Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

mparadis
Topic Author

Best Image Size?

Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:04 pm

Anyone know what the optimum image size is to display images on the roku HD1000? I've tried various things, the best quality seems to be 1024 high but then many of the images end up larger than the screen.

Or, is there a good image browser/slideshow player for the box?

Thanks.

Burkhardi

Re: Best Image Size?

Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:08 pm

mparadis wrote:
Anyone know what the optimum image size is to display images on the roku HD1000? I've tried various things, the best quality seems to be 1024 high but then many of the images end up larger than the screen.

Or, is there a good image browser/slideshow player for the box?

Thanks.

The HD1000 has a really good scaler buit into it. There are settings for the OEM picture viewer. one is a smart settign that pics the part that it thinks you would like and expands it. One shows the picture full screen and one will show the whole picture, but may scale it down to fit. Also, I think the OEM viewer can read camera flags for tilt (when you take a picture sideways) and it will auto ratate it. I assume the best size depends on what resolution you are running the box at 720, 1080 and so on.

Hope this is semi helpful, Matt
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku

mparadis
Topic Author

Re: Best Image Size?

Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:51 pm

>down to fit. Also, I think the OEM viewer can read camera flags for >tilt (when you take a picture sideways) and it will auto ratate it. I >assume the best size depends on what resolution you are >running the box at 720, 1080 and so on.

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the reply.

The resolution would switch between 480i and 1080i depending on the room it is being viewed from. I've been playing around with this and found that if I make the images large, such as somethingx1080, that as you say, the unit scales them properly. For the longest time, I was creating them as 1024x768 and the device kept sizing most larger than what ever screen I was using, and we have to scroll out to see the whole image.

I think I've found my answer by playing around but let me know if you think I might be overlooking something.

Mike

garywilson

Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:15 am

1024x768 is best