Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Heyitsrick
Topic Author

XBox 1 S and X To Get Dolby Vision HDR Via Firmware Update

Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:51 am

In another example that Dolby Vision can be implemented via software, it's coming to Xbox 1 S and X models (Netlfix only, to start).  

Link:  Dolby Vision / Xbox 1

More info on Dolby Vision via software/firmware:

Until CES 2017, it was widely assumed that Dolby Vision hardware (screens and Ultra HD Blu-ray players) needed to carry a dedicated chip. However, it is now possible to add Dolby Vision support via a firmware update to devices with sufficiently powerful processors.

Reference: https://www.whathifi.com/advice/dolby-vision-hdr-everything-you-need-to-know

I guess it all comes down to the licensing fee.

rockou

Re: XBox 1 S and X To Get Dolby Vision HDR Via Firmware Update

Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:13 am

Cool! I don't have a Dolby Vision tv but that is good news.
4K HDR TV: Samsung UN60KS8000
4K HDR Receiver: Yamaha RX-V381
4K HDR blu ray: Samsung UBD-K8500
4K HDR streamer: Roku Ultra (2016 model)
4K HDR Gaming: Xbox One X
4K HDR DVR: Directv Genie HS17-500 w/ C61K mini client
Cables: Amazon Basics 18Gbps HDMI

atc98092

Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:17 am

Those boxes have far more processing power than any Roku, so we have no idea if it is possible in a Roku via software. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

StreamerUserDude

Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:00 am

Unfortunately its Insider Preview Program only at this point, rolling out over several weeks, and only for NF.
Regardless, bodes well for an October timeframe general release, hopefully with system-wide app support.

Clearly though, the support for "Australian English" is the most important change.......

Heyitsrick
Topic Author

Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:13 am

atc98092 wrote:
Those boxes have far more processing power than any Roku, so we have no idea if it is possible in a Roku via software. 

Here's a box from 2016 with the same ARM Cortex 53 Quad-Core processor as Ultra that says it supports Dolby Vision:
https://www.cnx-software.com/2016/03/30/himedia-q10-pro-android-tv-box-supports-4k-hdr-h-265-vp9-video-playback-comes-with-a-3-5-sata-hdd-bay/

I'm not saying this is apples to apples, but it's interesting.

atc98092

Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:01 am

Yes, that is interesting. Perhaps it will be possible after all. Of course, there's still the cost of licensing DV. Since they won't even license Dolby and DTS for lossless bitstream passthrough, I'm uncertain they'll ever spring for a DV license. 

EDIT: just noticed that the article you linked is two years old. When I looked for one online, I found the same box on Amazon. It makes no mention of DV support there, so I'm wondering if it wasn't capable of DV in software. It does support MPEG2 video, and lossless audio passthrough, but I don't think any of these Android boxes have an Amazon app, and that's a non-starter for me. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

JohnBoy1

Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:15 pm

Roku please at least make Dolby Vision available to the Ultra or have it in your newest boxes coming....dolby vision is finally starting to ramp up across many devices and again roku is playing catch up.

AndyCalling

Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:22 am

atc98092 wrote:
Yes, that is interesting. Perhaps it will be possible after all. Of course, there's still the cost of licensing DV. Since they won't even license Dolby and DTS for lossless bitstream passthrough, I'm uncertain they'll ever spring for a DV license.

Slightly off topic, but they do not need to pay any licence fee for Dolby or DTS passthrough. They only need a licence if the stick/box is to decode or encode any of those formats. If passing through, they need licence no decoder at all. All they need do is send through the raw audio bitstream. The decoding is done in the amp where the licence fee has to be paid by that company (and ultimately the end user). Of course, if they are decoding then putting out 5.1 PCM or downmixing Dolby+ to Dolby Digital or something then they do need a licence or two, but not for passthrough.

atc98092

Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:47 am

AndyCalling wrote:
atc98092 wrote:

Slightly off topic, but they do not need to pay any licence fee for Dolby or DTS passthrough. They only need a licence if the stick/box is to decode or encode any of those formats. If passing through, they need licence no decoder at all. All they need do is send through the raw audio bitstream. The decoding is done in the amp where the licence fee has to be paid by that company (and ultimately the end user). Of course, if they are decoding then putting out 5.1 PCM or downmixing Dolby+ to Dolby Digital or something then they do need a licence or two, but not for passthrough.

I've never been able to confirm that. But it is suggested that there is still a fee even for passthrough. I would agree that it sounds silly to require a license to simply pass the bitstream through, but there doesn't seem to be any other explanation why so few players will do so. My Sony BD player in the past would passthrough both DTS/MA and Dolby TrueHD. My latest model only passes DTS/MA, and reports unsupported audio for a TrueHD track. And this player of course has TrueHD support for playing an actual disc. So there's an argument that there's a separate license for streaming, even for passthrough.
Dan

beq

Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:06 pm

Off-topic, but it's interesting that our TCL Roku TV's have been able to output the latest Apple TV in 4K Dolby Vision 60Hz (the ATV runs in this fixed mode even on the home screen).  But our LG TV that also supports Dolby Vision can only run the Apple TV in either 4K HDR10, or 1080p Dolby Vision.  Does any of you with a recent LG TV have any issues displaying HDMI sources in 4K Dolby Vision 60Hz?  I haven't tested the Xbox yet.

AndyCalling

Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:28 am

atc98092 wrote:
AndyCalling wrote:
atc98092 wrote:

I've never been able to confirm that. But it is suggested that there is still a fee even for passthrough. I would agree that it sounds silly to require a license to simply pass the bitstream through, but there doesn't seem to be any other explanation why so few players will do so. My Sony BD player in the past would passthrough both DTS/MA and Dolby TrueHD. My latest model only passes DTS/MA, and reports unsupported audio for a TrueHD track. And this player of course has TrueHD support for playing an actual disc. So there's an argument that there's a separate license for streaming, even for passthrough.

OK, so let me ask you this, exactly what code would they be licencing to allow passthrough? No encoder, no decoder... what could it possibly be? I could write them a routine to pass the bitstream through. No copyright code to licence at all. There can only be a licence fee if something specific is being licenced, such as a bit of code.

atc98092

Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:10 am

No idea. All I can provide is the information that I have observed. Passthrough going away on Blu Ray players. Sony isn't the only one. Samsung also is dropping passthrough support for streamed media. What other reason explains it? I agree that in theory there shouldn't be. But if there's no license fee, why is the feature going away on players that used to support it, and Roku won't offer it at all? 
Dan