Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

jm_maclaren
Topic Author

Tue May 20, 2008 4:12 am

good.

You may notice the start of the comm skip isn't perfect. Sadly, the function to flush the decoders buffers through the decoder was never implemented. If one skips forward when you reach the start of the commercial break (when filling the buffers) then you lose ~1-2 secs of play as the buffers are refilled from myhe enw point without playing the frames between where the decoder realky is and the last buffer fill at the comm break start.

I rigged it by once the buffer being filled reached the skip point I set a flag that would allow the decoder to continue to fill a fixed number of buffers (estimated by the average bit rate) and then skip. If anyone can think of a more accurate solution please let me know.

Thanks

ecronin

Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:58 pm

Just reconnected the roku for the first time since the new year, the progress in mythroku is impressive!

One thing I'm noticing (both in mythroku and the UPnP browser) is that after enabling the 'delete moves recordings to a Deleted group and sets to autoexpire' option that was added in 0.21, deleted programs show up alongside current ones.

Any chance you could add a group filter command line flag, or better (for me :-)) just hide recordings in the deleted group by default?

jm_maclaren
Topic Author

Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:38 pm

I'll take a look this weekend.

jm_maclaren
Topic Author

0.82m

Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:11 am

0.82m does not display programs in the LiveTv or new Deleted program groups.
Enjoy
James

300zx

Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:10 am

WOW, I gotta say that mythroku just gets better and better. The FF and REW functions really work and are very handy. The progress bar is fantastic.

I also stumbled upon a shortcut today that I like. I used to play a recording by pressing SELECT and then SELECT again when it asks "Play episode, Delete episode, Clear bookmarks", etc. I didn't realize that pressing PLAY (instead of SELECT) simply plays the highlighted recording, which is what I should have been doing all this time. That is so much better :)

Big THANKS James. My family uses your code everyday and it is always a great experience!

Donn

300zx

Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:36 am

Hi James,
I saw one of your posts saying that you're open to considering new features. Here's one.

My family could use a "playlist" feature. Basically, you'd select a few shows (less than 5) that you want to watch and then play them all back-to-back.

This would be handy for 30 min shows. You wouldnt have to go back to the menus. I know we're so lazy! :)

Anyway, just something I thought of recently. mythroku as it is, is still phenomenal. Thank you

Donn

jm_maclaren
Topic Author

0.82n

Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:36 pm

I saw a seg fault when watching livetv on my hdhomerun. 0.82n fixes that. Also made some small adjustments to the livetv channel/prog info browsing. i.e. when you press N or S after info has been pressed.

Coldspring

Thanks for all the work

Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:31 am

Jim

We have two HD1000 and my family uses this application every day. I had not had the time to up date the system to the newest version for quite some time. Yesterday I did and I want to say WoW what great work.

I do have one question. On live TV channel changing I can no longer see the channel number just the station call letter. Anyway to see the channel number as well?

Thanks again

Chris

jm_maclaren
Topic Author

Re: Thanks for all the work

Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:57 am

Coldspring wrote:
Jim

We have two HD1000 and my family uses this application every day. I had not had the time to up date the system to the newest version for quite some time. Yesterday I did and I want to say WoW what great work.

I do have one question. On live TV channel changing I can no longer see the channel number just the station call letter. Anyway to see the channel number as well?

Thanks again

Chris

Glad you are enjoying mythroku. The issue is some data isn't filled in when you browse in livetv (different calls of the backend are made). I have hacked it, and am testing a bit, Long term I need to poke into the libraries that query the backend for program info to see if it is a bug there or something that the backend does and so a hack is always needed. I will probably post an update later on this evening.

James

PS - i think it must be what the backend replies, so the hack I have implemented is the best I can do w/o coding in the backend which I don;t want to do. You need to ensure that the callsign field is complete. This can be checked on the tv settings page of mythweb or for the brave through mysql queries of the channel table.

I will update and post a patched executable tonight.

jm_maclaren
Topic Author

Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:18 pm

0..82o puts channel number & channel name, and title on live tv osd as well as adding title back to osd for recording playback.
Enjoy.
James

Coldspring

A plan to Upgrade the remote

Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:43 am

Jim

Thanks I will give 82o it a try tonight.

Two more questions.

1) Is it still possible to schedule upcoming recordings? I have pushed all the buttons while at the menu screen but have not been able to get the scheduler to come up.

2) Can the Mythroku application take in more remote commands than is available from the remote control that comes with the HD1000?

Here is my thinking. We are a relativity small community and if the Mythroku application can take in more remote commands, than I say we as a community select a third party remote that has more buttons so that we can add features like numeric channel entry.

To control my HD1000, I use a programmable remote made by Universal, model number URC-R6. I am concerned that eventually my original roku remote will wear out, so I bought two of the URC-R6's at Walmart for 20 bucks each and then used the learning feature to program in the roku remote keys because the roku does not appear on the auto programing list.

This leaves me with a large remote with lots of unused buttons, the numeric key pad in particular.

If you select a remote that is fairly standard so that any one in the mythroku community can buy a universal remote that has your selection as part of the auto program list we could have all kinds of extra buttons available to us for extra features.

All my other AV devices besides the HD1000 do appear on the auto programing list so adding my other devices to the URC-R6 was a snap. The great thing about the URC-R6 is that it has macro buttons and command pass through features so I can control all my devices in a integrated manor without switching between the differnt remote types. So I can do things like turn on my home theater system with one button, change the volume, on my stereo while controling the Roku, etc.

Let me know what you think and I would love to hear what others in the community think about this idea.

Chris

jm_maclaren
Topic Author

Re: A plan to Upgrade the remote

Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:24 am

Jim

Thanks I will give 82o it a try tonight.

Two more questions.

1) Is it still possible to schedule upcoming recordings? I have pushed all the buttons while at the menu screen but have not been able to get the scheduler to come up.
yes, press rotate from the opening window then you can use the search feature and schedule that way like mythweb, or
press menu for the guide to come up and select a program to record. For reasons I can't fathom the guide can be slow the 1st time (~10s).

If these don;t work it would seem to be a database connection problem. One way to see if the database connection is ok is to FF or REW or commskip. If you have all of the icons you should get a goofy db icon when you start a recording.

2) Can the Mythroku application take in more remote commands than is available from the remote control that comes with the HD1000?
Coldspring wrote:
yes, I believe so if you go here http://www.permanence.com/roku/CascadeReference/index.html then
click on file, members all, then look at all of the CK_ stuff those are codes that are passed to apps when a remote key is pressed. For example I check against CK_PLAYPAUSE to pause or resume the decoder. I don't know if all of those keys can be read from a universal remote, but I could add a line of debug so that if you ran the code from the command line it would write out what it received. Sometimes there are features in the sdk documentation that were never implemented so I cannot be sure what is available until it is tested.

Here is my thinking. We are a relativity small community and if the Mythroku application can take in more remote commands, than I say we as a community select a third party remote that has more buttons so that we can add features like numeric channel entry.

To control my HD1000, I use a programmable remote made by Universal, model number URC-R6. I am concerned that eventually my original roku remote will wear out, so I bought two of the URC-R6's at Walmart for 20 bucks each and then used the learning feature to program in the roku remote keys because the roku does not appear on the auto programing list.

This leaves me with a large remote with lots of unused buttons, the numeric key pad in particular.

how can you program the number keys if the roku doesnt have them to learn from? I have a logitech universal remote that new the roku as one of its database or remotes, I will check tonight if it knows any other keys.
I have been tinkering with my myth setup and am testing a green backend via empiaa rather than my old pentium IV which ate power and then using my rokus as the backends.

If you select a remote that is fairly standard so that any one in the mythroku community can buy a universal remote that has your selection as part of the auto program list we could have all kinds of extra buttons available to us for extra features.

All my other AV devices besides the HD1000 do appear on the auto programing list so adding my other devices to the URC-R6 was a snap. The great thing about the URC-R6 is that it has macro buttons and command pass through features so I can control all my devices in a integrated manor without switching between the differnt remote types. So I can do things like turn on my home theater system with one button, change the volume, on my stereo while controling the Roku, etc.

Let me know what you think and I would love to hear what others in the community think about this idea.

Chris

Coldspring

Replacement Remote.

Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:07 am

Jim

Thanks for the feed back. I am not a programmer so some of this is beyond me, but I do have an engineering background. I do get a general sense of the information in the Cascade Libs.

Tell me if I am wrong but it looks like you can define all ascii characters and then some for the HD1000. Is that right?

If this is true what is to stop you from programing the HD1000 to use a completely different remote control from another device. Say one from a cable box or an TV/DVD combination set so that you general have the type of remote control buttons you want.

You would have to choose a remote device that none of the HD1000 community owns so that is does not interfere with equipment they own.

I went into my URC-R6 manual and looked up TV/DVD combination and selected an AKAI code, which is 281, assuming no one in the community owns an AKAI combination TV/DVD. The point is you could select any remote you wanted as long as it was fairly common to Universal remotes.

If you can mapped the keys from an AKAI TV/DVD combination remote to control the HD1000, you would have a whole set of additional buttons to add new features to the HD1000. Others in the community could buy a universal remote and use the auto program code 281 and have a remove to control the HD1000 with extended features.

If you wanted to build a system that can be operated by the current HD1000 remote, you would have to get a learning remote, auto program it for the AKAI TV/DVD emulation and then program specific keys with the learning feature to emulate the HD1000 remote.

Then you would have a system that still uses the HD1000 remote with limited features and the AKAI TV/DVD remote with extended features.

Would this work?

Chris

jm_maclaren
Topic Author

Re: Replacement Remote.

Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:21 pm

Coldspring wrote:
Jim

Thanks for the feed back. I am not a programmer so some of this is beyond me, but I do have an engineering background. I do get a general sense of the information in the Cascade Libs.

Tell me if I am wrong but it looks like you can define all ascii characters and then some for the HD1000. Is that right?

If this is true what is to stop you from programing the HD1000 to use a completely different remote control from another device. Say one from a cable box or an TV/DVD combination set so that you general have the type of remote control buttons you want.

You would have to choose a remote device that none of the HD1000 community owns so that is does not interfere with equipment they own.

I went into my URC-R6 manual and looked up TV/DVD combination and selected an AKAI code, which is 281, assuming no one in the community owns an AKAI combination TV/DVD. The point is you could select any remote you wanted as long as it was fairly common to Universal remotes.

If you can mapped the keys from an AKAI TV/DVD combination remote to control the HD1000, you would have a whole set of additional buttons to add new features to the HD1000. Others in the community could buy a universal remote and use the auto program code 281 and have a remove to control the HD1000 with extended features.

If you wanted to build a system that can be operated by the current HD1000 remote, you would have to get a learning remote, auto program it for the AKAI TV/DVD emulation and then program specific keys with the learning feature to emulate the HD1000 remote.

Then you would have a system that still uses the HD1000 remote with limited features and the AKAI TV/DVD remote with extended features.

Would this work?

Chris

I think it depends on the IR receiver (what protocol it uses) and then which received ir pulses are processed by the roku's kernel module and translated into an integer code that is return by the cascade routines like onkey_down. As you see in the header files lots of possible button pushes are defined. When I ws debugging mythroku I would print the number that the onkey_down got to the screen - this for pauseplay for example would be equal to the variable CK_PAUSEPLAY.

If you press other remote buttons I am not sure what you'll get. For example I have a PVR350. If I press my motorola cable remote's buttons I see nothing with irw, presumably its the wrong protocol. I home build serial port receiver shows codes for that remote and many others.

Not sure if this is clear, but the bottom line is to press buttons and see if the roku "sees" them and feeds a code to the cascade routines that respond to remote control button presses.

I have a vague feeling that only 3 or so new user buttons are known.

Does this help http://www.roku.com/downloads/Developer ... IRSpec.pdf
James

jm_maclaren
Topic Author

Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:13 pm

I have been working on the scheduling page. I can now display the tuner which connects to the listing. This helps me record since I prefer hd when possible and can see if I am recording from qam, ota, or firewire (which is flaky). I will test some then upload the code.

I will continue to develop/take suggestions. I feel like I am going backwards. I retired my 3GHz PIV and use a C3 via epia as my backend. The cpu only uses 11Watts so my mythtv carbon footprint is smaller!

I use my rokus exclusively now as my frontends. I wish they would playback H.264 but they are still pretty good.

The only mythroku issue I face is sometimes deleting shows hangs mythroku.