Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

jlsoaz
Topic Author

In theory, could the Roku DVP carry internet radio?

Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:12 pm

I'd like to listen to internet radio stations on my TV, as I now presently do using my Roku Soundbridge and my stereo system. Would there be a way to have the Roku DVP bring in internet radio stations as the Soundbridge does?

jlsoaz
Topic Author

Re: In theory, could the Roku DVP carry internet radio?

Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:22 pm

jlsoaz wrote:
I'd like to listen to internet radio stations on my TV, as I now presently do using my Roku Soundbridge and my stereo system. Would there be a way to have the Roku DVP bring in internet radio stations as the Soundbridge does?

Anyone know the answer to this question?

billc124

Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:26 pm

I am sure it could do it, but why would they cut into sales of the soundbridge? Think about it, why sell a product that does video and audio when they already sell a separate product that does internet audio? It would be cool, but I don't see them cutting into sales of one of their own products. They did name the product the Digital Video Player so I am guessing that they are going to focus on video streaming with it.

pusta

Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:35 pm

billc124

Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:39 pm

That was out a few days ago, I still don't see why it would be on the Video player, but if it is true, I will use it. Although Sirius is going to begin charging subscribers for internet streaming so it won't be included in your service fee anymore which really sucks.

jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:47 pm

Well I'd pay $5 a month to stream SIRIUS, but no more than that.. It's audio.. I can get audio AND video for much less, or just turn on my radio for free.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

billc124

Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:49 pm

I already have Sirius in my car and enjoy the web streaming, but I wouldn't pay extra for it. I can stream audio online for free from other sites. I use the Sirius because it is included in my subscription (for now).

jlsoaz
Topic Author

Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:04 pm

billc124 wrote:
I am sure it could do it, but why would they cut into sales of the soundbridge? Think about it, why sell a product that does video and audio when they already sell a separate product that does internet audio? It would be cool, but I don't see them cutting into sales of one of their own products. They did name the product the Digital Video Player so I am guessing that they are going to focus on video streaming with it.

My basic and first question is to nail down first if it could be done.

As to the business viability, there are plenty of reasons that Roku could and should consider doing this. They include that one cannot listen to radio and watch tv at the same time (generally) so if one is ok with using one's tv speakers for radio, it could be an interesting new "channel" on the roku to have access to audio channels.

Roku over the last year or two has at times seemed lukewarm in its focus on the Soundbridge, so I don't know where they're going with that.

Anyway, I still need to verify for-certain that the Digital Video Player could perform some or all of the functions of the Soundbridge.

-LD

Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:10 pm

Absolutely it could, no problem.

ronnath

Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:15 am

oh, goody. then i'll be able to hear the quality dots instead of seeing them as they decide whether the signal is gong to be two, three, or four beeps.

then when that's decided i can listen when the music stops mid-tune and reboots to a lovely buzz, buzz, buzz sound.
ron

RokuAnthony
El Jefe

Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:54 pm

Yes, the video player could do internet radio (or pandora or whatever).

We internally debate whether customers would appreciate music on it. You would have to turn on your TV to select the music. What do you think?

eri3k

Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:22 pm

RokuAnthony wrote:
What do you think?

Put me down for an emphatic yes. Especially if I will have the ability to add and configure services on my own, with or without the SDK.

dvo01

Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:22 pm

I'd love to see Slacker on it. It'd be great to see the Album art on a TV screen. Not as interested in Sirius/XM as I'm soon going to be a former subscriber.

-LD

Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:41 pm

My Samsung Blu-ray has Pandora (and Netflix). I actually began using Pandora because of my Chumby, then my iPhone, then my Samsung. I don't use it a lot, but it's nice to have. I think, because it's good and free, Pandora would be a popular offering despite the obvious need to turn on the TV.

Though, if Roku wanted to think outside the box, you could offer a centralized web management interface. This could give users the ability to add to their Netflix queue (similar to the instantwatcher.com site), or start and stop things like Pandora and other radio stations. Or, even better, allow a user to add from a list of several hundred Internet radio stations or add their own streams. This wouldn't replace the 10 foot UI, rather it would complement it.

mkolby

Shoutcast

Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:23 pm

Shoutcast would be a great added service, probably one of the easier ones to implement too. My old XBOX with XBMC does shoutcast. That's one of the few things I still use it for.