Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Talwar
Topic Author

Should I buy the Roku M1001 SoundBridge?

Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:30 pm

Hi all,

I have been looking for a good product review on the Roku M1001 sound bridge for a while now, but, no joy.

Have read some CONFUSING stuff about the soundbridge up-converting a 44.1KHz signal to 48KHz. Some say one can hear the resulting "artifacts"
1) Could someone Please shed some light on this issue.

Basically I want to convert my music collection which is on CDs to a lossless format, most likely FLAC. Create my play-lists and be able to listen to them through my Onkyo Surround Sound system.

2) How do you guys find the sound reproduction quality of the m1001?

3)Should I be aware of any other issues before I FLAC my music and buy the M1001?

:D

Thanks for your time.
Looking forward to reading your responses.
Talwar

paulwa

Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:37 am

Be aware that the soundbridge does not play FLAC natively. You need to use some music server software that does transcoding, usually to WAV in this case. If you're running the server on a PC this is fairly simple, just install the Firefly server and it works fine. If your music collection is on a NAS drive, it gets more tricky to install a server and then to enable transcoding, since many of these boxes don't have the processing power.

stretch

Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:21 am

paulwa wrote:
If your music collection is on a NAS drive, it gets more tricky to install a server and then to enable transcoding, since many of these boxes don't have the processing power.

Not quite true... The NAS box manufacturers are starting to have a music server or two preinstalled.
The ReadyNAS line actually have three preinstalled media servers to choose from, Firefly is one of them & transcoding is enabled for FLAC only.
HP have Firefly preinstalled on one of their NAS boxes.
Lacie have a music server on one of their NAS boxes.
I believe the Maxtor Shared storage has a music server preinstalled.
There are no doubt more NAS boxes on the market with a preinstalled music server.

Some music server installations may be rather primitive &/or buggy.
2 x M2000's
Infrant ReadyNAS NV+ with Firefly svn-1676
NSLU2, 500GB Maxtor One Touch III, uNSLUng 6.8, Firefly svn-1696
music library in FLAC format

Talwar
Topic Author

Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:14 am

bregent wrote:
What type of music do you listen to mostly?

A WIDE variety. Western Classical with a sprinkling of opera, Jazz big-band to contemporary, Blues, Soul, all Flavors of Rock, I have also been known to listen to and enjoy Pop.

Why do you ask?
Talwar

Burkhardi

Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:30 am

Talwar wrote:
bregent wrote:
What type of music do you listen to mostly?

A WIDE variety. Western Classical with a sprinkling of opera, Jazz big-band to contemporary, Blues, Soul, all Flavors of Rock, I have also been known to listen to and enjoy Pop.

Why do you ask?
Talwar

Look on eBay for a used M1000 or buy a M1001 via Roku's store and use their money back garantee if you find after a some use you hear issues.
Try it risk free for 30-Days money back guarantee & a one year limited warranty
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku

Talwar
Topic Author

Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:05 am

paulwa wrote:
If your music collection is on a NAS drive, it gets more tricky to install a server and then to enable transcoding, since many of these boxes don't have the processing power.

stretch wrote:
Not quite true... The NAS box manufacturers are starting to have a music server or two preinstalled.

I am sure the following concept will have issues:-

What if I were to buy space on a web-server. These day $5 to $7 a month will buy 1.5 terabytes of space and bandwidth a month.
Upload my music to the web-server. Install and run a media server on the web-server.

What do you think?
Is this a case of ignorance is BLISS?

Looking forward to reading the responses
Talwar

Talwar
Topic Author

Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:12 am

Burkhardi wrote:
Look on eBay for a used M1000 or buy a M1001 via Roku's store and use their money back garantee if you find after a some use you hear issues.

That thought has crossed my mind.

Tell me about your experience with the Roku SoundBridge.
Is the sound quality comparable or the same as playing a CD?

Talwar

Wondercow

Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:06 am

Talwar wrote:
Burkhardi wrote:

That thought has crossed my mind.

Tell me about your experience with the Roku SoundBridge.
Is the sound quality comparable or the same as playing a CD?

Talwar

If you're using an M500, M1000, or M2000 and you rip your CDs to a "CD-quality" format it'll be exactly the same. Of course CD-quality means different things to different people, so you need to judge for yourself. I wouldn't go with FLAC "just because" - try compressing a few files using different formats and see what works for you. There have been a few non-scientific studies done where the mp3 files were found to sound better than their AIFF counterparts - a phenomenon that I noticed in my own music *before* reading about them.
~Moo!
-----------------------
iTunes, iPod, iMac, iPhone, not Itunes, IPod, IMAC, iphone
MAC = Media Access Control while Mac = a brand of computers

Talwar
Topic Author

Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:48 am

Wondercow wrote:
If you're using an M500, M1000, or M2000 and you rip your CDs to a "CD-quality" format it'll be exactly the same.

Any reason why you did not include the M1001 in your list?
the M1001 is the current Roku soundbridge model available.

Wondercow

Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:13 pm

Talwar wrote:
Wondercow wrote:
If you're using an M500, M1000, or M2000 and you rip your CDs to a "CD-quality" format it'll be exactly the same.

Any reason why you did not include the M1001 in your list?
the M1001 is the current Roku soundbridge model available.

Because, as you already know, the M1001 upsamples the input to 48 kHz and may introduce noise. Obviously, if the noise issue is present, you're not getting CD quality, but if you don't get the noise it's still not bit-for-bit CD as CD audio is sampled at 44.1 kHz.

(After writing that it occurs to me that if you don't have the noise issue it still could be CD-quality, but wouldn't be an exact copy of the sound on the CD.)
~Moo!

-----------------------

iTunes, iPod, iMac, iPhone, not Itunes, IPod, IMAC, iphone

MAC = Media Access Control while Mac = a brand of computers

S80_UK

Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:54 am

Wondercow wrote:
There have been a few non-scientific studies done where the mp3 files were found to sound better than their AIFF counterparts - a phenomenon that I noticed in my own music *before* reading about them.

I think the important phrase here is "non-scientific". Since AIFF is lossless (like WAV) then if anything sounds better it is either a placebo effect, or the fact that the listener for some reason happens to prefer the lossy version.
Roku M1000, M1001, M2000, R1000, Roberts WM-201, Stream 83i

amdb7

Re: Should I buy the Roku M1001 SoundBridge?

Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:15 am

Talwar wrote:
Basically I want to convert my music collection which is on CDs to a lossless format, most likely FLAC. Create my play-lists and be able to listen to them through my Onkyo Surround Sound system.

Just a suggestion...here's what I did. I have about 400 CDs.
I wanted to store them in a lossless format, since storage is cheap and I wanted no quality loss.
I went with WAV format, since it is the raw PCM data in the CD Audio file with a wrapper on each end.
I used RealPlayer 10.5 since I already had it (available at oldversion.com) and I found that it quickly converts the CDA files into WAV, AND despite WAV not supporting ID3 tagging, builds a nice database of your library, by going and grabbing artist/album/track information, etc. It also has a built-in file renamer, which I used to rename all of my 3200 WAV tracks to the format "Artist - Song Name.wav"
I set up Firefly with a playlist called "My CD Collection" of all of my WAV files for when I want to only listen to uncompressed music as opposed to my MP3s. Works great.

I like this approach better than converting CDA to FLAC, then have Firefly transcode FLAC back to WAV. Seems like unnecessary conversions since the SoundBridge supports WAV natively. The only advantage I can see with FLAC is less storage required plus tagging, but again, storage is so cheap. However, I'm not sure of the value of FLAC tagging nor what happens to FLAC tags when Firefly transcodes FLAC to WAV for use with a SoundBridge.

BTW, I have an M1001 and an M1000. I listened for noise with the M1001 and I could not detect anything. I wonder if the whole noise thing was an issue with early-build M1001s and/or if more is made of the 48KHz sampling than is warranted.

Talwar
Topic Author

Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:12 am

amdb7 wrote:
Just a suggestion...here's what I did. I have about 400 CDs.
I wanted to store them in a lossless format, since storage is cheap and I wanted no quality loss.
I went with WAV format,..........
BTW, I have an M1001 and an M1000. I listened for noise with the M1001 and I could not detect anything. I wonder if the whole noise thing was an issue with early-build M1001s and/or if more is made of the 48KHz sampling than is warranted.

Thanks for your WAV format suggestion.

With regards to the NOISE issue here is a link:-
http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.ph ... ight=noise
as of March 2 2008 there are 16 pages of messages!

Good to know that not everyone is facing the NOISE problem. :D
What Kind of music do you listen to?

Talwar

SuzieQ

Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:25 pm

amdb7 wrote:

The noise issue is not as apparent on a mass-market system as it is for a higher-end audio system. I can hear the M1001-induced noise if I connect it to my higher-end system. This way the M1001 will remain in the kitchen; there I cannot here any upsampling noise. :wink:

amdb7

Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:48 pm

Talwar wrote:
With regards to the NOISE issue here is a link:-
http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.ph ... ight=noise
as of March 2 2008 there are 16 pages of messages!

Good to know that not everyone is facing the NOISE problem. :D
What Kind of music do you listen to?

Talwar

Yes, months ago, after I got an M1001 to replace a failed M500 that a friend gave me, I read some of that thread about M1001 noise. I have mine connected to my non-critical listening system via the M1001's DACs that feeds through the house. Then I snagged an original M1000 from eBay for my serious listening system, just in case I ever heard any noise and because I wanted a second unit.

I don't know whether my amp qualifies as higher-end, and I am not concerned. But I do recall that it (Pioneer Elite VSX-36TX) has 96 kHz 24-bit Burr Brown DACs.

If I have time, I'll try playing some test files (and real music) through M1001 via the VSX-36TX DACs versus the M1000;
and also both the M1001 and M1000 via their own DACs.

Was it ever determined whether an M1001 with the noise can be fixed with a firmware update? What say RokuLyndon?