Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

GaryDG
Topic Author

Modem/Router Recommendations for Roku Ultra w/HD TV and Xfinity internet connection?

Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:16 pm

Hi, I'm new to this forum. We just got a Roku Ultra for our 10 year old Sony HD TV and I got it connected OK, but I'm not super tech savvy. 

Next, we're planning to discontinue our cable TV and landline phone services from Xfinity. But, we would like to keep Xfinity's internet service for our pc desktop, laptop and iPad, and their mobile phone service for our iPhone XR phones. We are also planning to buy our own modem/router combo instead of renting one from them. 

I described our normal internet usage (for my wife and I) to the Xfinity counter guy, and he gave me a list of approved modems. He also suggested that we could switch our internet speed from Xfinity Blast! Pro (250mb) to Xfinity Performance Select (100mb) - a $25/month savings. 

I would appreciate any recommendations on which modem/router (combo/gateway) to buy? 

Also, are there any compatibility issues with the Roku Ultra and the main popular modem/routers for sale on Amazon, such as the NETGEAR Nighthawk Cable Modem WiFi Router Combo C7000?

Thank You!

ghb51

Re: Modem/Router Recommendations for Roku Ultra w/HD TV and Xfinity internet connection?

Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:02 pm

The only problem with Roku (any model) and routers from what I've seen have been special characters in passwords, like $ & * and so on. The Netgear C7000 looks like a good modem/router combo, the only thing it's lacking is a usb 3.0 port, although it does have a usb 2.0 port and you probably won't use it much anyway, so not that big of a deal. The only recommendation I have is to buy a modem and router separately if possible, they tend to be a little better spec wise individually, plus you can upgrade separately when needed, but a combo modem/router would be fine.

fluke

Re: Modem/Router Recommendations for Roku Ultra w/HD TV and Xfinity internet connection?

Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:55 pm

I do not recommend using a modem/router combination.  The first priority of a DOCSIS modem is to give configuration control to the cable provider as the device helps make sure the cable customer only gets the bandwidth throughput they are paying for.  Things you can do with a separate wifi access point such as decide to install the latest firmware or put off upgrading is completely in control by the cable provider.

If you have a subscription for 400 Mbps or less (both plans you talked about are below 400 Mbps), I recommend getting a DOCSIS 3.0 modem with 24 downstream channels and 8 upstream channels that uses a Broadcom chipset.  The Netgear CM600 and the Motorola MB7621 is such devices.

You can look up what type of chipset a device has on this website:
https://wikidevi.com/

If the device you are considering getting is stated to be an Intel Puma, I strongly recommend *NOT* getting it.  In comparison to Broadcom, Intel new to the DOCSIS modem chipset industry and I think the Puma can be shown to be immature and flawed.  While having 32x8 channels may sound better than 24x8, I still believe the Broadcom chipset is more practical.

For anyone that happens to have a subscription above 400Mbps, then it is best to get a DOCSIS 3.1 32x8 device such as the Netgear CM1000.  But this is an overly pricey device for the the plans being discussed.

If you combine either of the two DOCSIS 3.0 24x8 modems I listed above with a TP-Link Archer C9 access point router, you will get AC1900 wifi just the same as the Netgear C7000 while paying  roughly the same price for both devices.

twiceover

Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:01 am

Fluke's advise above is great though probably a little over most people's heads.  My only recommendation is to check with your provider to see if they have a modem compatibility list.  Even if you buy a DOCSIS 3.0 modem which should "just work" with any provider, they may tell you to "take a hike" because the modem isn't on their compatibility list.  If you have multiple ISPs in the area, see if there is a modem that is on both compatibility lists so you can easily change between providers.

Then buy a good access point that just does access point.

PSUHammer

Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:44 pm

Little late to this but to add, any modern wifi router will accomplish the job for you as far as Roku is concerned.  The max wireless throughput for Roku isn't much higher than 50-60mbps which is easily accomplished with entry level routers.  

GaryDG
Topic Author

Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:15 am

Thanks for the responses, I ended up getting a Netgear Cable Modem CM 600 and a TP-Link AC 1750 Smart WiFi Router. It took me a while to get the router settings right, I'm not even sure what I did to finally get everything connecting properly? But, all of our devices are working well now and we're happy to get rid of the cable tv bill. The only channel I really miss is Root Sports NW, which airs every Mariners baseball game live. I don't think there's a way to stream all those games with the Roku yet.

atc98092

Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:29 am

Yeah, I just did a quick search and Root Sports NW is not available on any streaming device. They do have an iOS and Android app, but that requires you having a cable/satellite TV subscription with access to their channel via that method. You would think they'd be exploring some way to join Sling or YouTube TV. However, you might be able to get Mariners games on the MLB Roku channel. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.