am

Schmye Bubbula wrote:
^ Bingo! A big thanks and tip o' the hat to vnazario!! Vaughn Live — [V] LIVE — looks to be a promising alternative! Take a look under the "Misc" section. Some streams are already displaying, "Welcome JTVers."

Hey, TheEndless... hey, nowhereman...

Hello:

Thanks, but the credit goes to forum member "TexGuy". I just remember reading his post earlier today.
vnazario

TexGuy

Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:10 am

Thank You
Insignia Roku tv 32" ID 44354F306508
Insignia Roku tv 39" ID 6Y4761361022
Mohu - Leaf 50 Amplified Indoor HDTV Antenna
Roku3, Roku2
HDMI Cable ($6.99 cables unlimited)
ATT Uverse

beq

Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:27 am

Just curious why the abrupt shutdown, instead of giving a notice followed by a grace period?

Seems the announcement came along with the shutdown itself, so broadcasters couldn't archive their stuff, contact viewers, etc?

beq

Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:30 am

primwluv wrote:
SO....is there anything similar to Justintv? Ustream and livestream are NOT similar in my opinion...I use to watch ghost adventures on there, home improvement and big bang....and they had a great kids tv stream that had kids movies...:(

vnazario wrote:
Pobably the most used "Live" channel on my Roku. Was great to have a continuous stream of Big Bang, Ancient Aliens and other mainstream TV content and movies. Sometimes not the best quality but only free channel with mainstream TV and Cable content.

Was great to watch Big Bang on off-hours and other cable shows without ads. Was great for binge watching. Will have to get used to using Netflix and Hulu Plus again with continuos play to replace what I would watch on justin. For Big Bang I may have to resort to DVRing by now adding a Smart Recording/Season pass for it.

vnazario wrote:
Probably not legal but was available free for everyone to enjoy. This channel always had something good "mainstream" to watch. I will miss it and will have to find other ways to enjoy the same content.

Haha my wife watches ghost adventures, so I have to put up with it :mrgreen: Also saw the ancient aliens name on Roku the other day (new episode posting), and wondered what it was.

Anyways you guys know best about what's available via Plex/PlayOn. Some people also find transient stuff on YouTube.

There are also options for the Roku that can cost money. Spans the gamut, from NimbleTV Pro (legal), to ad-free recent tv episodes, to new Roku tstreamers (inspired by popcorn/isoplex/zona), all the way to fta/iks stuff...

vnazario

Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:33 am

beq wrote:
Just curious why the abrupt shutdown, instead of giving a notice followed by a grace period?

Seems the announcement came along with the shutdown itself, so broadcasters couldn't archive their stuff, contact viewers, etc?

Hello:

I believe the recent acquisition of Twitch.TV from Google has something to do with this.

Conspiracy theory: It may have also been "ordered" to shut down for transmitting unauthorized TV content. May be as a result of the Supreme Court ruling with Aereo and fines to FilmOn. Probably major broadcasters are going after all those "popular" companies that are distributing content illegally and forcing everyone to shut down or poney up lots of $$$$.

Just food for thought. Coincidence???? or Conspiracy theory
Last edited by vnazario on Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vnazario

Turmoggy

Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:38 am

VaughnTV banned arconai channel so it doesn't appear to be safe. He's now over at connectcast.tv with no problems. But the crime docs and miltary channel guy is over at vaughntv. There scrambled all over the place.

http://www.connectcast.tv/Arconai
http://www.connectcast.tv/arconai_simps

steamer

Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:56 am

mikebdoss wrote:
You could always stare through your neighbor's windows at whatever they're watching - similar quality and selection.

;) agreed.
"The Selection of Random Numbers is too Important to be Left to Chance."

Roku 1 - Model #2100X V 3.1 b1017
Roku 2 - Model #3100X V 5.5.321
both wired
VisionNet ADSL2+4 Ports Wireless
Toshiba 40G300U HDMI, 1080P

vnazario

Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:59 am

Hello:

The site "streamup" seems to be another viable JTV alternative site. Check it out and let us know what you think.
vnazario

thetick

Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:27 pm

vnazario wrote:
thetick wrote:
I never understood why Roku allowed the Justin TV channel which was blatantly distributing content they obviously did not own. I guess if the illegally distributed content comes and goes and other amateur content is available Roku just looks the other way.

Yea how dare that evil Google company shutdown our free illegally distributed videos! It's as bad as the evil government taking away our unemployment benefits after 2 years.

We live in a pathetic time , where everyone wants everything for nothing. Unlimited entitlement and no self responsibility...

Hi:
Come on, let's be real here!!! I'm sure you enjoyed watching stuff from this channel like the rest of us. Probably not legal but was available free for everyone to enjoy. This channel always had something good "mainstream" to watch. I will miss it and will have to find other ways to enjoy the same content.

To answer your question no I never watched more than a few minutes of crappy quality videos realizing it was extremely blatant pirated video. It's really no different then Napster, unauthorized copyright movie torrent sharing etc.. just because the distributor doesn't get caught does not make it legal.

I choose to pay a cable/internet bill every month so I have lots of good content. Therefore I resent those that knowingly watch blatant pirated videos. I do make the exception for shows not currently distributed as the owners are not missing any compensation when not offered in any media. For example I do watch "Ripley's Believe It or Not" (1980's) on the Anomalies Channel. I seriously doubt they own the distribution rights, but the show has not been shown on cable TV for decades and there are no DVD/BR discs.
TheTick
Roku 3 for Pokémon TV / Disney XD / PBS / Smithsonian
PC / Chromecast for all other media
Verizon FIOS

steelersrule

Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:34 pm

Wow. I used to recommend ROKU just on this channel alone. Too Bad. I really liked it. Got to watch alot of movies this way. Not the best quality, but good enough sometimes.

Also, the 24hr Simpsons, DC/Marvel, Military Docs, Star Trek, Social channels, were really awesome. Going to miss it.

Oh, well. Life goes on.