Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

znutar
Topic Author

Need help setting up a share

Sun May 06, 2007 1:18 am

OK, I'm baffled. The WinXPSharing.pdf makes the process seem so simple, and yet it isn't. Perhaps that's all it takes to configure a folder to be shared, but how do you get it to be seen from the Roku PB?

I've gone to Network Shares and I seem to have three options:

Manually Configure a Share (which also seems to suggest a Search feature that can be "thorough" "quick" or "none" though I haven't found a way to actually perform a search )

Find New Shares

Clear and Rescan

I've found that my C: drive has a share name of "C$" and I've clicked the "Share this folder" button.

Let's try to find it, shall we?

From the Manually Configure a Share button it asks for a computer. My full computer name is 25 characters long and I can't seem to enter all of them. I'm unwilling to change the computer name since this is my work laptop and I bet I'll never be able to see my work network if I change that. I suspect that I've hit a road block because the computer name is too long. Yes?
But I note that my computer has a "name" that is shorter than the full computer name if I go to Computer Name Change under the Computer Name tab on the System Properties window. Is this what I should be using instead of the full computer name? Let's try. OK, now for the "share" window I've entered "C$". For the flower of it, I've told it to always use IP 0.0.0.0 though I have no reason to think this will help. Now I've told it to Add. I now find myself back at the prior menu and have selected //name.C$ and told it to Save. Here's the "Share Access Problem" tellling me that it can't resolve IP address. FWIW, I got to the same Can't resolve IP address message without checking the "Always use IP 0.0.0.0"

OK, let's try to "Find New Shares." After waiting, I don't see that anything has changed.

OK, let's try to Clear and Rescan. Despite the risk of loosing all saved accounts, the list of possible shares I've created is still there.

"It's easy to set up your PB HD1000 to access your computer's photos..."

Yeah, right.

Help me Mr. Wizard.

-Znutar

soiaf

Sun May 06, 2007 2:01 pm

What version firmware are you running on your PhotoBridge? Networking support changed between the original installed firmware and the beta 2 firmwares.

znutar
Topic Author

Need help setting up a share

Sun May 06, 2007 10:37 pm

I'm running 1.5 something. Why should it matter? The insructions were written for this version of software. This version of software is supposed to support sharing, right? If you really think it's going to make a difference I'll download the new 2.0 beta, but it will be yet another layer of hassle as I don't have the necessary media to transfer from my laptop to the PB. But before I go do all of that, please explain to me why it doesn't work with the v1.5.

Thanks.

-Znutar

soiaf

Mon May 07, 2007 1:30 pm

Well, I can only speak for myself, but I had problems trying to access shares with the default 1.5 firmware (and had read all the online guides), but when I installed the beta 2 firmwares I had much better success and was able to find/use all my shares. I was trying against a number of different computers/shares.
So beta 2 definitely improved things for me (and one of the benefits that beta 2 added was meant to be improved networking support).

In terms of any additional checks/changes you can do with your current setup, make sure that it isn't a firewall causing a problem, you might consider disabling any firewalls you might have running and see if that helps at all.

dgburns

Re: Need help setting up a share

Mon May 07, 2007 4:51 pm

znutar wrote:
Why should it matter?

The device >almost< works as advertised with 2.0, not even CLOSE with 1.5. If all you want to do is play picture slideshows, sure. ANything else (try reading the 3rd Party Forum), upgrade man!
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)
Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV
Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's
PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext
M1000 (upstairs)
HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)
Visco 32" LCD
AR 2.1 audio system
PS/2

znutar
Topic Author

Help setting up a share

Mon May 07, 2007 10:23 pm

OK, you folks talked me into it, and I've upgraded to 2.0. So, now I'm faced with an interface that looks just the same.

What now? I've tried to scan, but not unsurprisingly the PB didn't find anything. Somebody please step me through the process of getting the PB to recognize any drive or folder on my laptop as a media device.

As before, the C drive has a share name of C$. I'm hung up on whether my computer's name is the 25 characters of the "full name" or the shorter "name" or does it matter.

As always, thanks to anyone willing to render assistance.

-Znutar

dgburns

Tue May 08, 2007 6:29 am

That share name of C$ is an administrative share.
Create a new PUBLIC share of the directory where you have your media files stored. Assign a username and password if you desire. Turn off your Windows firewall (or whatever product you use) in case that is interfering. Disconnect your outside world connection (DSL, cable, whatever). Try scanning for shares then. Not sure what's wrong on your end, all three of my computers show up when I do this.
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)

Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV

Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's

PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext

M1000 (upstairs)

HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)

Visco 32" LCD

AR 2.1 audio system

PS/2

znutar
Topic Author

Help setting up a share

Wed May 09, 2007 11:54 pm

You noted that C$ is an administrative share. What's the significance of that?

Regardless, I went to My Documents and configured it for sharing. You noted specifically "PUBLIC" sharing, though I don't see any flavors of sharing to select from. Clicking on the "permissions" button brings up a page that says "Everyone" has permission. I tried to give My Documents a name, but it seems to already be named My Documents, so I left it as is. I've not set a password.

Windows firewall is off. If I have any other firewalls, I'm unaware, but they very well might exist. Any way to know from, say, the control panel? I admit I didn't follow your instructions to the point of disconnecting the DSL. That's like "remove the breathing tube." But really, why should that matter? Perhaps I'll try that later.

Bottom line, the PB doesn't see My Documents on my laptop.

I have a VPN connection that's open. Would that tend to interfere?

na9d

Thu May 10, 2007 8:55 pm

Your C$ share is not a publicly accessible share. You need to creat a new share of the same drive and call it something else. Then you can access it. This is the number one mistake people make when setting up sharing in Windows. The shares with "$" are not accessible. I know it's confusing. Had the same problem myself way back when...
Roku Soundbridge M2000
Roku Soundbridge M1000
Roku Photobridge HD1000 RevB
Roku Photobridge HD1000 RevA
3 ReplayTVs
4 Slingboxes (Classic and Pro, AV and Solo)
Firefly Media Server and SlimServer Running on a MacPro
2 Vudu VOD Players

znutar
Topic Author

Help setting up a share

Thu May 10, 2007 11:52 pm

na9d,

I went back to the C: drive, selected the New Share button, and gave the new share the name "yada." A little icon appeared next to the C: drive in Windows Explorer. PB still doesn't find it. And this time I unplugged the DSL cable, as a prior person suggested.

I wonder about the wireless bridge, yet all of the lights are solid green and it worked when it was plugged into my laptop.

Anyone else have any thoughts? Should my laptop be able to see the PB?

-Znutar

soiaf

Thu May 10, 2007 11:59 pm

Just to confirm one thing - Is your PhotoBridge getting an IP address ok?

znutar
Topic Author

Help setting up a share

Fri May 11, 2007 12:58 am

Soiaf,

How would I know if it's getting an IP address? What would that be an IP address of?

Thanks.

-Znutar

na9d

Re: Help setting up a share

Fri May 11, 2007 5:47 am

znutar wrote:
Soiaf,

How would I know if it's getting an IP address? What would that be an IP address of?

Thanks.

-Znutar

You go into your "built-in" store and run setup. You should immediately see the IP address right next to the "software version" at the top of the screen.
Roku Soundbridge M2000

Roku Soundbridge M1000

Roku Photobridge HD1000 RevB

Roku Photobridge HD1000 RevA

3 ReplayTVs

4 Slingboxes (Classic and Pro, AV and Solo)

Firefly Media Server and SlimServer Running on a MacPro

2 Vudu VOD Players

znutar
Topic Author

Help setting up a share

Fri May 11, 2007 7:44 am

Next to the software version it says <none>.

What's that mean for me?

soiaf

Fri May 11, 2007 8:16 am

That means you're not getting an IP address - and as a result your PhotoBridge has no networking capabilities and can't see your computer (and so can't see your shares!).
So first we have to get this working.
How is your PhotoBridge connected to the network? Is it using a wired or a wireless connection? What type/brand of router do you have?