Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

drbenway72
Topic Author

PlayOn is available in the official channel store

Thu May 11, 2017 7:35 am

I've been using PlayOn (as a private channel) for a long time and, aside from a few quirks here and there it's worked great for me.  It's available in the official Roku public channel store now.  I really dig being able to schedule recordings from my Roku.

https://channelstore.roku.com/details/138391

workerdummy

Re: PlayOn is available in the official channel store

Wed May 17, 2017 12:01 am

drbenway72 wrote:
I've been using PlayOn (as a private channel) for a long time and, aside from a few quirks here and there it's worked great for me.  It's available in the official Roku public channel store now.  I really dig being able to schedule recordings from my Roku.

https://channelstore.roku.com/details/138391

I was surprised to see that in the channel store. PlayOn has always been a taboo subject around here, a being deleted and banned for talking about it taboo subject.

Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Wed May 17, 2017 1:18 am

I would imagine that whatever the problem was has been resolved.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

knuckle
** Valued Community Member **

Wed May 17, 2017 1:10 pm

If I recall,the bone of contention was free Hulu .. now that it has gone the bone has been buried
ROKU 3 4114AT076252
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV 2N002P050587 2WE012050587
ROKU HDMI STICK 5S35CF000124
Roku Express + YU000X236772
all running wireless on a Technicolor C2000T

Elijah_Baley

Wed May 17, 2017 1:46 pm

knuckle wrote:
If I recall,the bone of contention was free Hulu .. now that it has gone the bone has been buried

That was part of the problem and another part was PlayOn lying and stating they were "partners" with Roku. PlayOn went through a period of supporting piracy, or at least appearing to do so, and that caused Roku to look on PlayOn extra critically.

I also think there was a strong cult of personalities on both sides that conflicted and Roku virtually banned any discussion of PlayOn. The reason that PlayOn continued to produce their private channel was that having their channel on the Roku platform was quite profitable.

PlayOn has cleaned up their act and Roku has eased up on the bad feelings and temper tantrums and now Roku and PlayOn are like two children that are finally able to play with the same set of toys at opposite ends of a room.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

drbenway72
Topic Author

Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:16 am

I don't recall PlayOn ever saying they were partners with Roku.  I checked with PlayOn Support and Roku and, while neither would go into detail, both indicated PlayOn had never previously been submitted as a public channel in the past.  PlayOn also made it clear that they never supported piracy and that all of the channels included in PlayOn itself have always linked to legitimate sources.

Here in the forums, the admins reasoning was around discussion of private channels in general, but that concern seemed to go away a while ago. 

Even though Hulu no longer makes content available free in a browser (and by extension PlayOn), I'm loving the Yahoo View channel in PlayOn.  Most of what was the free Hulu library has landed at view.yahoo.com.

scyber

Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:43 pm

I developed one of the original PlayOn private channels (in parallel another dev was working directly with PlayOn developing a different private channel).   I was asked by a Roku representative to remove the channel based on the "concerns about the legal exposure it may create" for Roku.   It was a side project and I had no vested interested so I removed the channel.   

Glad to see that it is finally in the Channel store, but I moved on a long time ago to other products.