Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

slugw

found emails from Rokulabs.com in spam filter

Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:11 am

To those who complain that Roku service never got back to
them, I thought the same thing. Then I looked in the spam filter
folder of my Yahoo mail account and found their mail, with instructions
how to return the dead Soundbridge radio to get a replacement.

Good luck to all..

DJans

Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:41 pm

What I do not understand is, that ROKU does not offer spare parts. That is pure money for them...

aaronferrucci

Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:52 am

DJans wrote:
What I do not understand is, that ROKU does not offer spare parts. That is pure money for them...

Seems strange to me too.

So... did you have success with your experiment with KEMO M032 modules? Were you able to decipher the pinout of the roku amp board?

DJans

Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:48 pm

aaronferrucci wrote:
Were you able to decipher the pinout of the roku amp board?

No, not yet.

A friend of mine gave me a small 2 x 10W amp board that I have connected to 12V and to the internal speakers. I used a connector I inserted into the headphone jack and the sound is great.

I think I will not connect to the internal amp connectors but to the headphone jack. That is easier and faster to do for me. And then using a single 12V PSU for the whole system.

PapaSmurf

Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:15 am

I have a Pinnacle branded Soundbridge Radio which died last week - 13 months after purchase. To my relief I found that Pinnacle offer 2 years warranty so sent it back to Germany on a monday and got a brand new one on the friday!

Any tips for prolonging the life of my replacement unit? I was going to drill some holes to improve airflow, but I'd rather not!

Burkhardi

Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:34 am

PapaSmurf wrote:
I have a Pinnacle branded Soundbridge Radio which died last week - 13 months after purchase. To my relief I found that Pinnacle offer 2 years warranty so sent it back to Germany on a monday and got a brand new one on the friday!

Any tips for prolonging the life of my replacement unit? I was going to drill some holes to improve airflow, but I'd rather not!

Where were you going to drill holes? The enclosue is a tuned ported enclosue and if you were to drill holes in the woofer enclosure it would make the woofer not sound right, the bass would not be tight and you might even hear a whistle from the hole when a big bass note hit. Does this replacement unit have the same two year warranty?
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku

PapaSmurf

Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:46 am

From what I've read the main cause of failure is due to inadequate cooling - please correct me if I'm wrong. My layman's theory was to improve airflow and hence make it last longer. I'd rather sacrifice sound quality to extend it's life (though as you say whistling noises in time to drum beats could be slightly annoying!)

I'm assuming that my warranty for the replacement unit isn't another 2 years, but the remaining time from the original purchase - so about 11 months? That seems to be the norm in my experience anyway. I guess it depends on whether Pinnacle link the replacement unit to my old one?

Burkhardi

Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:36 am

Heat is a part of it, but I think it was heat from an issue that an ECO fixed. Roku put an ECO into effect (you can see RokuLyndon's post somewhere where he talks about the update units and how they have a "warranty void" sticker on them) that address the issue of the failing power supply.

As far as the whistle, I know for a fact it happens on large woofers and even a screw hole can do it, it sounds like the noise you get when you blow over an open bottle. I assume it would do the same on the R1000 woofer too, but I would be more worried about the holes letting the woofer flop around too much. A lot of work went into the sound quality of this system. Remeber this was to rival the Bose Acoustic Wave.

Also, it does get some air. When not playing the heat can vent from the port and when playing the woofer suck air in and out. crank that baby up and put your hand by the port, that little woofer really snorts! I was listening to some trance music the other day and it was blowing on a paper on the fridge side and make it move...LOL

Also, I think I have measured the heat with an IR meter and it's not too bad (but thats relative).

Are you in the UK or Germany?

As far as the warranty, I assume it would have a warraty as if it were new. Perhaps Alan my know?

PapaSmurf wrote:
From what I've read the main cause of failure is due to inadequate cooling - please correct me if I'm wrong. My layman's theory was to improve airflow and hence make it last longer. I'd rather sacrifice sound quality to extend it's life (though as you say whistling noises in time to drum beats could be slightly annoying!)

I'm assuming that my warranty for the replacement unit isn't another 2 years, but the remaining time from the original purchase - so about 11 months? That seems to be the norm in my experience anyway. I guess it depends on whether Pinnacle link the replacement unit to my old one?
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku

PapaSmurf

Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:19 am

Thanks again Burkhardi

I'm in the UK. I can't find RokuLydon's post about the updated units, but I can't see any warranty stickers on the replacement unit either - so i assume it's the older design. Also the serial number is 000406 compared to my old one of 000358, so seems to indicate not a newer one?

If the new unit does die, then I'll again have to send proof of purchase - but the only one of them I have is for the original purchase.

banner

Third Roku Soundbridge Radio...Dead

Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:55 am

Here's my history: I purchased my first Roku R1000 on 30 June 2007. By 27 November it had died. An RMA was quickly provided by Roku and I received a replacement in mid-December. Then on 14 July 2008, my replacement died. Both times, the symptom was the same: a completley blank screen. I checked power, attempted the "restart" while reapplying power and simultaneously holding a button on the remote. No luck - completely dead.

From the forum traffic, I understood that new power supplies were installed in the R1000 to fix the problem. The replacement provided to me in July 2008 has the "Warranty Void If Removed" sticker affixed to the bottom of the unit - supposedly meaning it had the new and improved power supply that would last more than nine months. Not so...in early March 2009, the my third unit died with the same symptoms.

I'll send a PM to RokuLyndon who has been immensely helpful in the past and hope for the best. However, my question for the forum: can anyone suggest an alternative network music player?

jdc1947

Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:51 pm

> banner

Your post is a true testament to the poor design and inferior manufacturing standards of the R1000 which IMHO Roku should withdraw from sale.
As compensation for the inconvenience caused to customers by this well known PSU failure all shipping costs incurred should be borne by Roku in respect of same.

In a country where it appears to us Europeans that Class Action Lawsuits are commonplace, I'm quite amazed that some young eager 'legal-eagle' has not grasped an opportunity to make a few bucks, for they would certainly win the case.

Thank goodness that the M1001 does not suffer the same poor build quality, but having said that, I don't use the OEM Roku wall warts as they are also highly suspect.

banner

Re: Attn RokuLyndon: Third Roku Soundbridge Radio...Dead

Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:54 am

RokuLyndon,

Per your request, I e-mailed lallydice on 1 April with my address and Roku serial number. I haven't heard anything back. On Friday, I sent you a PM with the same info. It is still sitting in my Outbox on Monday night. (Why is it that messages seem to sit there forever?)

I'm very grateful that Roku will be replacing the unit, but look forward to getting the RMA sooner rather than later.

Regards,
bbanner

banner wrote:
Here's my history: I purchased my first Roku R1000 on 30 June 2007. By 27 November it had died. An RMA was quickly provided by Roku and I received a replacement in mid-December. Then on 14 July 2008, my replacement died. Both times, the symptom was the same: a completley blank screen. I checked power, attempted the "restart" while reapplying power and simultaneously holding a button on the remote. No luck - completely dead.

From the forum traffic, I understood that new power supplies were installed in the R1000 to fix the problem. The replacement provided to me in July 2008 has the "Warranty Void If Removed" sticker affixed to the bottom of the unit - supposedly meaning it had the new and improved power supply that would last more than nine months. Not so...in early March 2009, the my third unit died with the same symptoms.

I'll send a PM to RokuLyndon who has been immensely helpful in the past and hope for the best. However, my question for the forum: can anyone suggest an alternative network music player?

banner

Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:50 pm

It really does have me puzzled. I'm located in England, so the R1000 is running off 220V. But based on the posts from the US, it seems that it happens just as frequently on 110V. Our R1000 sits on top of the refrigerator in a cold and drafty kitchen. A thermometer about two feet from the fridge seldom ever gets above 65, even on summer days. So it isn't running in a parcticularly hot environment.

jdc1947 wrote:
> banner

Your post is a true testament to the poor design and inferior manufacturing standards of the R1000 which IMHO Roku should withdraw from sale.
As compensation for the inconvenience caused to customers by this well known PSU failure all shipping costs incurred should be borne by Roku in respect of same.

In a country where it appears to us Europeans that Class Action Lawsuits are commonplace, I'm quite amazed that some young eager 'legal-eagle' has not grasped an opportunity to make a few bucks, for they would certainly win the case.

Thank goodness that the M1001 does not suffer the same poor build quality, but having said that, I don't use the OEM Roku wall warts as they are also highly suspect.

alanmc

Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:00 am

@ banner

The design of the R1000’s plastic case which totally lacks any ventilation for the PSU that remains permanently powered ‘on’, and thus runs at very excessive temperature, is a major contributing cause of these failures.

However, it is now a proven fact that by their selected use of very cheap underrated capacitors which are totally unsuited for the task (they should have used 105C low ESR type), Roku have marketed a unit that was bound to fail by poor engineering design.

If you read the various forums you'll regrettably find that Roku have had a "history" of poorly designed PSUs dating back to the PhotoBridge.

IMHO, your best option would be to ship your unit to Pete (g0pkh) http://forums.roku.com/profile.php?mode ... ile&u=5008. Send him a PM requesting him to rebuild your unit with the top-quality components that he uses in his upgrades of the R1000.

regnault

Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:41 pm

[quote="alanmc"]@ banner

[The design of the R1000’s plastic case which totally lacks any ventilation for the PSU that remains permanently powered ‘on’, and thus runs at very excessive temperature, is a major contributing cause of these failures.

However, it is now a proven fact that by their selected use of very cheap underrated capacitors which are totally unsuited for the task (they should have used 105C low ESR type), Roku have marketed a unit that was bound to fail by poor engineering design.]

Whilst I would agree that excessive running temperature is the major cause I am not sure that cheap underated capacitors are that significant. I had a total power supply failure about two months ago and replaced all of the capacitors with 105C low ESR components. However last weekend the power supply 'died' again :( Upon examination the 220uF 35V post rectifier capacitor on the 9V part of the PSU had expired. All of the other capacitors, including the 100uF cap on the 9V O/P showed no change. Others have said that the continous drain on the 9V rail is of the order of 500+mA whilst the specification on the OEM board is only 350mA. This means that although the voltage specification on the capacitors, 35V is fine the ripple current exceeds the ratings of most 220uF capacitors, the situation being worsened by the excessive temperature. I have replaced the capacitor again with another 105C low ESR component from a different manufacturer but am not hopeful of a long life. It may be that high ESR capacitors might have been a more relaible choice !

A couple of people have commented that 240V mains might have increased the failure rate. I think that although the primary switcher might generate a little more heat this is of second order as the majority of failures are on the low voltage, 9V side of the PSU. In my opinion all soundbridge radios with original power supplies will be doomed to fail.

The only reliable long term cure is to replace the PSU, there are good switching power units with similar power output around but finding the right one and soak testing it in the soundbrige case could take a lot of time.

It is also particularly anoying that this forum is monitored by Roku employees who are either not passing this information to their management or that the Roku management are remaining silent to cover their back-sides.