Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

rockou
Topic Author

Roku 7.7 software issues

Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:51 am

I got the 7.7 update last night. 
Right away I had flickering on the screen and then when trying to go into Netflix I was getting screen drop outs and jagged letters on screen. I saw this problem a few updates back so I knew what to do. I was set on 4:2:0 so I went into the secret menu (home button pressed 5 times, down button press, left button press, up button pressed 3 times) and hit the select button to change to 4:2:2. That solved the problem. Not sure why I am having this issue again. Usually I can have 4:2:0 or 4:2:2 selected with no issues. I tried setting the Roku to 4k only (no HDR) and then tried 4:2:0 again but it still had the same flashing, jagged look so I went back to turning 4k HDR on and have it set at 4:2:2 again.

Other than that I haven't noticed any other problems.

Anyone else have any problems with this update?
4K HDR TV: Samsung UN60KS8000
4K HDR Receiver: Yamaha RX-V381
4K HDR blu ray: Samsung UBD-K8500
4K HDR streamer: Roku Ultra (2016 model)
4K HDR Gaming: Xbox One X
4K HDR DVR: Directv Genie HS17-500 w/ C61K mini client
Cables: Amazon Basics 18Gbps HDMI

Nebo1ss

Re: Roku 7.7 software issues

Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:20 am

That is not very encouraging, I was hoping this update would be the end of the problems. I changed my Chroma setting to 4:2:0 a week or so ago on 7.6 and have seen no problems since then. In fact I am the happiest with my ROKU since I first got it absolutely no problems.

Roku Ultra.
Last edited by Nebo1ss on Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RokuDale
Roku Engineering

Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:05 am

Please include the Roku model when reporting issues.
thanks
rokudale

rockou
Topic Author

Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:11 pm

Equipment is in my sig but I'll post the Roku model again anyways...

Roku Ultra

If you need the tv model or receiver it is also in my sig. Also, On the secret menu screen (home 5 times, down, left, up 3 times) it says my tv supports everything it shows available including 10 bit and 4:2:0
Before on this forum a Roku mod said that the 4:2:2 setting was for 12 bit. My TV is only 10 bit so if 4:2:2 on the Roku setting actually is 12 bit then why would it work better than 10 bit does for me?

rockou
Topic Author

Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:00 pm

Roku was sitting idle all day until around 9PM tonight. I went to watch something and as soon as I woke it up the screen was flickering again and sound dropping. I still had it on 4:2:2.
I decided to switch it back to 4:2:0 and it still did it. I unplugged the HDMI cable for 30 seconds and plugged it back in (Roku was still set at 4:2:0) and now it seems to be working right again. I let it sit idle again for about an hour while I watched tv then woke it up from the screensaver again and it was still working ok.
I'll leave it at 4:2:0 and see how it works. I hope I don't need to start unplugging the HDMI cable every once in a while. Never had to do this since I bought it the day after it was released.

thechowhouse87

Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:06 pm

I have a Roku 3 4230x. The 7.7.0 update is causing Netflix problems. When an episode or title ends (when auto play next episode would come up), the screen goes fuzzy and then black and I have to close the app. It was not doing this before the update. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Netflix and power cycling does nothing.

I have not tried other channels yet.

RokuDale
Roku Engineering

Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:22 pm

Is anyone else having similar Netflix problems with Roku-3.
@thechowhouse87 can you include additional information about your setup? And whether it happens on other channels?

hifiman36

Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:31 pm

Hello,
I have the 4400X and although it's not a netflix issue I am however, having an issue with cbs all access that I was not before the update. I have now been kicked out of the all access app back to the home screen multiple times and upon that happening the box completely freezes up. The only way to solve this has been to power down the box.
Hope this is resolved soon.

john262

Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:06 pm

I am also having problems with Netflix. I have a Roku 3 - 4200X. When I start streaming some programs on Netflix, it works alright for a minute or two and then the video freezes but the audio continues. If I restart the video it plays up to the same point and then freezes again. It happens on some Netflix videos but not all. My Roku three just updated to the news software version today. I did not notice this problem before the update.

I tried restarting my Roku and that seemed to fix the problem temporarily, but now it has cropped up again. I might try uninstalling the Netflix app then reinstalling but I haven't had a chance to try that yet. I haven't had a chance to check all other channels to see if there is a problem with them as well. I also have a Premier and a Premier + that have upgraded to the new software but I haven't noticed any  problem yet with them. My Roku 1 has not upgraded to the new software.

sunofthepast

Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:36 pm

rockou wrote:
I got the 7.7 update last night. 
Right away I had flickering on the screen and then when trying to go into Netflix I was getting screen drop outs and jagged letters on screen. I saw this problem a few updates back so I knew what to do. I was set on 4:2:0 so I went into the secret menu (home button pressed 5 times, down button press, left button press, up button pressed 3 times) and hit the select button to change to 4:2:2. That solved the problem. Not sure why I am having this issue again. Usually I can have 4:2:0 or 4:2:2 selected with no issues. I tried setting the Roku to 4k only (no HDR) and then tried 4:2:0 again but it still had the same flashing, jagged look so I went back to turning 4k HDR on and have it set at 4:2:2 again.

Other than that I haven't noticed any other problems.

Anyone else have any problems with this update?

rockou
i had those same issues with firmware 7.6. So its the hardware, not firmware, these units have bad hdmi handshaking issues when hdr is enabled. I was ready to return the device, but i hooked up the device straight to the tv and eventually back into receiver, to a different hdmi port. Turned off deep color off/on the tv, it eventually started working great like magic with 4k hdr working.
Its even better now with firmware 7.7 as no more audio chirps. But that 4.2.2 setting is unusable, 4.2.0 seems to work
the issues may have to do with the roku not turning off 60hz refresh rate after playing hdr?

rockou
Topic Author

Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:49 am

sunofthepast wrote:
rockou
i had those same issues with firmware 7.6. So its the hardware, not firmware, these units have bad hdmi handshaking issues when hdr is enabled. I was ready to return the device, but i hooked up the device straight to the tv and eventually back into receiver, to a different hdmi port. Turned off deep color off/on the tv, it eventually started working great like magic with 4k hdr working.
Its even better now with firmware 7.7 as no more audio chirps. But that 4.2.2 setting is unusable, 4.2.0 seems to work
the issues may have to do with the roku not turning off 60hz refresh rate after playing hdr?

I didn't have this issue with the last firmware. I did have the issue a few months back with one of the firmware updates however. I don't believe it's a hardware problem, it only happens to me with certain firmwares. It isn't related to HDR this time. Doesn't matter if I had HDR on or not it was doing it until I unplugged the HDMI cable and waited a bit then plugged it back in.
4:2:2 and 4:2:0 both worked fine on my set up except for this 7.7 release and one other firmware release, all the rest have been good in that area.
Also, The Roku is always playing at 60hz at all times, HDR or not.

I just went and woke up the Roku and it was back to flashing and audio going nuts again, remember I still had it set on 4:2:0. Unplugged the HDMI cable and waited, plugged it in and same thing. Unplugged HDMI cable again and waited a bit longer then plugged it in then it was happy again. I hope they fix this in another firmware release soon. Sucks having to unplug it  like that and replug it in when I want to watch it.

Istandalone

Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:45 am

I'm having the same problem. I have the Roku-3 4200x and since the recent 7.7 update any time I'm using the Netflix app just about all videos will freeze at some point yet the audio will continue to play. I tried to stop the video and then resume, but that doesn't work. You have to exit out of Netflix and then restart and even then sometimes the video will freeze again. The other issue I'm having is when I'm scrolling through the various titles sometimes the screen will lock and after a couple of seconds the Netflix app crashes. 

rockou
Topic Author

Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:02 am

Just tried troubleshooting again. Whenever I shut off the tv and receiver then turn them back on the Roku goes into it's flashing fits and the receiver keeps flashing the HDMI signal and audio decoder goes nuts on it. Tried switching receiver inputs and once in a while that would help but other times it still kept up with the flashing.
I then rebooted the Roku and sometimes it came up ok, sometimes it didn't.
I tried turning on the tv first then the receiver. Didn't help.
Tried turning on receiver first then the tv, didn't help.
Tried turning off hdmi control on tv and receiver, didn't help.
Turned everything off (except Roku of course since it won't turn off) then used my Harmony remote to watch Directv. It turned on the tv, receiver and Directv Genie DVR. I was watching about 30 seconds of tv then all of a sudden it switches by itself to the Roku on the receiver and I'm greeted with the flashing crap. I turn it back to satellite and it stays on it. After a couple minutes I switch to watching Roku and now the screen was not flashing. what the...

It is not only screwing up me watching the Roku it's invading my system and trying to switch to it's flashing screen when I'm trying to watch something else. For the first time since I bought this about a year ago I may have to unhook it from my system. I guess I shouldn't have said recently that it was working ok for me...

RokuDale please report this as an issue

RokuDale
Roku Engineering

Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:12 am

For those with roku-3 display problems, what is your display set to? If it is 720P please try 1080P. If it is 1080 please try 720.

rockou
Topic Author

Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:18 am

I was on 7.7 4094 version and tried going to the secret screen to do an update and it found the older firmware 7.6 4120 
It downloaded that old version and now my HDMI handshaking issue is solved again.

Hopefully Rokudale will report this and get it solved before it makes me go back to 7.7 again.