Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

ClassyLassie
Topic Author

Headphones

Thu May 17, 2018 5:57 am

I am looking at buying a roku premier +. I need a player that will play audio through the headphones and the tv at the same time. One listener is hard of hearing and the other listener is not. On the roku I presently have if you plug in the earphones it cuts out the tv sound. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Headphones

Thu May 17, 2018 6:11 am

I’m not able to address the question you asked, but it may be worth considering that the Premiere+ is a discontinued item. Don’t pay full price if you go with that instead of a Roku Ultra (model 4660).
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

twiceover

Thu May 17, 2018 6:17 am

ClassyLassie wrote:
I am looking at buying a roku premier +. I need a player that will play audio through the headphones and the tv at the same time. One listener is hard of hearing and the other listener is not. On the roku I presently have if you plug in the earphones it cuts out the tv sound. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

They changed the firmware so you can no longer use both at the same time.  You would need to find a solution external to your media device to handle what you want to do.

Basil

Thu May 17, 2018 6:35 am

I’ve not tried this, nor am I in a position to try this until Saturday, but what about the iOS or Android app? Doesn’t the Roku app allow a user to listen via the phone/tablet/iPod without impacting the TV? Has anyone reading this ever tried it? Or willing to give it a shot for OP?
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

jeffrok

Thu May 17, 2018 8:20 am

Best solution might be to use the TV's headphone jack with a stereo splitter.. hook up the wired or wireless headphones to one side, and some good powered stereo speakers to the other side.. disable the TV's speakers.. you could use this full time for all viewing.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

T_J

Thu May 17, 2018 10:04 am

I have a Sony TV, Premiere+, component Pioneer Stereo, Sony wireless headphones, headphone to RCA cable, and 2 RCA splitters (about 1-inch long each). 
* Connected Pioneer stereo & Sony headphones to RCA splitters. 
* Selected Headphone in the Sony TV AV Setup (instead of Audio Out), TV speakers OFF; Can adjust headphone & Pioneer stereo volume independently. Both sounded great. 
* Selected Audio Out in the Sony TV AV setup (instead of headphones), TV speakers ON, sounds great on the Pioneer Stereo, but not good on the headphones.

** New speakers & headphones have several methods of connection, Bluetooth, 3.5mm, maybe RCA; need to buy compatible items. 
** Cheaper cables/splitters won't sound good. (I had a cheaper splitter cable once, sounded bad)
** My Sony wired headphones don't have a volume adjustment, while my wireless Sony headphones do have a volume adjustment.