Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

jlsoaz
Topic Author

Digital Video Receiver?

Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:04 am

Hello everybody.

Can anyone make recommendations and lay out some of the issues in digital video reception? I have had digital audio reception for 2 years now thanks to Roku, but it looks like the Photobridge product that Roku offers for digital video reception is a product that the company is no longer as into.

I have a priority here, which is to identify whether it is possible to stream video directly from the internet to my TV. It is this feature (in audio) that has made my Roku Soundbridge a top-notch purchase for me, and I am hoping I can find the same in video. Of course, if necessary, I can keep my computer on, but I'd like to be able to watch video without my computer being part of the process.

I have listened to many hours of radio of various genres over the last few years, and I owe this entirely to my Roku Soundbridge. Before that I was pretty much stuck listening to CDs and missing out on a lot of music.

SirAiwa

Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:39 am

I have a couple of D-Links DSM-520. After the most recent firmware update, they are quite decent.

Some comments:
- Just like with audio, you don't need a computer ON all the time to access your video library. I am using a Linksys NSLU with UShare UPnP software. By the way, it's the same hardware that stores my audio library, but the audio is shared with Firefly.
- They recently added the possibility of streaming direct online TV content. I have not yet been able to make it work, and I don't really have that much interest for the (so far) crappy online content. Probably never will...
- Don't use it wirelessly. It's just too slow and shaky for video bandwidth(ok, you can use it if your wireless signal is awesome, but is it?)
- Don't expect the same fun as you have with Roku. DLink is not a small company, there are almost never new firmware and features released, and the we community (as far as I know) is not that big.

Cheers!

jlsoaz
Topic Author

Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:55 pm

Thanks for the informative reply. I agree, the fun-factor is also of some importance. I have an HP Media Smart Server to store vids, should I ever want to get them to TV. I'll check out the D_Link. I love this possibility they have added, of maybe streaming direct online TV content, but it sounds like that needs more research before I count on it, should I buy it.

jl

SirAiwa wrote:
I have a couple of D-Links DSM-520. After the most recent firmware update, they are quite decent.

Some comments:
- Just like with audio, you don't need a computer ON all the time to access your video library. I am using a Linksys NSLU with UShare UPnP software. By the way, it's the same hardware that stores my audio library, but the audio is shared with Firefly.
- They recently added the possibility of streaming direct online TV content. I have not yet been able to make it work, and I don't really have that much interest for the (so far) crappy online content. Probably never will...
- Don't use it wirelessly. It's just too slow and shaky for video bandwidth(ok, you can use it if your wireless signal is awesome, but is it?)
- Don't expect the same fun as you have with Roku. DLink is not a small company, there are almost never new firmware and features released, and the we community (as far as I know) is not that big.

Cheers!

jlsoaz
Topic Author

Re: Digital Video Receiver?

Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:19 pm

jlsoaz wrote:
Hello everybody. [...]

To add something here:

<a href=" http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/n ... 3B5878B%7D">
This news story</a> came out today which detailed a partnership between netflix and LG to come up with a set-top box to go straight from netflix to HDTV.

The high-def aspect doesn't mean so much to me. What is important to me is the same thing that was important when I bought my Roku M500: direct from the net to my media playback device (audio or video) without my computer having to be, in any way, involved.

SirAiwa commented as to the poor quality of internet TV content he could get. Seems like a fair comment, but I also think that as a matter of principle, I'd like to get up and running with direct from internet to my video screen, just as Roku helped me get up and running direct from the internet to my stereo system. Sure, there is arguably some great audio content on internet radio, while there is arguably not as much great video content on internet TV, but to some of us, this is not critical.

jl

jlsoaz
Topic Author

Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:16 pm

jlsoaz wrote:
Hello everybody.

Can anyone make recommendations and lay out some of the issues in digital video reception? [...]

I just spoke with Tivo. Kind of interesting. For their $12.95 per month subscription, and purchase of one of their devices I would (supposedly) get, (even without any cable reception)

1. Access to various internet TV signals.
2. The ability to do Amazon UnBox to my Tivo.

I was disappointed in the mandatory monthly subscription fee. For what? Otherwise, it seems like a good rounding-out of my knowledge as to what is out there and available and established. If they would eliminate the fee, I would probably buy it for access to the Amazon Unbox feature, in lieu of Netflix being ready with an LG box. The unexpected bit about internet tv stations being pulled in was reminiscent of my favorite feature for my Roku Audio. I guess the Tivo offers some audio features too, but I was not focused on that so much, except to notice that they seem to work with Rhapsody in some way.

I haven't tried any DVR yet, and so I can't vouch for these things working in the way the manufacturer is saying.

bobinchicago

Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:00 pm

jlsoaz wrote:
jlsoaz wrote:
Hello everybody.

Can anyone make recommendations and lay out some of the issues in digital video reception? [...]

I just spoke with Tivo. Kind of interesting. For their $12.95 per month subscription, and purchase of one of their devices I would (supposedly) get, (even without any cable reception)

1. Access to various internet TV signals.
2. The ability to do Amazon UnBox to my Tivo.

I was disappointed in the mandatory monthly subscription fee. For what? Otherwise, it seems like a good rounding-out of my knowledge as to what is out there and available and established. If they would eliminate the fee, I would probably buy it for access to the Amazon Unbox feature, in lieu of Netflix being ready with an LG box. The unexpected bit about internet tv stations being pulled in was reminiscent of my favorite feature for my Roku Audio. I guess the Tivo offers some audio features too, but I was not focused on that so much, except to notice that they seem to work with Rhapsody in some way.

I haven't tried any DVR yet, and so I can't vouch for these things working in the way the manufacturer is saying.

FWIW, you can head over to the very active Tivo community ( http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/index.php? ) and get more details regarding the specific features you might be interested in. There's also a broader http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/ where members are likely to have experience with a wider variety of DVRs.

It's true that your Tivo will work as a front end to Unbox, and there is a limited selection of Internet videos. (I count about 30 sources.) You can't go to arbitrary sites or use YouTube; you get what Tivo gives you.

With CES just wrapping up, the landscape has changed. I'll be honest: I've been a Tivo user since 2000 and can't wait for something better to come along, especially after the disastrous system software upgrade in September. If it's the best solution for you, I don't want to discourage you from getting it. Going into much detail is off-topic for the Roku site, but the two community sites I suggested and some of the DVR news sites (I like the blog at www.zatznotfunny.com but there are others) should be a useful reality check.

jlsoaz
Topic Author

Mon May 19, 2008 10:54 pm

jlsoaz wrote:
jlsoaz wrote:
Hello everybody. [...]

To add something here:

<a href=" http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/n ... 3B5878B%7D">
This news story</a> came out today which detailed a partnership between netflix and LG to come up with a set-top box to go straight from netflix to HDTV.

The high-def aspect doesn't mean so much to me. What is important to me is the same thing that was important when I bought my Roku M500: direct from the net to my media playback device (audio or video) without my computer having to be, in any way, involved.

[...]

jl

halle-friggin-lujia... Roku did it, even before LG:

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/05/r ... u-net.html

I just ordered mine.