Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

dupondt
Topic Author

PLAY SOUNDBRIDGE'S FAVOURITES WHEN RADIO ROKU IS DOWN

Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:45 pm

Hi folks,

whenever Radio Roku experiences service outages the most annoying thing is that SoundBridges cannot play your Favourites. However, I have developed a tool which amongst many other things not only allows the local backup of your Presets, but more importantly has the ability for SoundBridge owners to store their Favourites locally on their PC, so these can be played (on their SoundBridges) even when Radio Roku is down.

Before offering this to the public I would like to undertake some further testing and am looking for up to ten people who would test this software, report bugs (if there are any) and pass comments on its features.

The system requirements are as follows:

Intel Pentium III or equivalent processor
Microsoft Windows 2000 (SP 4), Windows XP Professional or Home Edition (SP 2), Windows Vista
Microsoft .NET 2.0 or higher
512 MB of RAM or higher
3 MB of free space on a hard disk, USB stick or memory card
Broadband internet connection

If you are interested, please send me a PM.

Greetings
dupondt
SoundBridge M1001 and M1000 • Clint L1 (retired) • DNT IP-dio (retired)
Google Chromecast • Amazon Fire TV • Amazon Echo and Echo Dot

alanmc

Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:33 am

For those of you registered SoundBridge Internet Radio fans who would really like to find a way to insulate your devices against problems with the Radio Roku Server, the software mentioned here solves this issue for you, as your Favorites are then stored on your PC. It also can backup or update your presets in an advanced reliable manner.

I've extensively tested this for over 3 weeks and IMHO I would back this 1001% as the solution you need. It worked magnificently for me during the last two server-failures.

Alanmc
Radio Roku Moderator

stretch

Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:58 pm

alanmc wrote:
For those of you registered SoundBridge Internet Radio fans who would really like to find a way to insulate your devices against problems with the Radio Roku Server, the software mentioned here solves this issue for you, as your Favorites are then stored on your PC. It also can backup or update your presets in an advanced reliable manner.

I've extensively tested this for over 3 weeks and IMHO I would back this 1001% as the solution you need. It worked magnificently for me during the last two server-failures.

Alanmc
Radio Roku Moderator
I've been testing the software when I can & have to say that it's a great piece of software.
I encountered only one little problem & dupont was able to fix the bug very quickly.

I like the software's ability to upload / download radio stations stored in the presets and use it to transfer the information from one SB to another.
2 x M2000's
Infrant ReadyNAS NV+ with Firefly svn-1676
NSLU2, 500GB Maxtor One Touch III, uNSLUng 6.8, Firefly svn-1696
music library in FLAC format

diannabill

Very Cool Program

Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:41 pm

Got this file this morning and am having a good time "playing" with it. Very easy to understand and use.

I do have a question:

Can I use this on more than one SB device? I haven't found a way to do that, but haven't completely finished reading the manual.

dupondt - GREAT JOB! I'm looking forward to getting set up.

Bill
Last edited by diannabill on Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

diannabill

Can We Have a SOFTBRIDGE Sticky?

Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:07 pm

Sure would be nice to have a STICKY Softbridge forum section. I'd love to hear from others who are using this great program and maybe share some tricks and tips.

:D

dupondt
Topic Author

Re: Very Cool Program

Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:57 am

Bill,

diannabill wrote:
Can I use this on more than one SB device?

Yes, by manually entering the IP address of the SoundBridge you actually want to use and re-discovering the MAC address. But as the actual "Silver" version can only store one set of Favourites at a time, you cannot switch between SoundBridges.

However, I am preparing a "Gold" version with automatic detection of all SoundBridges in a local network and support for an unlimited number of SoundBridges.

Greetings
dupondt

dupondt
Topic Author

Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:54 am

Hi all,

many thanks for the great interest in testing the software. As the maximum of testers has been reached, I won't hand out any more Release Candidates.

If none of the testers finds major bugs, I shall hopefully be able to release the final version on December 1.

Greetings
dupondt

OldGeezer

Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:47 am

Looking forward to it!
Looks like this is going to become a "must have" for many people.

TIA

mas

Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:42 am

Is there a chance that we will get a linux version at some point?

Because many users of the Soundbridge use a linux server as media server, so it would be logical to also use this for such an application.
Those who sacrifice freedom over safety deserve neither.

dupondt
Topic Author

Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:54 am

Hi mas,

as the software is based on .NET it will not be available for Linux or Mac OS (you can run it in a virtual machine, though). It would not make much sense to run it on a server.

Greetings
dupondt

alanmc

Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:46 am

For those SoundBridge owners who use Internet Radio my latest Tests on both the “Silverâ€

diannabill

I agree

Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:17 pm

I agree with alanmc and his comments regarding SoftBridge. I have been testing the program and am amazed at its capabilities.

With the recent outages of Radio Roku lately, having the ability to save and use your favorites is a terrific bit of insurance.

In addition, this program features a radio function which makes it a great way to quickly listen to stations, check out links, and decide which you'd like for favorites.

I've actually discovered quite a few new favorites and easily added them to my SB.

At least consider this program when it becomes available. You definitely won't be disappointed.

SuzieQ

Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:42 pm

This is a great program; it is easy to use, even without using the well-written manual, I was up and running in 5 minutes. I would not want to have to live without it anymore.

wideasleep1

Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:46 pm

Anxiously await the Gold version! :D
Then as it was, then again it will be
An' though the course may change sometimes,
rivers always reach the sea

M1000x2,M2000,Twonky 4.3.3 RC1 beta on LinkStation HGLAN400gig,Buffalo whr-g54s on DD-WRTfirmware-luv'in it!

alanmc

Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:03 am

@ wideasleep1

. . . . and there I was thinking you’d migrated 100% to only the NetFlix forums these days :wink:

Well I can tell you Les that when you get hold of the latest GoldEdition of this software you are going to be very pleasantly surprised. It even auto-detects all the SoundBridges on your network – Yes, it’s the tool that mends the shortcomings of our SoundBridges 8)

I’ve been testing this for quite a while now on an 8Gb USB-stick on which I’ve also installed some 4Gb of my own MP3s – it’s now a mobile juke-box and can play on any modern PC anywhere I try it, and with my “Favouritesâ€