Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

AlistairMould
Topic Author

Failing to connect to Firefly Server

Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:17 am

I am a novice to this, but have recently been given an M1001 and am generally pleased with it. Internet Radio works consistently, however, without changing firewall settings or moving or changing anything around I am frequently (more often than not) getting a "failed to connect to Firefly media server" message.

It is so random, that I can connect one moment, and then 5 minutes later it fails again.

Can anyone make any suggestions, of a not too technically involved nature - I been looking through other issues and there's some scary stuff out there !!

My router is apparently a D-Link DSL-G604T.

rpedde

Re: Failing to connect to Firefly Server

Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:56 pm

AlistairMould wrote:
I am a novice to this, but have recently been given an M1001 and am generally pleased with it. Internet Radio works consistently, however, without changing firewall settings or moving or changing anything around I am frequently (more often than not) getting a "failed to connect to Firefly media server" message.

It is so random, that I can connect one moment, and then 5 minutes later it fails again.

Can anyone make any suggestions, of a not too technically involved nature - I been looking through other issues and there's some scary stuff out there !!

My router is apparently a D-Link DSL-G604T.

Is this a wireless connection? And what kind of machine is the firefly server itself running on? Is it a windows machine? And which version of firefly is it?

I ask because there are lots of versions floating around, some with known problems.

danme

Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:18 pm

Just to let you know. I have experienced problems with the avahi-daemon resulting in problems connecting from SB to mt-daapd. I have seen this issue for a long time.

First I tried stopping and starting mt-daapd - still connecting failed. Then I stopped mt-daapd followed by avahi-daemon also and then started the daemons in the reversed order. Then connecting from SB to mt-daapd succeeded.

Running debian etch.

AlistairMould
Topic Author

Firefly Media Server

Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:53 pm

I am on a windows PC (XP) running Firefly V1.0 as prompted by the Roku web pages.

It is wireless, but the problem can happen througout the house including right beside the router etc.

Danme - you lost me as soon as you said avahi-daemon !!

rpedde

Re: Firefly Media Server

Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:35 pm

AlistairMould wrote:
I am on a windows PC (XP) running Firefly V1.0 as prompted by the Roku web pages.

The 1.1b has a fix for sometimes failing to register the rsp service. So that might be one thing, and the link for that is in the sticky at the top of this forum.

It is wireless, but the problem can happen througout the house including right beside the router etc.

As a point of information, does it ever happen with a wired connection?

john-boi

Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:33 am

Sometimes I experience the same problem my soundbridge can't see the firefly server.

What usually works is double clicking the firefly icon then choose server tab then stop and restart the server then my soundbridge can usually find it again.

ojhazell

Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:30 am

john-boi wrote:
Sometimes I experience the same problem my soundbridge can't see the firefly server.

What usually works is double clicking the firefly icon then choose server tab then stop and restart the server then my soundbridge can usually find it again.

I have to do this too. Why is it, and can it be fixed? My Soundbridge Homemusic is one floor up, so re-starting my Firefly server is a pain!

rpedde

Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:00 pm

ojhazell wrote:
john-boi wrote:

I have to do this too. Why is it, and can it be fixed? My Soundbridge Homemusic is one floor up, so re-starting my Firefly server is a pain!

The 1.0 version sometimes fails to register teh rsp service. That might be one of the things that causes it. You can find the 1.1b version with a fix for that problem in the sticky at the top of the forum.

The other likely issue is wireless routers. Lots of them don't do multicast well. Sometimes a firmware upgrade will fix them. Sometimes there is a setting in the web administrative pages to enable multicast or IGMP.

Another possibility is firewalls on the server blocking multicast.

Those are the likely culprits.