Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

scottypie1234
Topic Author

Where is Advanced Video Settings?

Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:07 am

I have a 2017 TCL Roku TV. 4k/HDR. It recently updated to 8.0.0.4132.

Under menu for Advanced System Settings, I have Factory Reset, Network Connection Reset, Devoce Connect and External Control.

Where are AVS, which I need to access to set detection for native video refresh rates?

Since the update, I get noticeable video pauses and stuttering on several channels where that never was a problem before. I would like to adjust the video frame rate, as was promised with 8.0 on a 4k TV.

What's up?

jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Where is Advanced Video Settings?

Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:54 am

This is why I decided against a 4k Roku TV, and got the 1080p instead.. Too much of an investment for a mediocre TV experience..
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

scottypie1234
Topic Author

Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:09 am

jeffrok wrote:
This is why I decided against a 4k Roku TV, and got the 1080p instead.. Too much of an investment for a mediocre TV experience..

Thanks for your help. Is this what makes you so valuable to the community?

Anyone have a real answer?

MrDifficult

Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:18 pm

Ohhh. . . you don't get that.  Because everything is in house, you don't get as many options.  I like upgrading occasionally, that's why I didn't go the Roku TV option.  This is another good reason.  

jeffrok

Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:47 pm

scottypie1234 wrote:
jeffrok wrote:

Thanks for your help. Is this what makes you so valuable to the community?

Anyone have a real answer?

Sheesh, really? I was making conversation.. No need to get all snarky about it.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.

Elijah_Baley

Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:06 pm

jeffrok wrote:
Sheesh, really? I was making conversation.. No need to get all snarky about it.

But this is the internet and a good level of snark is almost a requirement.
BTW: I agree with you about the Roku TVs or any other "smart" TVs in general. There is just too much in one device. 
Of course sometimes the "smart" TVs are the cheapest per feature available. When considering a new TV I just do not consider any "smart" features at all.
Given the current pricing scheme my next TV will probably be a "smart" TV. I'll just use it like a "dumb" monitor.
As far as the OP's question goes I think that the menus are simply missing parts of what should be there. Where the final fault lies is anybodies guess. There are too many cooks in the kitchen and not enough tasters.
Last edited by Elijah_Baley on Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

Crow550

Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:06 pm

Either Roku hasn't rolled it out yet or your TV can't handle native 24hz?

Also the Roku app has additional advanced video settings but I don't think that setting is there....

scottypie1234
Topic Author

Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:28 pm

If you want conversation or want to give your opinion on Roku TV, please take it elsewhere. I came here looking for a solution to a problem, not worthless conversation or opinion from valued community members.

ubrokeit

Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:36 pm

i have a TCL 43s405.
According to Rtings, it handles 24p sources without judder.

The roku app does not provide any other extra settings besides advanced color settings.

I have blocked the roku servers on my router, so I don't have to download any updates until you guinea pigs test them

Either reset your TV, or turn off the advanced picture settings. Maybe that will get rid of the stutter. Who knows.
Seems like no one can ever get a direct answer from Roku staff here.

jeffrok

Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:49 pm

scottypie1234 wrote:
If you want conversation or want to give your opinion on Roku TV, please take it elsewhere. I came here looking for a solution to a problem, not worthless conversation or opinion from valued community members.

Very, very, very hostile. Do you talk to everyone this way? Like, in real life? You might want to see a therapist.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.

scottypie1234
Topic Author

Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:33 pm

ubrokeit wrote:
i have a TCL 43s405.

The roku app does not provide any other extra settings besides advanced color settings.

I have blocked the roku servers on my router, so I don't have to download any updates until you guinea pigs test them

Either reset your TV, or turn off the advanced picture settings. Maybe that will get rid of the stutter. Who knows.

Please read the question in the original post. I CANNOT FIND ADVANCED PICTURE SETTINGS where Roku support page says it should be. That is my question: Where is it?

atc98092

Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:44 am

Unfortunately, I believe you've heard the answer. It doesn't appear that the Roku TVs will have the same menu options as the stand-alone players. My TV doesn't have 8.0 yet, so can't speak from experience, only what I've seen here from other TV owners.
When I bought my TV, I didn't really want a Roku version, as I have an Ultra to connect to it. But it was the best price I could get on a 40+" 4K TV, so I went with it. I would like to see the auto-refresh rate for it, as I've seen it work nicely with my Ultra. But there's no word from Roku if the TVs will receive it or not.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

ubrokeit

Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:00 pm

scottypie1234 wrote:
ubrokeit wrote:
i have a TCL 43s405.

Please read the question in the original post. I CANNOT FIND ADVANCED PICTURE SETTINGS where Roku support page says it should be. That is my question: Where is it?

Sorry. There is no Advanced VIDEO settings.
There is an Advanced PICTURE settings, simply by pressing the * button.
However, the features you are looking for are not included there.

Sorry i just wasted another 1 minute of your time.

MrDifficult

Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:53 pm

scottypie1234 wrote:

Then you came to the wrong place.  Directly email Roku and see where it gets you.

ifoundtheanswer1

Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:37 am

Hey man, I'm not sure if you're still looking for the answer to this problem, but for you or anyone else who stumbles across this thread, there are some advanced video settings if you hit the settings button (the asterisk on a roku remote) while you are playing a video. I was able to set videos to play in native framerates by turning off motion smoothing. Hope that helps!