Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

newlinux
Topic Author

Questions about mythroku

Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:11 am

Hello,

I've done some searches and am not quite sure of the answers so I'll ask here. I don't have an HD 1000 yet, but I am planning on getting one. Thanks in advance:

1. I am running myth .20.2 (it is protocol 31) from the ubuntu repos. This compatible with latest version of mythroku?

2. I've looked, but haven't found definitive instructions on installing mythroku or it's features, so...
a. Do I just download the mythroku binary and mythroku.roku, put it in a SAMBA share and browse to the mythroku.roku on the HD 1000? Then what happens? Does it "install" or is this how I launch the app each time? Are there more files that I need?
b. What major features from the regular frontend is it missing? as long as it can do HD recordings I'll be happy.
c. How stable is this? Do people usually boot it up at use, or leave it running?

Thanks, and sorry if these questions have already been answered.

jm_maclaren

Re: Questions about mythroku

Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:14 pm

newlinux wrote:
Hello,

I've done some searches and am not quite sure of the answers so I'll ask here. I don't have an HD 1000 yet, but I am planning on getting one. Thanks in advance:

1. I am running myth .20.2 (it is protocol 31) from the ubuntu repos. This compatible with latest version of mythroku?

yes, I am running the svn trunk right now.

2. I've looked, but haven't found definitive instructions on installing mythroku or it's features, so...
a. Do I just download the mythroku binary and mythroku.roku, put it in a SAMBA share and browse to the mythroku.roku on the HD 1000? Then what happens? Does it "install" or is this how I launch the app each time? Are there more files that I need?

you need to set up various directories and files on your server. I need to do a better write up on the web & reorganize my webiste. So it is still a bit hard to figure out right now. You also need to authorize mysql again its on my web site by setting a user without a password. Once you have your roku if you have any difficulties let me know.
b. What major features from the regular frontend is it missing? as long as it can do HD recordings I'll be happy.

it will play recordings sd&hd , play livetv, schedule by guide or search, show the tv guide, skip commercials,
c. How stable is this? Do people usually boot it up at use, or leave it running?

Thanks, and sorry if these questions have already been answered.

[/quote]
not too bad, I leave mine running all the time. As the developer of mythroku I try to address user problems and add features. However I do it in my spare time.

newlinux
Topic Author

Re: Questions about mythroku

Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:50 pm

Thank you. When I get my Roku, I'll try and set it up based on what I think is supposed to happen. Then if I run into problems i'll post back here with what I did, and what went wrong.

Oh do I ever need to telnet into the Roku to do anything? Does it have a default username and password?

And thanks for keeping the development up on this. I just happened on it when i was doing some searches - its enough to convince me to get HD1000.
HAve a good day!

jm_maclaren

Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:26 pm

yes you can telnet to the roku using root and there is no password.

newlinux
Topic Author

Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:50 pm

My HD-1000 (rev A unfortunately, but I have a compactflash card) is on its way. Does mythRoku require a certain firmware version on the Photobridge?

jm_maclaren

Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:18 am

newlinux wrote:
My HD-1000 (rev A unfortunately, but I have a compactflash card) is on its way. Does mythRoku require a certain firmware version on the Photobridge?

It is compiled for 2.0.34, 2.0.35 or 2.0.36. I use 2.0.35 with no problems. There is a link to the 2.0.35 on this forum somewhere I think. I and others have copies of that firmware. 2.0.36 can still be got from the rokulabs website.
While not linked, the 2.0.35 files appear to be still there too as:
http://www.rokulabs.com/developers/2.0.35/formatup.rok

I have no personal experience with 2.0.36 but there is some discussion of the pros/cons on this forum.

James

hondo

Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:57 pm

I run .36 with no problems.

satz

Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:43 pm

I run 2.0.36 without any problems on 3 devices. Sometimes I think the flash burn doesn't quite get all the bits written correctly. It looks like it is working. I recall re-flashing to get things to work properly again.