Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

dupondt

Re: Duplicate MAC address

Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:02 pm

Hi DJans,

as you can see from the new forum structure Radio Roku is now officially a legacy product, too, so it isn't surprising that you didn't receive a reply from Roku.

I just sent you a PM so please check your inbox.

Greetings
dupondt
SoundBridge M1001 and M1000 • Clint L1 (retired) • DNT IP-dio (retired)
Google Chromecast • Amazon Fire TV • Amazon Echo and Echo Dot

doordevil1240

Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:38 am

Since you already pointed out that the Soundbridge Radio is a legacy product, and it seems that Roku support does not respond to this kind of mail, I think I might as well take the liberty to give a description how to work around this issue:

IMPORTANT REMARK: Use this procedure ONLY if you are in the same situation as the posters before me in this thread.

For MS Windows users:
- Check the IP-address of your Soundbridge device at your web-browser. (See manual below on Pag. 38 for Soundbridge M1000/M1001/M2000 users and Pag. 41 for Soundbrdige Radio R1000 users)
- Press the windows start button, and choose run.
- Type cmd, and press ok
- In the black window, type: telnet <IP-address> 4444 followed by pressing the enter button (See manual below on Pag. 49 for Soundbridge M1000/M1001/M2000 users and Pag. 57 for Soundbrdige Radio R1000 users)
- When you see a prompt like "SoundBridge >", type "rcp" followed by pressing the enter button.
- You don't see a command prompt now. Try to type help, followed by pressing the enter button to get an overview of the possible commands here.
- Type "GetUniqueId" (exactly) to get the current mac address.
- Type SetUniqueId to set a new mac address and press the enter button. For example: SetUniqueId 00:0E:8B:18:2A:C1
REMARK: I recommend not to use an address out of the blue. Increasing the last digit by one would do the job i.e. SetUniqueId 00:0E:8B:18:2A:C2 or SetUniqueId 00:0E:8B:28:2A:C1
- Type " exit" and press the enter button.
- Type "reboot" at the command prompt looking like "SoundBridge >" and press the enter button to reboot your device.
- Try the registration process again now.

For Mac OS X users:
- Check the Webpage of your Soundbridge device at your web-browser i.e. Safari. (See manual below on Pag. 39 for Soundbridge M1000/M1001/M2000 users and Pag. 42 for Soundbrdige Radio R1000 users)
- Goto "Status" and double click the link behind "IP Address".
- A pop-up appear telling you something like "Terminal is opening a telnet connection to …..". Press the Allow button here.
- When you see a prompt like "SoundBridge >",type "rcp" followed by pressing the enter button.
- You don't see a command prompt now. Try to type help, followed by pressing the enter button to get an overview of the commands here.
- Type "GetUniqueId" (exactly) to get the current mac address.
- Type SetUniqueId to set a new mac address and press the enter button. For example: SetUniqueId 00:0E:8B:18:2A:C1
REMARK: I recommend not to use a address out of the blue. Increasing the last digit by one would do the job i.e. SetUniqueId 00:0E:8B:18:2A:C2 or SetUniqueId 00:0E:8B:28:2A:C1
- Type " exit" and press the enter button.
- Type "reboot" at the command prompt looking like "SoundBridge >" and press the enter button to reboot your device.
- Try the registration process again now.

For Linux users:
- Well, with the description above, you already know what to do.

You can find the manuals here and here
If I overlooked anything, please feel free to comment me on thatl
1 x Roku R1000 SoundBridge Radio
2 x Pinnacle SoundBridge Radio
2 x Pinnacle SoundBridge
Firefly svn 1696 on OpenSuSE 11.3

jjaf

Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:50 am

Is there a risk of interfering with the legitimate RadioRoku IDs of other Soundbridge users with this technique?

Modifying a different part of the unique id may be preferable, e.g. SetUniqueId 01:0E:8B:18:2A:C1.
R1000, M400, M1001

eddieb

Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:02 am

The first 3 pairs of digits of a mac address identify the manufacturer of the device ... Better not change that.
And yes, in theory you might change the number into a number someone else ownes , But, if it works, it works :mrgreen:
I just changed the UniqueId of my 2nd SB by +1 and now all is fine here ! :D

jjaf

Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:40 pm

eddieb wrote:
But, if it works, it works :mrgreen:

Not good for some poor user who is now wondering what happened to their preferences.
You should try changing another part of the MAC id in addition to your +1; chances are it is simply treated as a string.
R1000, M400, M1001

jjaf

Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:11 pm

Will RadioRoku work with a mac ID of a different mfg?

One of us could try it. :idea:
R1000, M400, M1001

tedhessjr
Topic Author

Thu May 26, 2011 12:34 pm

Just to complete this discussion - the UniqueId is NOT the MAC address of the network interface. It is initially the same as the MAC but after you change it, the MAC remains the same as it was. The UniqueId is just for RadioRoku.

Have fun trolling for other account info with this (insecure) hack.

/ted

DJans

Mon May 30, 2011 2:35 am

tedhessjr wrote:
Just to complete this discussion - the UniqueId is NOT the MAC address of the network interface. It is initially the same as the MAC but after you change it, the MAC remains the same as it was. The UniqueId is just for RadioRoku./ted

100% correct but: If you set the unit back to factory defaults the Unique ID will be again the MAC address! :( Then you have to re-define your "new" Unique ID again.