Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

MikeyC77
Topic Author

Problem accessing Bein Sports Connect on Roku Premiere

Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:45 pm

Hi there,

I recently purchased a Roku Premiere, and am trying to access Bein Sports Connect (I live in Canada). All other channels appear to run smoothly on the Premiere (e.g. Netflix), except each time I try to open the Bein channel, the machine freezes and automatically reboots. By freeze, I don't mean any video feed itself, rather I'm not even able to access the Bein channel home page.

There are no issues with my Bein subscription (I am able to access and use Bein Connect on my tablet and desktop). Uninstalling and reinstalling the channel solves nothing. Roku email tech support advised it was Bein's problem; Bein support said it was Roku's problem.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

Elijah_Baley

Re: Problem accessing Bein Sports Connect on Roku Premiere

Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:17 pm

What you are seeing "could" be related to the latest Roku screwup discussed in this thread: https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=104029

It impacts Plex and many other channels. It appears that the "fail on load" happens on a few as well.

My suggestion is to "request" a downgrade and hope for the best.
Two Roku 3s and a Roku 1 and a Roku Ultra
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:05 pm

Elijah, you're literally blaming the new firmware for every single problem people are having on the boards lately. I'm not saying it's not, but I don't think you have any evidence for it, and you're just doing it to make an annoying point. 

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:15 pm

Everyone should remember the main steps to diagnosing a problem:

1. Reboot your Roku: Unplug for 5 mins; plug it back in;
  2. Remove the channel, reboot the Roku as in step 1; re-add the channel;
  3. Contact the developer directly to see if it's a known issue ... they may already be working on a fix;

If those three steps fail, then I don't mind an email for a downgrade at this time as a one-off temp-solution.  If we fix the problem associated with the Plex/Slacker/etc and it doesn't fix a specific channel's issue after the downgrade option has ended, then let me know and we'll go forward from there.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

Steady Teddy

Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:06 am

There's nothing wrong with the Roku in this case regarding the beIN Connect app. It's all on beIN. Their app is far and away the most unstable sports app I've ever used, and I watch a lot of sports. The crashing/freezing is happening for me on both the Roku3 & Roku Ultra.

I've been in contact with beIN Tech support but seriously, I'm not sure if that will get anywhere as their support department might be on a lower level than even Comcrap.

In the meantime, I have been able to repeat the crashing/freezing and have found a workaround:
You have to log into the beIN web site with your PC and got to your account/devices. DELETE ALL of your devices listed. Log out of the beIN web site, go back to the Roku and open the beIN connect app and you should be able to watch beIN programming. Unfortunately, you MUST repeat this process EVERY time you want to use the beIN app on the Roku. I've sent a detailed email to beIN support describing this issue but I'm not holding my breath waiting for a fix.

This worked for me. 

Good luck!

MikeyC77
Topic Author

Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:09 pm

Steady Teddy wrote:
There's nothing wrong with the Roku in this case regarding the beIN Connect app. It's all on beIN. Their app is far and away the most unstable sports app I've ever used, and I watch a lot of sports. The crashing/freezing is happening for me on both the Roku3 & Roku Ultra.

I've been in contact with beIN Tech support but seriously, I'm not sure if that will get anywhere as their support department might be on a lower level than even Comcrap.

In the meantime, I have been able to repeat the crashing/freezing and have found a workaround:
You have to log into the beIN web site with your PC and got to your account/devices. DELETE ALL of your devices listed. Log out of the beIN web site, go back to the Roku and open the beIN connect app and you should be able to watch beIN programming. Unfortunately, you MUST repeat this process EVERY time you want to use the beIN app on the Roku. I've sent a detailed email to beIN support describing this issue but I'm not holding my breath waiting for a fix.

This worked for me. 

Good luck!

Thank you for the reply.  Downgrading to 7.6 worked for me as of Thursday evening.

Steady Teddy

Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:24 am

I received this email from beIN yesterday:

"We already escalated this issue to the relevant department in order for you to have a prompt resolution. We will update you as soon as we get an answer.

We appreciate your patience and understanding."

MikeyC77
Topic Author

Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:59 am

For some reason, my Premiere took it upon itself to re-upgrade to 7.7 a week or so after my initial downgrade to 7.6.

I only noticed this because the Roku froze when trying to access the beIN channel.  Kindly advise as to why I was reverted back to 7.7.

One other thing... I tried removing and reinstalling the beIN channel.  I noticed that in the channel store, the version is listed as version 1.1 with a release date of July 13, 2017.  After installing the channel, I notice that the version on my system reads as version 1.0, build 11 or 12 or something.  Clicking on system update in settings does nothing to upgrade my channel version to the supposed latest one.

Please let me know where I can find a nice toupee, because I'm starting to pull my hair out.